GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSW Bathurst

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Looking to buy TSW Bathurst

In my reading online I found a post on a different forum where a guy was complaining about vibrations and saying that the wheels didn't fit right.

Does anyone know if this is true? Is the hub size not exactly right or something? Anyone own them on a mk7? Thanks!

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
IIRC, that one has a pretty large bore, so rings will be needed. I also needed them on my R56 (different model)

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I had TSW Bathurst wheels and absolutely loved them, although it was pretty hard trying to get them not to vibrate based on the bore size and having to use a hub ring. I had 6 sets of hub rings, I even 3d printed 2 sets so I could get a tight fit. I did everything possible to stop them from vibrating, tires rebalanced 4 times, I would hand torque them in gentle steps, hand tight, 30ft lbs, 60ft lbs, 90ft lbs., I ended up selling them, based on battling the vibrations and the ride on 19" wheels. I went with 18"wheels. Just before I sold them, TSW came out with a new hub ring which really made a huge difference, so if I wasn't at the end of my rope, I may not have sold them. They were really light, strong and looked great.

IMG_5834.jpeg

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I had TSW Bathurst wheels and absolutely loved them, although it was pretty hard trying to get them not to vibrate based on the bore size and having to use a hub ring. I had 6 sets of hub rings, I even 3d printed 2 sets so I could get a tight fit. I did everything possible to stop them from vibrating, tires rebalanced 4 times, I would hand torque them in gentle steps, hand tight, 30ft lbs, 60ft lbs, 90ft lbs., I ended up selling them, based on battling the vibrations and the ride on 19" wheels. I went with 18"wheels. Just before I sold them, TSW came out with a new hub ring which really made a huge difference, so if I wasn't at the end of my rope, I may not have sold them. They were really light, strong and looked great.

View attachment 208457

I think I read a post you made on another forum! This was my concern. Ill have to look into the newer rings. Sounds like a headache you dealt with. I think they are the best looking wheels out there. Absolutely love the look.

Do you know what rings I would need or would you just steer clear?

My other option is Konig Oversteer. They look similar but not as good

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
You just need to be sure that whatever ring you use is solid and 10mm or so thick. The MQB platform caused some issues with hub rings because the hub isn't 57.10mm from the base to the end, it's only 57.10mm at one spot toward the end, so if your hubring sat inside of the narrower OD portion it didn't contact and aid in centering.

hub profile 2.jpg

In any case, I've been running a set of 17x9 ET 50 bathhursts with 10mm spacers and the rings that came with them for the last few weeks and have had no issues with vibrations.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
These are the new ones, more of a bright blue, glossy.

IMG_E4970.JPG

IMG_4975.jpeg

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I have these as well, I love them for the weight savings. Mine are the 18x8.5 et43 variant.
I've had no issues with vibrations and I'm actually using the older style hub rings. I bought the set used. However, I would say I'm probably lucky based on other people's experiences with the older style hub rings. In any event, I would NOT let a shop take them on/off. I also plan on obtaining the newer style hub rings to alleviate any issues.
These do have a pretty large hub bore compared to most wheels, but that's the only con I have with the wheels.

IMG_1390.JPG

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Follow up question:

If you use the hub rings, will that prevent me from running spacers?

You shouldn't have any issue with using wheel spacers and the hub rings, assuming both are hub centric to the correct circumference. You may not need to though with the width and offset of these wheels. The TSW wheels I have are very flush since they're an inch wider than stock and at an offset of 43.