GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble with starting from stop on 6MT

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
It just baffles me that you guys can drive a MT without tuition and then be left with the need to have to find direction on a forum, it’s madness!

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
It just baffles me that you guys can drive a MT without tuition and then be left with the need to have to find direction on a forum, it’s madness!
If you read the original post, it's not that I can't drive my car. It's just I want to baby my clutch so I want to optimize the wear. If you drive many cars you know that every model is different. You can see the comments from other people who are experienced and have to adjust to the car. I'm sure not all people are as paranoid as me.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Lots of high rpm starts. I rarely, if ever rev past 1k when engaging the clutch.

Clutch stop, spring and delay valve removal and a better fluid all help, but the CDV is the biggest difference from those.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm not in a disagreement with you about our loose testing requirement, just don't see the relevance of your post #21 (PRE-EDIT) in regards to the OP's post...no attempt to aid or support.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It always amazes me that you guys stateside can legally drive a MT on public roads without any prior tuition?, in the UK, if you pass your driving test in an auto, an auto is all you can drive, unless you take a manual test which allows you to drive both MT and auto, 95% of new drivers here take a MT test anyway which comprises 50/50 of a theory and practical assessment.
My mom has never taken a single driving test. The day she went to do her driving test, the police officer got called out and just passed her without her even getting in a car. Other states have had reciprocity, so she's never had to do a driving test.
We'll let anyone on the roads and the vast majority of American drivers think of it as a right, not a privilege.
I've spent a good amount of time in greater London and can't say that those drivers show much improvement from more rigorous testing though. Having also worked in Germany for years, those drivers are wildly more educated and considerate than just about any others. The one time I was forced to pass a car to the right on the Autobahn, I looked over and it was two US GI's.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
It doesn't matter what the laws are in the states. You don't live there do you? Either case nobody here can do anything about it. We are enthusiasts, that's why we are here and not at some political site trying to change law.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
My mom has never taken a single driving test. The day she went to do her driving test, the police officer got called out and just passed her without her even getting in a car. Other states have had reciprocity, so she's never had to do a driving test.
We'll let anyone on the roads and the vast majority of American drivers think of it as a right, not a privilege.
I've spent a good amount of time in greater London and can't say that those drivers show much improvement from more rigorous testing though. Having also worked in Germany for years, those drivers are wildly more educated and considerate than just about any others. The one time I was forced to pass a car to the right on the Autobahn, I looked over and it was two US GI's.

That's why they get an Autobahn and we don't lol

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
That's why they get an Autobahn and we don't lol
Also nice that most companies pay for your driving test. Sucker isn't cheap, and many don't pass the first, or second time.

I didn't know it was illegal to turn right on red. I asked a German colleague about it once, and said that people had turned right in front of me when I'd honked, and she said 'oh, they're just being nice to the American with a horn.' Oops.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Yeah, German drivers are very disciplined, the tests across western Europe are basically the same though, drivers in London are a breed of their own, (much like Rome) no doubt about it! What you find in London in particular though is a big problem of many Eastern European’s driving illegally.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
If you read the original post, it's not that I can't drive my car. It's just I want to baby my clutch so I want to optimize the wear. If you drive many cars you know that every model is different. You can see the comments from other people who are experienced and have to adjust to the car. I'm sure not all people are as paranoid as me.
Maybe your overthinking it a bit, as long as your as smooth as you can be without slipping the clutch there’s not much more you can do to prolong the life of it really.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, German drivers are very disciplined, the tests across western Europe are basically the same though, drivers in London are a breed of their own, (much like Rome) no doubt about it! What you find in London in particular though is a big problem of many Eastern European’s driving illegally.
Ha, no one is like Rome drivers. Except maybe Cairo drivers. New Orleans and Boston are about as close as we get.