GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPC Performance Housing Turbo Thread (Not the IS38 Ball Bearing thread....)

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
What are your expectations? I’m around 900ft and hit 31 psi around 3800psi on my TPC25.
You are in Kansas City? Is that on a 3rd or 4th gear pull? If you are hitting target boost at 3800 it's going to be another 400-ish RPM higher here in Colorado(6k ft for where I am). I hit target with a standard Vortex at the same RPM as the XL's do it sea level, so on 4th pull right around 3400-3450. I'm definitely interested to see some data on these new TPC turbos on higher elevation cars. Not sure which one strikes the best balance between spool (since its much more an issue for us at high elevation) and top end power.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
You are in Kansas City? Is that on a 3rd or 4th gear pull? If you are hitting target boost at 3800 it's going to be another 400-ish RPM higher here in Colorado(6k ft for where I am). I hit target with a standard Vortex at the same RPM as the XL's do it sea level, so on 4th pull right around 3400-3450. I'm definitely interested to see some data on these new TPC turbos on higher elevation cars. Not sure which one strikes the best balance between spool (since its much more an issue for us at high elevation) and top end power.
I’m in Kansas City and that’s in 3rd gear. Going to grab a 4th gear pull soon. For reference, my previous turbo wouldn’t hit 28 psi until 4400 rpm under the same conditions…

Reactions: MSH

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Do you think power wise, the tpc25 is right between the rx500 and rx550?
Ya I would say it's a solid in between
I am also up at elevation (Colo Springs) so I would value spool over outright power.. I'm assuming the BB TPC20 spools better than the 25 but the 25 will have a better top end... I really don't want to end up in another TPC20 V1 situation where the turbo is laggy and just not really responsive; the trackslag DP helped spool on the JB tpc20 for sure but Idk, just hard to explain.. I just feel this car would be so much better w/a different turbo, a more responsive turbo would make the car feel like I shed 200 lbs from it.

As great as these new turbos are sounding, tpc also said the JB tpcs spooled fast as well and we all know how that turned out... I'm a little wearily(sp?). A kinda fool me once situation unfortunately.

railroader if you don't mind can I PM you?
Ya pm me

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Sorry for just seeing this.. so you say power wise it is a solid in between... would that be the same for spool as well or would the tpc25 still outspool the rx500?
I think the tpc25 would spool better than the rx500,

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Any more data updates anyone can share? Curious as to the difference in spool between the 770 and 38? Just wondering which one will be the better choice at high elevation assuming I'll be building the block on my R and get some mild porting on the head. That top end on the 770 is appealing but just wondering if it's going to be incredibly lagging up here at 6k elevation. I'm @ 510whp corrected with my Vortex Std on E85 right now. I'd like to be at high 5's low 6s corrected if I can hit that mark (again assuming built engine)
For reference I hit 31psi at about 3450rpm on 4th pulls on my Vortex Std

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Any more data updates anyone can share? Curious as to the difference in spool between the 770 and 38? Just wondering which one will be the better choice at high elevation assuming I'll be building the block on my R and get some mild porting on the head. That top end on the 770 is appealing but just wondering if it's going to be incredibly lagging up here at 6k elevation. I'm @ 510whp corrected with my Vortex Std on E85 right now. I'd like to be at high 5's low 6s corrected if I can hit that mark (again assuming built engine)
For reference I hit 31psi at about 3450rpm on 4th pulls on my Vortex Std
If you want high 5's at high elevation, then I would think you would at least need the 770.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
If you want high 5's at high elevation, then I would think you would at least need the 770.
If we are talking corrected #'s with a built engine I don't think I'll have any issues at all hitting high 5's. Uncorrected (and really the reality for us up here in the clouds) I'm sure I'd be lucky to just cross over the 500whp mark with that 770.
My Vortex Std on E85 is 510 corrected. The uncorrected # is depressing....420whp.
I love living in CO but it sure sucks for making power with ICE cars.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
What's going on with this Thread anymore updates on the TPC770? What PSI does it hit around 3500-4000k? On what fuel or E-blend? Are you still on stock Block?

AlltheMks

Car(s)
Mk7, Mk6, Mk3
Welp, just gonna ask here after going down the rabbit hole and damn near catching a seizure from conflicting info: I have a Stage 2 Mk7, IS20, Eurodyne ECU/TCU tune, intake + elbow, EQT TMD + discharge pipe, DP, full 3" exhaust, RS7 plugs....pretty much everything except for a FMIC. I was looking at IS38s, and not so surprisingly came across the TPC38. I bounced back and forth between the myriad of options, going from cheap OEM IS38, slightly more expensive Shuenk IS38+, the TPC BB IS38, and the TPC38; I'm currently stuck in the cost/benefit loop. I'm looking to keep dependability, but still have some fun on the freeways of Mexico (I'm like 15mins. away, so I actually mean that). My Mk7 is my DD, so not looking to get too crazy, just want to be able to put some of the V8 meatheads around here in their place. I really like the low-end grunt of the IS20, so I've also been checking out the TPC20/25s. Any thoughts/opinions about these offerings? I can't seem to get out of the "f-it, I'll just get a IS38...but the IS38+ is just $300 more...but the TPC is just $1000 more than that, plus it has BBs and pushes more air..." loop over and over again. Is the TPC38 the more prudent choice, being that it'll be less taxed in pushing ~400whp/wtq? I want a fun DD that can hold its own. Any input is appreciated.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
The
Welp, just gonna ask here after going down the rabbit hole and damn near catching a seizure from conflicting info: I have a Stage 2 Mk7, IS20, Eurodyne ECU/TCU tune, intake + elbow, EQT TMD + discharge pipe, DP, full 3" exhaust, RS7 plugs....pretty much everything except for a FMIC. I was looking at IS38s, and not so surprisingly came across the TPC38. I bounced back and forth between the myriad of options, going from cheap OEM IS38, slightly more expensive Shuenk IS38+, the TPC BB IS38, and the TPC38...

Sounds like you would want IS38 power. Running a larger turbo always results in slightly slower spool. That being said, the IS38 is known to surge at lower RPMs and needs to have special attention in tuning. This is not as much of an issue with a the TPC20/25/38. Spool is still fantastic on these. I run the TPC38 and spool 28-32 psi by ~3500rpm in 4th gear. The 20 & 25 both bring that back a decent bit.

That being said, I much prefer the slightly later spool compared to my standard housing Vortex. The way torque came on in the lower RPMs was much more challenging to tune. Part of that was Eurodyne limitations. Would have loved to tune one on Open Source since the tuning suite has proper Boost By Gear maps.

Realistically, my recommendation would be to go with a larger, non-IS38 wheel turbo. You won't face the surge issues that IS38s have. It provides extra headroom for future upgrades. It is easier to add fueling to support a larger turbo at higher flow rates than it is to install a whole new turbo.

I would aim for the TPC20 or TPC25. Same compressor & turbine wheels on both, but the 20 uses an IS20 housing vs. the 25 using an IS38 housing. The 20 will spool marginally better, while the 25 will carry a decent amount more top end. The TPC38 is a fair step up and you will run into fueling limitations much more quickly. I will say, it is a hoot of a turbo. Absolutely rips above 4000rpms. It will make way more boost than your stock block or front tires can handle haha. Wish I had mine on a Golf R or S3.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
1666456633077.png

Arob is 100% correct. Here is my TPC25 that I'm tuning myself using Open Source. Granted I'm running MPI and full e85 but in 3rd gear I'm hitting 30 psi before 3600rpm. Currently carrying out 32 psi to redline, and my next revision will carry it out to 35 psi. I feel like this turbo is a great option for those wanting to stay stock block and still make great power.

Hit up @railroader for the best price on a TPC20/25/38 and his tuning services are second to none.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Welp, just gonna ask here after going down the rabbit hole and damn near catching a seizure from conflicting info: I have a Stage 2 Mk7, IS20, Eurodyne ECU/TCU tune, intake + elbow, EQT TMD + discharge pipe, DP, full 3" exhaust, RS7 plugs....pretty much everything except for a FMIC. I was looking at IS38s, and not so surprisingly came across the TPC38. I bounced back and forth between the myriad of options, going from cheap OEM IS38, slightly more expensive Shuenk IS38+, the TPC BB IS38, and the TPC38; I'm currently stuck in the cost/benefit loop. I'm looking to keep dependability, but still have some fun on the freeways of Mexico (I'm like 15mins. away, so I actually mean that). My Mk7 is my DD, so not looking to get too crazy, just want to be able to put some of the V8 meatheads around here in their place. I really like the low-end grunt of the IS20, so I've also been checking out the TPC20/25s. Any thoughts/opinions about these offerings? I can't seem to get out of the "f-it, I'll just get a IS38...but the IS38+ is just $300 more...but the TPC is just $1000 more than that, plus it has BBs and pushes more air..." loop over and over again. Is the TPC38 the more prudent choice, being that it'll be less taxed in pushing ~400whp/wtq? I want a fun DD that can hold its own. Any input is appreciated.
Get a garrett powermax stage 1 2260. Same spool and responsive as the is38 but you will make 30-40whp more than the is38 on the same fuel.https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/turbo/2014-2018-volkswagen-audi-2-0-l-tsi-mk7-stage-1-stage-2-turbocharger/

AlltheMks

Car(s)
Mk7, Mk6, Mk3
The

Sounds like you would want IS38 power. Running a larger turbo always results in slightly slower spool. That being said, the IS38 is known to surge at lower RPMs and needs to have special attention in tuning. This is not as much of an issue with a the TPC20/25/38. Spool is still fantastic on these. I run the TPC38 and spool 28-32 psi by ~3500rpm in 4th gear. The 20 & 25 both bring that back a decent bit.

That being said, I much prefer the slightly later spool compared to my standard housing Vortex. The way torque came on in the lower RPMs was much more challenging to tune. Part of that was Eurodyne limitations. Would have loved to tune one on Open Source since the tuning suite has proper Boost By Gear maps.

Realistically, my recommendation would be to go with a larger, non-IS38 wheel turbo. You won't face the surge issues that IS38s have. It provides extra headroom for future upgrades. It is easier to add fueling to support a larger turbo at higher flow rates than it is to install a whole new turbo.

I would aim for the TPC20 or TPC25. Same compressor & turbine wheels on both, but the 20 uses an IS20 housing vs. the 25 using an IS38 housing. The 20 will spool marginally better, while the 25 will carry a decent amount more top end. The TPC38 is a fair step up and you will run into fueling limitations much more quickly. I will say, it is a hoot of a turbo. Absolutely rips above 4000rpms. It will make way more boost than your stock block or front tires can handle haha. Wish I had mine on a Golf R or S3.
Thanks for this thoughtful and thorough response. I seem to always default to the TPC38 whenever I get stuck in the loop, so I'm pretty much set on that over the other options (good job on pushing me over the edge! 😂). I'm talking myself down from MPI, just want a more stern kick in the pants here and there while maintaining good driveability and reliability, but it's good to know there's some good headroom with the TPC38 if (*when) I decide to go that route. I will say that the TPC25 looks and sounds very enticing; my caveman brain tells me bigger number better, but I've read up on people exhalting the TPC25 as a perfect fit for the EA888.3 engine, and Mk7Matt's post above certainly got my attention. Decisions, decisions.....