GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPC IS20 Hybrid from stock

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
From everything I have been reading from others as well as from @TwinDad an IS38 with GLI cam sounds kinda hard to beat. I'd love to see what a 1.8 with the above setup and the Trackslag 4inch DP does as far as spool and top end on 93.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I think I would need to see something more than a 107.5 trap speed to think it would be better than a regular is20 let alone an is38. I get it was just in 91 and no TCU tune, but why not just tune it properly on 93 with the TCU tune and see what it can do. Any is20 car can hit 107-108 on 93
Yea, same. I do 107+ mph trap speed full weight on 91 right now...

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Isn’t a launch edition listed at 2900lbs?

Full weight alltrack is in 3400 range.
Sure, but what I described is the slowest I get. Full pass through on the jb4, 91 octane, daily driver setup, tools in the back, etc...

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Isn’t a launch edition listed at 2900lbs?

Full weight alltrack is in 3400 range.
Ok, I’m a fwd SE sportwagen and I weigh around 280. With my tools for work and the two car seats in the back, I’m probably around 3,550. I would probably trap 108 on 93 with a regular is20. On e40 I’m pulling in scat packs and 5.0’s. A regular is20 tune from apr or Uni on an alltrack or 4motiin sportwagen traps 108

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
From everything I have been reading from others as well as from @TwinDad an IS38 with GLI cam sounds kinda hard to beat. I'd love to see what a 1.8 with the above setup and the Trackslag 4inch DP does as far as spool and top end on 93.
The infamous GLI cam.

Nikolai is the only person that's done a GLI cam right? We've got no side by side comparisons of spool.

The little baby tpc sounds neat but it's an answer to a question that wasn't asked.

The is20 and is38 are off the shelf OEM turbos that will put you in the high 2s and low 3s for power and do it with decent spool. If you want more than that then go with a bigger hybrid.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I'm interested in learning more about the GLI cam.. I'm currently running an APR tuned IS20.. Would I see any benefit from this? Would I need to find a different tune, or could I get away with my current setup.. And lastly this cam comes from the MK6 GLI, correct?

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm interested in learning more about the GLI cam.. I'm currently running an APR tuned IS20.. Would I see any benefit from this? Would I need to find a different tune, or could I get away with my current setup.. And lastly this cam comes from the MK6 GLI, correct?

Thanks!
I'm not familiar with the GLI cam but you might need a custom tune because the OTS tunes aren't designed for it. Just depends on how different it is.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I think there are 2 guys running the GLI cam on 1.8’s from what I’ve seen: Nik’s built BOSS600 GSW and a guy in Montreal with a UM tuned MPI IS38 GSW setup. Like Joe said, no side by side comparison to see what it’s doing on either car, but it doesn’t seem to be doing the UM car any huge favors…

It is also an expensive add on if you’re not doing the labor yourself, with totally unproven results. Out of all the available hybrids on the market, the only ones that appear to spool in a similar ballpark to an IS38 on a 1.8 (still a few hundred rpm later) with real upside in power potential are the EQT Vortex standard and the Ladermanufaktur LM440 IS20.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the GLI cam but you might need a custom tune because the OTS tunes aren't designed for it. Just depends on how different it is.
In reading through a bunch of other posts someone had mentioned the GLI cam, Big(er) turbos and the 1.8 | Page 6 | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum, I believe it's from the MK7 2.0 that doesn't have VVCT on the exhaust cam and so has 1mm more lift compared to the 1.8, beyond that sounds like the duration is the same. I don't think it would require custom tuning per-se, since it is mechanical. Sounds like @Hornung418 was going to be running it so he may be able to give some more incite into what was involved and the benefit.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I think there are 2 guys running the GLI cam on 1.8’s from what I’ve seen: Nik’s built BOSS600 GSW and a guy in Montreal with a UM tuned MPI IS38 GSW setup. Like Joe said, no side by side comparison to see what it’s doing on either car, but it doesn’t seem to be doing the UM car any huge favors…

It is also an expensive add on if you’re not doing the labor yourself, with totally unproven results. Out of all the available hybrids on the market, the only ones that appear to spool in a similar ballpark to an IS38 on a 1.8 (still a few hundred rpm later) with real upside in power potential are the EQT Vortex standard and the Ladermanufaktur LM440 IS20.
I would have to do more research but I wonder now too if the Mamba GTX2867R IS38 would be a good option, looks to be a small compressor than the Vortex and TPC20 so it should spool a bit better along with being a DBB setup for longevity. But I haven't seen anything about them.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
There is also TurboDirect SA who sells an IS38 with I would assume a GTX28 turbine/compressor and bearing system. I watched a ton of their stuff on youtube talking about hybrid IS20/38 and why they fail. Seemed to be very knowledgeable. Bolt on Vehicle specific turbochargers: IS38-450 FORGED Turbocharger IS38 Dual Ball bearing 450HP Longitudinal Engine only (turbodirect.co.za)
Just to muddy the water so much more. So the turbo I linked is for the longitudinal EA888.3 in the Audi's however they are coming out with a transverse setup. I was told it would be similar in size to a GTX28, so hopefully a 46mm/60mm compressor and 54/47 turbine so spool would be pretty close to an IS38 but with a potential of roughly 450HP. All that with being a BB turbo it would be interesting to see the potential on a 1.8 compared to the TPC20.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The infamous GLI cam.

Nikolai is the only person that's done a GLI cam right? We've got no side by side comparisons of spool.

The little baby tpc sounds neat but it's an answer to a question that wasn't asked.

The is20 and is38 are off the shelf OEM turbos that will put you in the high 2s and low 3s for power and do it with decent spool. If you want more than that then go with a bigger hybrid.
There are a couple of others guys running it as well. One was tagged above. That guy Justin. He is with UM and has mpi, lpfp, bigger turbo on his alltrack. While there is no side by side to compare, it’s no secret that the 1.8 has trouble spoiling bigger turbos without the vvtl. The GLI cam has more lift and supposedly everything else is then the same. So base on that and understanding basic cam principles, that will help it spool faster. Is it worth the labor? I guess if I were building for a big turbo I would say it would be

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
There are a couple of others guys running it as well. One was tagged above. That guy Justin. He is with UM and has mpi, lpfp, bigger turbo on his alltrack. While there is no side by side to compare, it’s no secret that the 1.8 has trouble spoiling bigger turbos without the vvtl. The GLI cam has more lift and supposedly everything else is then the same. So base on that and understanding basic cam principles, that will help it spool faster. Is it worth the labor? I guess if I were building for a big turbo I would say it would be

I'm relatively sure Justin is not running a GLI cam. He talked about it, but never did. @Hornung418 ? He also doesn't have an alltrack so different person? If he DOES, then let's just compare our power bands, because we have nearly identical setups (except mine is ball bearing and he's on a journal bearing).

Yes. More lift will help spool it faster. But it's not going to be 1000rpm faster, and I certainly wouldn't a) spend the time doing it myself or b) pay someone to do it for a few hundred RPM.