GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trick to remove coilpack connectors?

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for all the replies. I have been working on VW cars since 88 and it’s old bolts or connectors that get me. Perrhaps it’s because there are 4 connectors all together but it just fights me.

I bought a pick set from HF, ordered a new terminal, 4 new ignition bolts, and the terminal wire tools from DAP.

I will have the ability to change the connector with broken tab if the tool or picks don’t work next plug change and also spare coil bolts in case they start stripping.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Ha yah broken tabs means you wrench on your own car. I broke tabs on 02 GTI 337, 04 Audi TT 3.2, 04 R32, and 10 GTI. Ha
You’ve had some collectible dubs!

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Ok I got a new tool from dap and it helped make disconnecting the coil packs a 5 minute job. The worst getting off was the one I broke the tab off. What worked on broken tab was prying from the front. It still clicked into place on install but looks a bit beat up. I put in some apr coils to test out the tool. Runs great.

Attachments

• 77BCB982-049C-4FE1-94C5-FC6048E4C8D1.jpeg
    77BCB982-049C-4FE1-94C5-FC6048E4C8D1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 230

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Ok I got a new tool from dap and it helped make disconnecting the coil packs a 5 minute job. The worst getting off was the one I broke the tab off. What worked on broken tab was prying from the front. It still clicked into place on install but looks a bit beat up. I put in some apr coils to test out the tool. Runs great.
What is the tool?

torjoreyri

Sorry for the necro, but I found this thread this afternoon after struggling with these connectors. Just wanted to add my 2 cents for what helped me. I ran out to buy a set of picks ($10 at home depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Precision-Hook-and-Pick-Tool-Set-4-Piece-60004H/302435929), and used the method demonstrated in this video:

But the tricky part was that the connectors were on REAL TIGHT. I wasn't able to stand in front of my car, lean over, and pull it off with one hand. I had to move to the side and use two hands. Turns out I had previously broken two clips last time I changed my plugs, and you'd never know the difference based on how stuck they were. It really seemed like they were just stuck on there until I used excessive force to overcome that initial friction. I also used a set of these harbor freight nylon pry bars - https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-4-piece-63594.html Specifically, I used the wide angled fork-looking thing. The gap fit over the pick as I loosened the clip, and then I was able to pry them up to get started.

So, after I got it started with the pick, I moved to the side so I could get a little more leverage with two hands, wiggled the connectors as I pulled back and eventually they all came off. The rest of the job took ten minutes.

I hope my experience helps someone else out in a few years.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Sorry for the necro, but I found this thread this afternoon after struggling with these connectors. Just wanted to add my 2 cents for what helped me. I ran out to buy a set of picks ($10 at home depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Precision-Hook-and-Pick-Tool-Set-4-Piece-60004H/302435929), and used the method demonstrated in this video:

But the tricky part was that the connectors were on REAL TIGHT. I wasn't able to stand in front of my car, lean over, and pull it off with one hand. I had to move to the side and use two hands. Turns out I had previously broken two clips last time I changed my plugs, and you'd never know the difference based on how stuck they were. It really seemed like they were just stuck on there until I used excessive force to overcome that initial friction. I also used a set of these harbor freight nylon pry bars - https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-4-piece-63594.html Specifically, I used the wide angled fork-looking thing. The gap fit over the pick as I loosened the clip, and then I was able to pry them up to get started.

So, after I got it started with the pick, I moved to the side so I could get a little more leverage with two hands, wiggled the connectors as I pulled back and eventually they all came off. The rest of the job took ten minutes.

I hope my experience helps someone else out in a few years.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, yes I have a new car now - 17 Audi A3 Etron with 1.4T. I changed the spark plugs using a pick and elbow grease. It was a breeze with a pick and I would have never thought of a pick without asking here.

The only issue with the 1.4 was an intake tube in the way of one of the coils, and the tube was hard to get back on…always something 😆

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Wish I had seen this about four hour ago (before I did not plugs, before I broke two of the four clips).

90% of the youtube videos on this subject give bad advise. Ugh.

Don’t worry, I broke a couple myself. Found this and it works like a treat most of the time.