GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

True Real World MPG Golf R

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Hi All,

Looking at switching to a Golf R late next year. What is the real world mpg?

Please add as much info as possible.

Mine will be a 5 door dsg with stage 1 tune. I estimate mpg 25/30mpg. Anymore will be great:D:D

Coming from a GTD I estimate around £100 pcm more in fuel costs.

Thanks,

Rappy:cool:

ImolaR

Ready to race!
1500 miles and I've averaged 17US mpg lol. Lets just say i'm really enjoying the car :) Highway @90mph is around 22 US mpg which I think is acceptable. Not hard to get upper 20s low 30s if you are responsible lol. Manual car btw

TahoeR

Ready to race!
I reset the long term MPG clock on the car at 1,000 miles. I now have about 3,500 miles on it. That average is almost 25mpg. This excludes (VERY LITTLE) actual city driving. I live in Tahoe so I guess it would be considered rural and highway.

One main stretch of road I drive often is fairly flat and you basically hit 60mph and can set cruise control. That average is nearly 30mpg on that piece of road.

Another drive I do often is up and down two large passes going from 6,000 ft to 9,000 back and forth. Then met with normal flat-ish driving. That comes in around 26mpg.

I would say I'm VERY happy with the MPG of the car. My previous car was an 2004 allroad that was stuck around 18mpg no matter what I would do. And my other current vehicle is a 1995 Ford F350 with camper on it. Don't ask!!!

I was with family last night and we were discussing the true cost of electric cars. Through some light research and a little guessing at math it sounds like something like a tesla would save you roughly $1,5000/year in actual cost per mile. I'm not that impressed by that. The auto industry has people brainwashed into thinking that electric is free and clean. In missouri where much of my family lives the main source of electricity is coal. NOT clean. And then what about the process of making the batteries, where they go when they are outdated, etc..

Anyway, I can say I solidly get 25mpg in my real world average and that includes fun driving.

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
1500 miles and I've averaged 17US mpg lol. Lets just say i'm really enjoying the car :) Highway @90mph is around 22 US mpg which I think is acceptable. Not hard to get upper 20s low 30s if you are responsible lol. Manual car btw

Wow highway 90 I wish I lived in Florida. I'm pretty sure the cops in Michigan would just start shooting at that speed.

Taotao

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm Stg2, catless DP, live in the mountains, and average 22.5, driving it as it's meant to be driven...

26mpg on hwy going 80mph, is average for me, when just droning-along.

2015 w/DSG.

11300mi on car

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!

Driving it how it is meant to be driven in Los Angeles...

ImolaR

Ready to race!
And on i95 down here, the pace of the left lane is ALWAYS 80-85mph(limit 65). Only get a ticket if you're the only car. Its a bit odd.

SRoads

Ready to race!
600 miles, two fill-ups: I am averaging 30.5, with 80 hwy/20 city, but I drive between 65-70 mph on the highway.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I just got back from a four-day roadtrip which included hundreds of miles of mostly flat highway driving at ~80 MPH (with passing speeds above that) and use of air conditioning to deal with ambient temperatures in the high 70s to low 80s and clear, sunny skies. I averaged 26.9 MPG doing that. My car is a four-door (the only option available in the US) and DSG with APR Stage 1 and APR DSG tunes.

I didn't keep track of the overall fuel economy during the trip, which totalled just under 1000 miles. However, I did notice that driving at 65 MPH on sweeping country roads, the economy was worse than during high-speed highway driving.

Last edited: