GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

True Real World MPG Golf R

EF_Heynen

Passed Driver's Ed
Driven daily on a combination of surface streets and freeways for my 24mile round trip commute, I get about 21 to 22mpg. I have owned the car since April and run APR Stage 1 93octane high output.

Davey Jones

Ready to race!
I daily drive a stock R in TX with most of my commute on the highway (90% highway, 10% city) and I do not drive slow. Generally around 80+mph with many overtakes included. I average 26-28mpg on a normal commute.

Arkarma

Passed Driver's Ed
I got an R, and came from a mk6 GTD.

I used to get about 50mpg on the GTD, and now getting 25mpg on the R which has done 5000 miles. I highly suspect is that fact that I want to drive like a nutter 80% of the time but I figure what's the point of that magnificent machine if you don't wanna use it.

Have resisted Stage X due to personal finance plan and don't want any complications around service and warranty...

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I just got back from a four-day roadtrip which included hundreds of miles of mostly flat highway driving at ~80 MPH (with passing speeds above that) and use of air conditioning to deal with ambient temperatures in the high 70s to low 80s and clear, sunny skies. I averaged 26.9 MPG doing that. My car is a four-door (the only option available in the US) and DSG with APR Stage 1 and APR DSG tunes.

I didn't keep track of the overall fuel economy during the trip, which totalled just under 1000 miles. However, I did notice that driving at 65 MPH on sweeping country roads, the economy was worse than during high-speed highway driving.

How do you rate the dsg tune? Is it money well spent?

Rappy :cool:

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I got an R, and came from a mk6 GTD.

I used to get about 50mpg on the GTD, and now getting 25mpg on the R which has done 5000 miles. I highly suspect is that fact that I want to drive like a nutter 80% of the time but I figure what's the point of that magnificent machine if you don't wanna use it.

Have resisted Stage X due to personal finance plan and don't want any complications around service and warranty...

So, 30 is possible? Manual or DSG?

Was your GTD remapped?. How does the power delivery compare?

Thanks,

Rappy:cool:

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
10 mile drive to work on a 2 lane suburban road where I barely (if ever) reach 50, and usually only 35-45mph. Manual trans.

20-25mpg. 25 would be GREAT

Scharnhorst

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually got 32 mpg over a 50mile stretch for thanksgiving... 29 going, and 32 coming back. Now I a average around 55 mph...

Compared to my Magnum's v8, the RPM these cars are at cruising at 80mph... painful and no wonder they don't get great gas mileage.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R

No regrets here. I had a HPA Stage 3 DSG tune on my previous car (a Big Turbo GTI), and the APR DSG tune offers all the same features at a fraction of the price.

I would highly recommend a DSG tune if your ECU is tuned in order to take advantage of the changes in the powerband from stock. Add the convenience features like full-time gear display, elimination of automatic upshifts and kickdown etc., and it is well worth the money.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion

I'd say excellent, it really should've come that way from factory. Personally, I really hated how the stock US spec DSG programming behaved, I was so close to trade it in on a manual, now it does what I expect from a DSG.

As for money, is it $600 worth it? I can tell you won't get as much bang for buck as you get on ecu tune, I kinda wish is a little cheaper. But I am not regretting my decision on that, in fact I don't miss the stock version at all, much smoother and a lot more responsive, you can stomp in gas in D say at 40 mph, it'll instantly shift to 2nd. If i were to buy a DSG again, this is 95% likely my first mod. Not to mention, I haven't tuned the engine yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatisthatsound

Passed Driver's Ed
After 10k miles in every single condition from the beaches of FL to the rocky mountains I've averaged 24.7mpg.