GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS Sensors for Aftermarket Wheels on Golf TSI

larf

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Hi!

2016 VW Golf 1.8 TSI S

I am quite new to this car stuff, so forgive me if this question is a stupid one but I recently purchased a new set of wheels from Fitment Industries. After receiving the confirmation stuff, they sent me a message which said that the aftermarket wheels and tires that I just bought would most likely need to have TPMS sensors installed in them. Is this true? If it doesn't need TPMS sensors please let me know what I should do. Thank you!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Don't need them...MK7 & MK7.5 Golf has "indirect TPMS"....it works using the existing ABS reluctor rings in the wheel bearing unit....

To get actual TPMS sensor on each alloy is the "Direct TPMS" systems..these are usually on the top end models eg Tourag & Phaeton, Audi A8 etc...

All you have to do is "reset" the system via the infotainment screen when you fit the wheels back on...even taking a wheel off & not placing it exactly bolt hole to bolt hole back on will mess the previous learnt values up...

larf

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Okay, cool! So, I wouldn’t need to buy the TPMS sensors and I can just install the new wheels as easy as that and just reset the system in the infotainment system after installing?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Okay, cool! So, I wouldn’t need to buy the TPMS sensors and I can just install the new wheels as easy as that and just reset the system in the infotainment system after installing?

I'll repeat..:- there are NO TPMS sensors on the wheels........Yours is an "Indirect system" as it uses the existing ABS sensors on the wheel bearing which is part of the hub/strut unit..

VW (ERWIN) self study on the MK7 Golf systems:-

1685871159038.png

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Keep in mind that, as it's not true TPMS, it's more for catastrophic pressure loss rather than letting you know you have a slow leak. In my experience with it on my 2018 R, even though I reset it when I checked for full inflation, a couple tires were close to 10 psi low a few weeks later and the system did not alert me. So I have no idea what the tolerance is in this indirect system but, to my mind, it's pretty much close to useless. Yes, it did alert me when I got a cracked sidewall or a nail and pressure dropped significantly but it really ought to be calibrated such that it knows what a 5-10 psi loss is and let you know.

I'd definitely like to retrofit true TPMS sensors, have them connect to my phone and let me know what pressures are all the time rather than only when most all the air is gone.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Keep in mind that, as it's not true TPMS, it's more for catastrophic pressure loss rather than letting you know you have a slow leak. In my experience with it on my 2018 R, even though I reset it when I checked for full inflation, a couple tires were close to 10 psi low a few weeks later and the system did not alert me. So I have no idea what the tolerance is in this indirect system but, to my mind, it's pretty much close to useless. Yes, it did alert me when I got a cracked sidewall or a nail and pressure dropped significantly but it really ought to be calibrated such that it knows what a 5-10 psi loss is and let you know.

I'd definitely like to retrofit true TPMS sensors, have them connect to my phone and let me know what pressures are all the time rather than only when most all the air is gone.
I've had mine alert on a about a 6-7 psi difference....It stores the revolutions per mile data of each wheel(using the ABS sensor at each wheel...), and when it detects a shift outside a certain percentage...it throws you the TPMS sign language/message on the dash...If all 4 go outside the learned revolution per mile ("SET"/stored in the ABS ECU....) because you have neglected to check your tire pressure for 6-9 months, it will alert you as well. It also takes a certain amount of change over time or revolutions to throw the code since it's indirectly measure and not active with pressure sensors in the rim...our average tire size for Rs/GTIs is around 800 per mile....losing air would cause the revs per mile to increase, the ecu needs to see the increase to throw the code...

As a good rule, you lose about 1 PSI per month of air permeating through the rubber(and no seal 100% perfect...), and 1 PSI per 10 degree temperature change.

Easy math for example, I haven't check my tires in 6 months ( :rolleyes:)....and now its summer and it's 30 degrees hotter on average....you lost a total of 6 psi over 6 months....but you netted a 3 psi increase from the temperature increase....so your down only down a total of 3 psi on the gauge...I filled my tires and it was 60 degrees out.....now that it's 90....I would see about a 3 psi increase...on my tire pressure gauge

Last edited:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Okay, thank you everyone!
Remember your tire pressure is to be check COLD....you haven't driven overnight or hasn't been baking in the direct sun all day. Check or SET it in the morning....before you have driven. If you have to drive to get air, go 2-3 psi what is on the door jam....and if you have a spare, check it at least once a year and fill it up to the max number on the sidewall....

Last edited:

larf

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Remember your tire pressure is to be check COLD....you haven't driven overnight or your car hasn't been baking in the direct sun all day. Check it in the morning....before you have driven...
Will do! Also for the wheels and tires, do you know if 8.5" wheels fit into 225/40R18 tires without stretching? Thanks

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Will do! Also for the wheels and tires, do you know if 8.5" wheels fit into 225/40R18 tires without stretching? Thanks
Ugh... :ROFLMAO:....facebook generation....get off my lawn...as I yell at clouds....let me guess you want to lower it too.... and put cheep tires on chine-knees-i-um replica rims.....:LOL:...yes, it will probably slightly rub....lol....(end joke...)

Remember increasing your rolling mass (wheel and tire weight...) makes your car handle, brake, and accelerate worse....since you have a standard golf s....it probably came with 16s and you are putting 18s on it....

none to slight, slight depending on the brand of tire...

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: krs

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Not planning on it lol. So I'm good on the 8.5 wheels on 225 tires then, great.
Not knowing the rim offset of rims you are purchasing, and knowing the regular golf knuckle is a slightly different design....you could possibly have clearance issues on the inside of the rim to the strut.

This is the rabbit hole of aftermarket stuff, without having done research before we swipe the credit card.

Tire Rack does a pretty descent job of this, but you probably saw a cool video from a fitment industries guy, on the facetubes.... :ROFLMAO:. Please, resist the urge to be marketed into buying, drilled and slotted rotors and EBC red brake pads, as your next upgrade...

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
The offset is +45.
sigh...assuming since golf s....this is the last one...upping by post count...for today, in this thread...

1685916209001.png

AND YES, on average.... A generally stretch for a 225 on an 8.5....so it is know easier to curb your brand new wheels....fyi....you probably want a 235 if you dont want a stretch....

Last edited: