GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trans problem? What happened?!

ladringan320

Ready to race!
Car(s)
me?
20200330_075637.jpg

I don't know what I'm looking at, but I know something bad happened. While driving I heard clinking and looked under the car and saw this. Driver side front next to the wheel. Is this a quick fix or something more?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Looks CV related, as in it looks like you are missing some bolts (and ABOUT to loose another one at the top of the picture). Hopefully not too bad...
Have you had an alignment or any sort of suspension or axle work recently?

Last edited:

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Inboard CV joint bolted to transmission output flange. Looks like you have lost at least two bolts from it since I see two of the bolt spacers? hanging down, one from the one bolt and one near the frame to the right in the picture. As vbrad26 ask, have you had any work done on the car in that area? If so appears bolts were not torqued properly or if required replaced and the torqued correctly.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
What's all that gunk? Do I need to replace whatever gunk I've lost? Lol. Is this an easy fix? Order bolts and use my torque wrenches?
Axle should be pulled and the boot should be repacked. Have whoever replaced your clutch fix it on their dime.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I would have a conversation with the shop that did the clutch. It looks like you lost some grease from the axle but I would be more concerned of the trans case being cracked/damaged than a little grease missing.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
All that gunk is axle grease.
Add more grease and clean everything up and you should be good to go.
As long as those c-clamps did not cause any damage to the case...
But for sure bring it up to the shop that did the clutch, they should be the ones fixing everything.