GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS

MisterB

Ready to race!
So last night, I was picking up the wife along with her mother and sister from the airport following their week long shopping holiday. Loaded three large suitcases (barely) into the car and was driving home when this message showed up.

When I collected the car, the TPMS was set at 210kpa/30psi for a normal load of 2 passengers and a small load in the boot. Apparently, it decided that the load from the airport run was too much and needed more air in the tyres.

It was interesting to note that the message and warning symbol don't go away after you have filled the tyres up, but you have to set the tyre pressure on the infotainment system to reset it.

This is my first car with TPMS. Something new I learnt :)

Attachments

• IMAG0957.jpg
    IMAG0957.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 6,208

JonoSussex

Passed Driver's Ed
I got exactly the same in my scirocco under very similar circumstances last week. The VW system is damn good!

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Err but its not saying 'increase tyre pressure for additional load' - its saying you have a puncture (loss of air pressure)!

MisterB

Ready to race!
That did occur to me, but when i went by the petrol station and set the air pump at 210kpa, it indicated that my tyres already had the same pressure in it.

This morning as I went to my car, none of the tyres were flat.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, not sure its being that helpful in that case (telling you that there is a puncture if there is not!) ...

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
These false alerts are sadly quite common. I had about 5 in 4 years on my previous Polo, which uses the same system (ABS) to determine loss of pressure in a tyre.

I have already had one on the Golf in 6 weeks' driving...

matt2

Passed Driver's Ed
These false alerts are sadly quite common. I had about 5 in 4 years on my previous Polo, which uses the same system (ABS) to determine loss of pressure in a tyre.

I have already had one on the Golf in 6 weeks' driving...

When I put winter tyres on myexisting rims each year (and take them off again in spring), even though the pressures are correct, I get the warning.

The system detects that the tyres are rotating differently (inertia/momentum/?) then assumes that one of the tyres must need inflating. You can get the same effect by over inflating a tyre.

When you press the button to reset the system, it just learns how the new tyre rotates and assumes that this is normal.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I learnt the same very quickly after swapping my OEM allows/tyres for my winter alloys/tyres in late November, TPMS spotted the different almost soon after I drove off the first time after the swap.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
It's a false alarm because the ABS sensors can detect the circumference of the tyre. If you add load, it gets smaller (as it does if you have an actual puncture). It's sad to tell that my ex Peugeot 207 RC had sensors inside its wheels, measuring the actual pressure. But it had a slight problem. The air hoses were made from hard plastic and they broke easily. That's a weird case of puncture! Common in me. As the fuel gauge measurement in the Golf. Grrrrr:mad:

Anayat

Ready to race!
I'm curious as to how the system works, and if the sensor is inside the wheel itself? I had a puncture repair done and now i'm scared that the sensor if it is fitted to the wheel may not have been reattached properly, I don't trust Quik Fit

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I'm curious as to how the system works, and if the sensor is inside the wheel itself? I had a puncture repair done and now i'm scared that the sensor if it is fitted to the wheel may not have been reattached properly, I don't trust Quik Fit

Fear not as no sensor fitted to the wheel just uses the existing ABS sensor of the brake system.

There were markets, such as the US, where VW used transmitters fitted in the tyre valve housing but not in the UK.