GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPC Performance Housing Turbo Thread (Not the IS38 Ball Bearing thread....)

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I can't believe someone is actually entertaining this request. Man up and install your turbo and then listen to it until you're deff.

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
I can't believe someone is actually entertaining this request. Man up and install your turbo and then listen to it until you're deff.
That time will come. Trying to recoup some funds for the install, so while I wait I will live vicariously through others 😅

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
He wants to download the sound so he can play it in his car while driving. Rice Rocket, away!!!
Speaking of turbo installs, you get your turbo installed yet?

Or better yet, get your car back?

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
The Vortex turbos have had issues lately and it mostly seams to be with the latest few shipments, an idea of how the qc was lacking was when they "eqt" had a rebuilt turbo they were sending me returned to them enroute cause they had found out that the manufacture may have mislabeled xl and standard turbos so some people were getting the wrong ones. I know that don't speak of the failures bit it does speak of qc, luckily eqt found out about it before long. I have seen a number of the turbos having issues with the journal bearings failing, a number of them not making or holding boost. Tpc has been out for some time and there are a lot of there turbos out in the wild, and tpc also doesn't make turbos for just this platform, they make turbos for just about everything.
Accurately comparing the reliability of two products that have both been out for some time, with a lot of them out there, requires accessing a large amount of information. Obviously, guessing is an option too.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Speaking of turbo installs, you get your turbo installed yet?

Or better yet, get your car back?
Nope on both. I'll be leaving work early today and make a surprise visit at my mechanic's shop. The last time I talked to him was 1.5 weeks ago and he told me that he was going to have my transmission out as of last week. Since I didn't hear from him last week or this week, then most likely it didn't happen.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry for going a little off topic but anyone have any thing good to say about the rx series turbos? I've been holding on to this BB rx500 for a couple months now to replace my V1 tpc20 (the JB tpcs...) but this thread is making me think if I should try to go for a a BB tpc25 and sell the rx? Any one that has tuned these rx turbos have anything good to say about them?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Sorry for going a little off topic but anyone have any thing good to say about the rx series turbos? I've been holding on to this BB rx500 for a couple months now to replace my V1 tpc20 (the JB tpcs...) but this thread is making me think if I should try to go for a a BB tpc25 and sell the rx? Any one that has tuned these rx turbos have anything good to say about them?
I have tuned an rx550, it was a good turbo no real complaints, it was in a 4-6k DA area so was laggy,, the.tpc25 will respond better I'm sure of it and will make same if not more power than the rx500, there rx is a solid turbo I just feel as someone who has tuned an rx as well as the tpc feel the tpc is a better choice

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I have tuned an rx550, it was a good turbo no real complaints, it was in a 4-6k DA area so was laggy,, the.tpc25 will respond better I'm sure of it and will make same if not more power than the rx500, there rx is a solid turbo I just feel as someone who has tuned an rx as well as the tpc feel the tpc is a better choice
I am also up at elevation (Colo Springs) so I would value spool over outright power.. I'm assuming the BB TPC20 spools better than the 25 but the 25 will have a better top end... I really don't want to end up in another TPC20 V1 situation where the turbo is laggy and just not really responsive; the trackslag DP helped spool on the JB tpc20 for sure but Idk, just hard to explain.. I just feel this car would be so much better w/a different turbo, a more responsive turbo would make the car feel like I shed 200 lbs from it.

As great as these new turbos are sounding, tpc also said the JB tpcs spooled fast as well and we all know how that turned out... I'm a little wearily(sp?). A kinda fool me once situation unfortunately.

railroader if you don't mind can I PM you?

Last edited:
Reactions: MSH

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I am also up at elevation (Colo Springs) so I would value spool over outright power.. I'm assuming the BB TPC20 spools better than the 25 but the 25 will have a better top end... I really don't want to end up in another TPC20 V1 situation where the turbo is laggy and just not really responsive; the trackslag DP helped spool on the JB tpc20 for sure but Idk, just hard to explain.. I just feel this car would be so much better w/a different turbo, a more responsive turbo would make the car feel like I shed 200 lbs from it.
What are your expectations? I’m around 900ft and hit 31 psi around 3800psi on my TPC25.