GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPC IS20 Hybrid from stock

ginsy

Ready to race!
Looking at future upgrades for my '19 GSW 4Motion 6MT, and want to maintain reliability, but still getting some more power out of it. I currently only have the APR+ tune and a K&N drop in filter, which brings it to I think where it should have started from the factory. But wanting a little bit more power out of it, I am looking into a bigger turbo.

Planned:
- TPC IS20 Hybrid
- IE Catted DP
- IE Turbo Inlet Pipe
- IE Turbo Muffler delete
- IE Cold air intake
- Southbend Stage II Endurance Clutch
- BFI Engine/Trans mounts
- Not sure which intercooler, plugs, coilpack, or tune yet

Anyone have any experience on the IS20 Hybrid from TPC, or has suggestions for the items I am not sure about yet? Or if they have experience with some of the other items and want to provide insight that would be great.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I love my TPC20. Been running it for probably 50,000 miles now. Others have had problems but that's true of any turbo. I recommend the Trackslag 4" DP. And EQT for tuning.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Go for the stage 3 clutch... or go with a DKM clutch. My stage 2 daily is not happy with the EQT tune, wouldn't want to imagine it on a TPC20. Personally I think turbo inlet elbows are a scam, and turbo muffler deletes are snake oil. The turbo dealer probably offers one as a package with the turbo though, so you could get it then. Intake is probably the absolutely last thing you need to do on this list, as the setup you have now is going to hold you until 400hp. If you're set on having this inlet elbow and nothing in the world is going to change your mind, do it with the intake at 400hp. For now you could take the snow grate out of the stock box if you want, lots of people recommend that "free" mod.

The only thing you need to concern yourself with over your downpipe purchase is the quality of the catalytic converter going in it. Not sure what's in the IE, but some of these $500-600 downpipes have garbage tier cats in them. Do your research and buy once. Edit: actually I lied, consider the bend section of the downpipe and fitment as well.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Go for the stage 3 clutch... or go with a DKM clutch. My stage 2 daily is not happy with the EQT tune, wouldn't want to imagine it on a TPC20. Personally I think turbo inlet pipes are a scam, and turbo muffler deletes are snake oil. The turbo dealer probably offers one as a package with the turbo though, so you could get it then. Intake is probably the absolutely last thing you need to do on this list, as the setup you have now is going to hold you until 400hp. You could take the snow grate out of the box if you want, lots of people recommend that "free" mod.

The only thing you need to concern yourself with over your downpipe purchase is the quality of the catalytic converter going in it. Not sure what's in the IE, but do your research and buy once. Edit: actually I lied, consider the bend section of the downpipe and fitment as well.
I have a remote dyno tune from EQT with my TPC20 and love it.
What is your concern?

ginsy

Ready to race!
Go for the stage 3 clutch... or go with a DKM clutch. My stage 2 daily is not happy with the EQT tune, wouldn't want to imagine it on a TPC20. Personally I think turbo inlet elbows are a scam, and turbo muffler deletes are snake oil. The turbo dealer probably offers one as a package with the turbo though, so you could get it then. Intake is probably the absolutely last thing you need to do on this list, as the setup you have now is going to hold you until 400hp. If you're set on having this inlet elbow and nothing in the world is going to change your mind, do it with the intake at 400hp. For now you could take the snow grate out of the stock box if you want, lots of people recommend that "free" mod.

The only thing you need to concern yourself with over your downpipe purchase is the quality of the catalytic converter going in it. Not sure what's in the IE, but some of these $500-600 downpipes have garbage tier cats in them. Do your research and buy once. Edit: actually I lied, consider the bend section of the downpipe and fitment as well.
Thanks for the heads up on the inlet elbow and muffler delete. And yeah intake was going to be the last item I would have purchased.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Your going to need mpi for fueling for that hybrid turbo. Your only choice for that with the 1.8 is United Motorsports. If you don't want to invest in the mpi, then just stick with an is20 or is38

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Your going to need mpi for fueling for that hybrid turbo. Your only choice for that with the 1.8 is United Motorsports. If you don't want to invest in the mpi, then just stick with an is20 or is38
And that turbo would be pretty laggy on a 1.8 with no exhaust cam adjustment right?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just so a GLI exhaust cam swap. Going to need a built engine most likely anyway. That turbo can do 450-500whp

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance