GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trey's GTI Timeline (Pic Heavy)

pwnsauce

Meow
I figured I better start writing down the things I did to this car that I think are cool, I'm starting to forget stuff. Maybe I'll make it a timeline but it won't be too frequently added to, not enough money during school. :thumbdown: Also, some little silly things are mentioned, but a lot of these things are stuff that I couldn't find information on sometimes, so maybe this thread will help someone?
Here's what I can remember so far..

Engine / Exhaust
  • Eurodyne Stage "2" Custom Tune by Andy Samland (badass) w/ R intercooler
  • 42 Draft Designs Stealth Catch Can
  • Forge Motorsport Noise Pipe Delete "Cap"
  • EvoMS Intake
  • 3" Catless Downpipe
  • 3" Stealth Billy Boat Cat-back
  • GFB DV+
  • Golf R (2012+ Rev) Front Mount Intercooler
  • Snow Performance Stage 1 Water Methanol Kit
  • BSH SAI W/M Pump Bracket
  • CTS Throttle Body Spacer w/ Meth Bung
  • CTS Boost Tap
  • Neuspeed BanjoPort (In the proper lower banjo line, not the one on the turbo)

Suspension / Trans / Wheels
  • BFI Stage 2 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel
  • Audi S3/Golf R Shifter
  • 42DD Billet Shift Linkage Endlinks
  • ECS Billet Shifter Bracket Bushings
  • Miro 111 18x8.5 et 35 fronts 18x9.5 et45 rears
  • Nitto Neogens 215/40 and 225/40
  • H&R Street Performance Coilovers

Interior
  • PODI Dual Steering Column Gauges:
  • Digital Boost Gauge
  • Oil Temperature
  • Golf R Shift Knob/Boot/Trim
  • MK6 GTI Steering Wheel:
  • Clockspring and SWCM to accomodate
  • Complete LED Lit Interior (Ziza from ECS)
  • Auto Light Kit (Euro switch w/ Auto position & sensor)
  • 3M CF wrapped trim

Exterior / Lighting
  • ZKW-R Projector Lens Retro-fit
  • DEPO Smoked Side Markers
  • "Luminous" LED FTP and Fog
  • LED Plate Lights "goingfastparts"
  • Klii Rear Badge inlay BMP
  • Refinished Lower Valences
  • ECS Rear Wiper Delete
  • Caliper Paint Refresh
  • Thule Aeroblades

Vagcom
  • Rear Wiper disabled
  • Seat Chimes of course
  • FTP Lights enabled
  • Side Markers cold lamp diagnosis disabled (and resistor harnessed)

Anyway, I'll add more to that as I remember things, it is definitely incomplete.
Here's some pictures. Short descriptions to be added.

When I first bought the car, stock.

Coilovers were the first big thing. Kept the Detroits for a while, they grew on me.

I work at an audio shop..So, inevitably.. yea.
Wired 0ga.

Built a trunk out of MDF.

Carpeted, of course there is much more to it but we like pictures, words are hard lol

Not super correct as far as time chronology but catch can, intake, noise pipe delete.

Some of the catch can juices the first time I emptied it.

I used some plastic "dye" called SEM color coat, Landau black, to restore the gray valences and skirts. This stuff is amazing, it soaks in and it has lasted me over a year no, absolutely no fading or "flakes" as it isn't really a paint at all, although it comes in an aerosol can.

I tried some R style tails, I think I still want the helix..

PODI gauges

Projector Lens swap: Here is the original lens, then the new one installed, and a comparison of the Bosch trash vs the Morimoto gorgeousness. Then a before and after of the cutoff (testing with an LED flashlight) and then a vague night photo.

Probably about time to mention the wheels seen in the last picture.

MK6 Wheel and before/after of climate control swap. By the way, all the SWC buttons work with a Maestro RR module and the climate controls show up on the Kenwood screen as well. I had to do the 2.7ohm resistor on the SWCM as my car had dual stage airbags

Water meth
Here's the badass BSH bracket that puts the pump right in the most perfect spot on the frame -- where the SAI pump would normally be

Here's the R intercooler install

Pics of the clutch install and a few random shots of the car

Last edited:

Saki Ashraf

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice list of mods. I have a couple questions you can certainly help with.

I’m planning the mkvi steering wheel swap and I too have the dual stage airbags. Where did you pick up the “CH” SWCM? Where did you solder the 2.7 ohm resistor?

How difficult was the climate control swap and did you run into any issues?

Thanks for posting your info and pics!

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I love reading through these kinds of things, and with this forum slowly dying off its refreshing to see something new on here. Thanks for sharing.

I have Rotiform SPF wheels on my car right now, but i am in love with those wheels you got.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I love reading through these kinds of things, and with this forum slowly dying off its refreshing to see something new on here. Thanks for sharing.

I have Rotiform SPF wheels on my car right now, but i am in love with those wheels you got.

It's so sad, Facebook killed the forums. There are still quite a few of us that prefer and stick to the "old forum ways" though.

OP: car looks good man, glad to see other people going above and beyond to keep a few fine examples of the breed going. There really is something special about the MKV's.

pwnsauce

Meow
Nice list of mods. I have a couple questions you can certainly help with.

I’m planning the mkvi steering wheel swap and I too have the dual stage airbags. Where did you pick up the “CH” SWCM? Where did you solder the 2.7 ohm resistor?

How difficult was the climate control swap and did you run into any issues?

Thanks for posting your info and pics!

Thank you.
I actually got the SWCM and clock spring from a user on VWVortex, both for $45 shipped. But eBay is a great place to get them also.
Yes, I knew I would get a question about the resistor fix for the airbag light; information on that is scarce. It simply goes to the two inside pins (looking at it like it is in the picture.) The placement is obvious if you are looking at the CH revision vs your original.
The spot on the PCB is normally inhibited (on your original module) by two pins, on the CH they are just filled with solder. Just heat up that solder and install a through hole resistor between the two. With some examination of both modules, your clock spring, and an ohm meter, you can see for yourself that your OEM SWCM is supposed to be seeing 2.7ohms from your OEM clock spring. Here is a picture with the pins circled where the resistor makes both connections.

As for the climate control swap, it wasn't terrible. I found some info on vortex about swapping a couple wires to retain memory on the unit, otherwise it was plug and play, just had to run the "basic setting" sequences. I think I may have busted out the vagcom because it wasn't playing nice, and when I did I found out one of the heater flap door motors was bad (for the recirculating vent), which explained why it wasn't doing the basic setting properly (and no AC because of it.) Ended up disconnecting the motor till I replace it, and everything works flawlessly now!
This thread has good info:
http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread.php?6912210-Upgraded-to-the-MKVI-Climatronic

Thank you!
I like the SPF's a lot. They also look great on the MK4 platform in my opinion; I went with these because I found them new for a good deal, and I feel like the less sharp, curvy lines compliment this car well.

It's so sad, Facebook killed the forums. There are still quite a few of us that prefer and stick to the "old forum ways" though.

OP: car looks good man, glad to see other people going above and beyond to keep a few fine examples of the breed going. There really is something special about the MKV's.

Yea, I don't have a facebook any more actually, and really all I ever found on there was annoying people. On the forums people are more of a community..ironic really because of the anonymity kind of nature of these sites, you'd think people would be mean lol

I actually wanted to buy your bagged GTI when it was for sale I think, a couple years ago! I lived in the PNW. I liked it so much I found a stock GTI to do my own bidding with instead haha
You also have an awesome couple of things going on with your builds. Thank you for the input, very much.

Saki Ashraf

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the SWCM info. Just picked one up on Ebay but looks to be a Chinese part - hopefully it’ll work just fine.

I’ll be thinking about the Climatronic mod since it’s more technically involved. Plus I have a Pioneer HU and it will certainly not interface well.

pwnsauce

Meow
Thanks for the SWCM info. Just picked one up on Ebay but looks to be a Chinese part - hopefully it’ll work just fine.

I’ll be thinking about the Climatronic mod since it’s more technically involved. Plus I have a Pioneer HU and it will certainly not interface well.

No problem. Be sure to check out a diy on the install, it would be easy to get frustrated and break clips if you don't know about the tricky hidden one you have to use a small tool to push -- you'll know what I mean soon enough if you don't already.
The climatronic really wasn't bad. It obviously doesn't need an RCD-510 or anything to fully function, I just liked mentioning that programming my radio module properly allowed me to see climate controls on my Kenwood, as well as fully program every steering wheel button.
Check it out, it is worth the money -- if you decide to take the stereo out, the module can simply be plugged into a computer and programmed to interface another car that runs canbus/data through the radio:
http://maestro.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/102

I got the climate control on eBay for like $25 from a wrecked Eos, and the trim from a 2010 (I think) Jetta being parted for like $7 lol

Saki Ashraf

Passed Driver's Ed
Trey
Thanks again for the SWCM info. I completed the resistor mod and installed the CH module, clockspring and MK6 R steering wheel. It was a PITA to complete the steering adaptation taking at least 10 tries before success.

All the steering wheel control buttons work and it looks/feels great.

pwnsauce

Meow
I've since installed a roof rack for my bike and a BFI stage 2 clutch with SMF... the OEM one just wasn't cutting it any longer. Added pics