GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trying to update maps on SD card

Aquavit

Car(s)
Golf Variant Mk7
Hello all

I have just bought a new to me Golf Mk7 Variant 2015 which comes equipped with a Discover Media V1, the Navi software dates from 2015 and so I wanted to update to the latest 2020 version.

I'm located in the EU and understood that software/map updates could be done by the user/owner, what seems to be a simple process of downloading the updates from VW and installing on the SD card has turned in to a long and frustrating road to nowhere.

This is what I did:

Removed the VW labelled SD card and checked the file format (MS DOS Fat32)
Downloaded the new software version for 2020 from the official VW source
Copied the existing maps on to my hard drive (drag and drop)
Deleted the old map software (titled markets) and formatted the SD card
Loaded the new maps (titled markets) by dragging and dropping, it took 20 - 30 minutes to load just under 8Gb
Put SD card back in to the car but nothing happens, I get "Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data"

I've resorted to putting the old software back on but get the same message as above - so I'm now left with no Navigation function.

Where am I going wrong??

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hello all

I have just bought a new to me Golf Mk7 Variant 2015 which comes equipped with a Discover Media V1, the Navi software dates from 2015 and so I wanted to update to the latest 2020 version.

I'm located in the EU and understood that software/map updates could be done by the user/owner, what seems to be a simple process of downloading the updates from VW and installing on the SD card has turned in to a long and frustrating road to nowhere.

This is what I did:

Removed the VW labelled SD card and checked the file format (MS DOS Fat32)
Downloaded the new software version for 2020 from the official VW source
Copied the existing maps on to my hard drive (drag and drop)
Deleted the old map software (titled markets) and formatted the SD card
Loaded the new maps (titled markets) by dragging and dropping, it took 20 - 30 minutes to load just under 8Gb
Put SD card back in to the car but nothing happens, I get "Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data"

I've resorted to putting the old software back on but get the same message as above - so I'm now left with no Navigation function.

Where am I going wrong??
Don't think you're supposed to format it.

Aquavit

Car(s)
Golf Variant Mk7
Oh, will formatting wipe off something that isn't on an update?

I'm doing this on a Mac by the way, if that makes any difference. When erasing the existing content the computer asks which format to leave the SD card in.

Is there a way to fix this?

Aquavit

Car(s)
Golf Variant Mk7
I think it would help if I had the VW software "Discovercare".

This no longer seems to be available, is there some way I can locate and download the latest 1.0.4 version??

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Oh, will formatting wipe off something that isn't on an update?

I'm doing this on a Mac by the way, if that makes any difference. When erasing the existing content the computer asks which format to leave the SD card in.

Is there a way to fix this?

Try doing it on a Windows PC. Mac's put random extra files in with the right ones.

Aquavit

Car(s)
Golf Variant Mk7
I don't have a PC so not really an option for me.

This is creating way too much stress in my life, something that should be so simple!

In order to stop wasting more time I may have to consider purchasing a new SD card with the latest version of maps. I can go to a dealer here in Hungary and no doubt get hugely fleeced or I can source from eBay/Amazon. I notice the card has a code on it, mine is 5GO 919 866 Q, does the new card have to exactly match this code?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Formatting the card is absolutely no problem, I have always done it.

The maps come in ZIP format, they must be unzipped before you put them on the card. Personally I use WinRar but 7Zip or WinZip also are just as good. Unzip the files and then copy/paste the 2 files (DBinfo and a folder full of the Maps) to the SD card.

Updated mine to the 20/21 maps last week and absolutely no issues.

Aquavit

Car(s)
Golf Variant Mk7
Did you do that on a Mac?

The download gives me a folder (after I've unzipped it) titled P94_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT. Within that there is a folder titled "markets" and a small file "DBInfo.txt. Within the markets folder is one called "eu" within that are two folders "map" and "vde".

Does all of that go on the SD card?

Aquavit

Car(s)
Golf Variant Mk7
This what I have with the unzipped download, folders within folders. Do I just drop in the one folder "markets" or the one older within that: "eu", or two folders "maps" and "vde" or do I go further and drag across individual files?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 13.27.44.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 13.27.44.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,036

vag.flashdaten

Car(s)
A4
Free maps are only for Discover Pro... If you have maps on SD, then you have STD unit, so no free maps for you... You have to unlock your unit first.
Press Menu button for 5-10s and go to update menu, there is your SW/Train number, post it here

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Free maps are only for Discover Pro... If you have maps on SD, then you have STD unit, so no free maps for you... You have to unlock your unit first.
Press Menu button for 5-10s and go to update menu, there is your SW/Train number, post it here
Nonsense for ROW market. Discover Media maps can be updated by the owner.

Aquavit

Car(s)
Golf Variant Mk7

Interesting, thank you. Is this the number:

IMG_0385.jpeg