GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPC Performance Housing Turbo Thread (Not the IS38 Ball Bearing thread....)

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Here is a tpc25 on e61 I'm doing, 6mt gti this is 3rd gear pull, spool is great on these things, making 30psi at 3600rpm and running 34psi up top at 59% wg duty cycle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220513-201134_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-201134_Chrome.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 141

Jace

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 gti
So what are everyone's opinions on the vortex vs tpcbb turbos? I've read through so many threads and reviews and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Is that mostly what it comes down to, just whichever you feel like getting? Obviously they're both great, but Is there a clear better option?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Obviously they're both great, but Is there a clear better option?

My opinion, no. You can find fans and haters in both camps. Great results from both, as well as failed turbos from both. Plenty of threads how TPC is great and EQT sucks, and just as many threads how EQT is great and TPC sucks.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
So what are everyone's opinions on the vortex vs tpcbb turbos? I've read through so many threads and reviews and everyone seems to have a different opinion. Is that mostly what it comes down to, just whichever you feel like getting? Obviously they're both great, but Is there a clear better option?
I have had both turbos, had an Vortex since they came out, moved to the xl housing when it came out now with tpc770, the xl was good but I will say these new spec tpc turbos are great, my tpc makes target boost faster than my xl did, it also controls boost better, holds boost better and doesn't have to work as hard making boost up top per what wastegate duty cycle shows. My xl would struggle making 34psi as wg would be almost closed, my tpc at 36psi is only around 78% duty. There are other on this thread that have switched from Vortex to tpc38 and they will tell you the same, not taking anything away from Vortex as it was a good turbo. I am also a tpc dealer and I can get you a good deal on one. One more thing is if you haven't noticed, there are tons of Vortex turbos being sold off lately and there have been a rash of failures with them lately. PM me if you want any info

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
My opinion, no. You can find fans and haters in both camps. Great results from both, as well as failed turbos from both. Plenty of threads how TPC is great and EQT sucks, and just as many threads how EQT is great and TPC sucks.
Completely agree with Acadia.

There are too many haters in this space. Parts fail sometimes and especially turbos that are being pushed hard. How the company responds to parts breaking is what makes the difference.

I have owned both. The 38 was a good jump from the standard housing Vortex. My Vortex was rock solid for 20k miles and I pushed it pretty hard. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

Acadia also owned a standard housing Vortex. You can check out his build thread or DM him about it. I am sure he would share his experience.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I have had both turbos, had an Vortex since they came out, moved to the xl housing when it came out now with tpc770, the xl was good but I will say these new spec tpc turbos are great, my tpc makes target boost faster than my xl did, it also controls boost better, holds boost better and doesn't have to work as hard making boost up top per what wastegate duty cycle shows. My xl would struggle making 34psi as wg would be almost closed, my tpc at 36psi is only around 78% duty. There are other on this thread that have switched from Vortex to tpc38 and they will tell you the same, not taking anything away from Vortex as it was a good turbo. I am also a tpc dealer and I can get you a good deal on one. One more thing is if you haven't noticed, there are tons of Vortex turbos being sold off lately and there have been a rash of failures with them lately. PM me if you want any info
That's because people are starting to realize that they're not "all that" like everybody makes them out to be.

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
Completely agree with Acadia.

There are too many haters in this space. Parts fail sometimes and especially turbos that are being pushed hard. How the company responds to parts breaking is what makes the difference.

I have owned both. The 38 was a good jump from the standard housing Vortex. My Vortex was rock solid for 20k miles and I pushed it pretty hard. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

Acadia also owned a standard housing Vortex. You can check out his build thread or DM him about it. I am sure he would share his experience.
Where is that open intake sound video brah? 👀😅

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Where is that open intake sound video brah? 👀😅
Let me put a microphone in the engine compartment for ya lol. I will try and get something, been working on the car installing a few more goodies and mishimoto heat exchangers for.the dsg

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
Let me put a microphone in the engine compartment for ya lol. I will try and get something, been working on the car installing a few more goodies and mishimoto heat exchangers for.the dsg
Waiting for @arob157 too, since he has the 38BB and just got his open intake. Been salivating for audio from that setup since I'll be running one as well 😅

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Waiting for @arob157 too, since he has the 38BB and just got his open intake. Been salivating for audio from that setup since I'll be running one as well 😅
My TPC25 and IE V2 intake make all the spooly, wooshy and pshhhhhh noises. If anyone has a recommendation for a good wireless mic that I can put in the engine bay I could grab sound sound clips.

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S
My TPC25 and IE V2 intake make all the spooly, wooshy and pshhhhhh noises. If anyone has a recommendation for a good wireless mic that I can put in the engine bay I could grab sound sound clips.
Oh lawd. I can't wait to hear that 👀 . It may sound cheesy, but 1/2 the fun of having a turbo is the sound. We need to get some going for these updated TPC BB turbos. I know I'll be getting a lot of clips when I get my 38BB installed. Best ones are when you load the turbo when driving normally.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Oh lawd. I can't wait to hear that 👀 . It may sound cheesy, but 1/2 the fun of having a turbo is the sound. We need to get some going for these updated TPC BB turbos. I know I'll be getting a lot of clips when I get my 38BB installed. Best ones are when you load the turbo when driving normally.
Ordered a small mic with a long enough cable to run into the cabin from the engine bay. Gonna take some videos with it mounted near intake and turbo.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
If that is accurate it may be a result of the number of products in use, and the length of time they've been in use. The TPC turbos may show the same failure trend.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
If that is accurate it may be a result of the number of products in use, and the length of time they've been in use. The TPC turbos may show the same failure trend.
The Vortex turbos have had issues lately and it mostly seams to be with the latest few shipments, an idea of how the qc was lacking was when they "eqt" had a rebuilt turbo they were sending me returned to them enroute cause they had found out that the manufacture may have mislabeled xl and standard turbos so some people were getting the wrong ones. I know that don't speak of the failures bit it does speak of qc, luckily eqt found out about it before long. I have seen a number of the turbos having issues with the journal bearings failing, a number of them not making or holding boost. Tpc has been out for some time and there are a lot of there turbos out in the wild, and tpc also doesn't make turbos for just this platform, they make turbos for just about everything.