GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trailer hitch and towing

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
This is primarily for my UK friends that own a mk7.5 R. In the US, the manual states to not install a hitch and not tow with the R. Is that the same in the UK or are you allowed to tow small loads? I ask because I sold my primary car that I pulled a small 4ftx8ft utility trailer and now I have to tow it with my 128 BMW convertible. While this set up works fine, I'm not a fan of towing the trailer with the 'vert. So UK folks, are you allowed to tow or not? Just curious...

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I’m in the US with a GTI, but I pull an 1500lbs trailer pretty regularly for over a year now, no issues.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
This is inspiring. If I had space to keep a trailer, I'd do it too, even towing stuff to VW meets just for the fun of it.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
CB43EA03-CAB5-423E-8683-4AAD51ED90E7.jpeg

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Quit fooling around and buy a RAM, this is a Merica' dammit........!!!

Went and test drove a new Gladiator last week and was going to trade the R in, but all manual trans Gladiators and Wranglers from '18-'20 are under a recall and the dealer wouldn't sell me one. Maybe just as well. I'd like a truck, but can't justify one long term, but I really like that stupid Gladiator just for the quirkiness of it. The trailer is a great option, no gas and no maintenance or inspections, but I need something better to tow it with than the 128... If I was smart I'd keep the R due to the fun factor and get an older V8 4runner to tow with.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed

jopster

Passed Driver's Ed
The main reason for the discrepancy in hitch and towing guidelines between the US and Europe is that towing vehicles in Europe are bound by a lower maximum speed limit (80-110 km/h depending on the country) than in the US where the only speed limit for towing vehicles is the posted limit for the road you're on. Max Euro spec towing capacities on sedans, hatchbacks, wagons etc are not safe for travelling 75+ mph because of their weight and in the absence of US state laws governing a specific speed limit for passenger cars that tow the manufacturers advise against towing.

That said, whether you can tow something or not in Europe is indicated on the car's registration certificate that each driver must carry and unlike almost all other VW's, a Golf R is not allowed to tow anything by law in Europe. You are allowed to carry a bike rack on a hitch though.

Ironically, it is legal to tow a trailer with your R in the US and you'll be covered by your car insurance, but it is not in Europe and you'll not be insured if something happens.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This is primarily for my UK friends that own a mk7.5 R. In the US, the manual states to not install a hitch and not tow with the R. Is that the same in the UK or are you allowed to tow small loads? I ask because I sold my primary car that I pulled a small 4ftx8ft utility trailer and now I have to tow it with my 128 BMW convertible. While this set up works fine, I'm not a fan of towing the trailer with the 'vert. So UK folks, are you allowed to tow or not? Just curious...

Pretty certain I’ve read somewhere that the mk7 Golf R wasn’t type approved for towing in the UK. There were no trailer load limits in the brochure for the mk7 R (see below), which seems to support this theory. Assuming this to be the case, then the mk7.5 R is unlikely to have been type approved for towing in the UK either.

Be aware that if you were to tow with a car that’s not type approved for towing, then you’d probably invalidate your insurance.

522EB272-9164-4FE3-9184-D542D3257A76.jpeg

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Considering I tow around 750-1000lbs with a Gen2 Prius on a regular basis for YEARS (mopeds on a small flatbed), I'm pretty confident my R will be just fine towing as well... given its better in every metric, including braking capacity. I actually just ordered the hitch for the car actually since I'm going to unload the Prius.

Edit: Also I wonder if it didn't get official approval due to the more aggressive rear diffuser. Seeing as that must be "notched" on most hitches I've seen to mount up to an R.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering I tow around 750-1000lbs with a Gen2 Prius on a regular basis for YEARS (mopeds on a small flatbed), I'm pretty confident my R will be just fine towing as well... given its better in every metric, including braking capacity. I actually just ordered the hitch for the car actually since I'm going to unload the Prius.

Edit: Also I wonder if it didn't get official approval due to the more aggressive rear diffuser. Seeing as that must be "notched" on most hitches I've seen to mount up to an R.

I'd appreciate seeing some pics of the final install and what had to be notched. Are you going to add the 4point electrical connector? If you are, I'd get the one that's powered off of the battery and uses the car wiring as the signal. Wonder if there is a special wiring harness that works with LED lights?

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
If you hit youtube, there are a few videos out there for hitch installs on an R that show the notching. Here I'll just link one, near the end he has some good close ups.

Kinda stinks, but I had to do the same thing to one of my AMG cars to get a hitch on it too :( you also really should use the euro style reciever extension, which I own. Otherwise trailer (at least mine) will be pitched incorrectly.

As far as wiring, not sure what I'll do there yet. I have wiring on my Prius, but I rarely use them because you can see the tail lamps clearly with my trailer at all times... so my state doesn't require them. I like having the option though if I get caught out at night though. Right now I just need to get a hitch on ASAP, because once I unload this old Prius I wont have any other way to move this trailer around.

I'd appreciate seeing some pics of the final install and what had to be notched. Are you going to add the 4point electrical connector? If you are, I'd get the one that's powered off of the battery and uses the car wiring as the signal. Wonder if there is a special wiring harness that works with LED lights?