GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tune + Oil Changes?

davcohen

Ready to race!
I got this R around 28k miles and switched out the plastic Sump for a Metal one so I know the oil must have been fully drained, I got my tune around 29k miles and drove it till 33.5k miles and noticed the oil was almost completely black almost diesel black is this normal?

Stage 2 tune if it makes a difference. Should I be changing the oil more frequently then 5k or was this due to the the lack of a catch can?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The tune is not responsible for the black oil. I don't know why the oil was black. Who changed the pan? What oil did you use after the pan was changed?

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I mean, my oil is usually black around 4,000 miles but yet I still let it go until 5-6k. Maybe not diesel black, but it’s certainly dark. I thought oil color was not indicative of wether or not it needed to be changed?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I mean, my oil is usually black around 4,000 miles but yet I still let it go until 5-6k. Maybe not diesel black, but it’s certainly dark. I thought oil color was not indicative of wether or not it needed to be changed?

Don't rely on color, it's not a good indicator, unless maybe it's frothy like chocolate milk.

Best way to tell what your oil is doing.... www.blackstone-labs.com

davcohen

Ready to race!
Well thats good news, I thought typically it wouldnt be that dark so early on. It was either Castrol or Liqui Moly

I thought maybe it was a cause for concern but seems like maybe I was jumping the gun

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Well thats good news, I thought typically it wouldnt be that dark so early on. It was either Castrol or Liqui Moly

I thought maybe it was a cause for concern but seems like maybe I was jumping the gun

I do an oil analysis with each oil change, for each of my vehicles. Based off the results, I learned over time that on my truck I can do 15k mile oil changes, and even then the oil is still well within spec to keep going longer.

I’m just starting in on the baseline for my Golf.

davcohen

Ready to race!
Guess ill check out what color it is after a few hundred miles, I actually havent even driven it since making the post as its my second vehicle