GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota gunning for the GTI with a GR Corolla

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Good to see old uncle Toyoda finally doing something about it's boring car image. Given the choice I'd sure go with a GTI again for my next car.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I'd rather get excited about the Yaris GR. Not a fan of the style, but driving a 2750 lb turbo 3cyl AWD rally homologation? Sign me the fuck up.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Definitely good to see Toyota getting back into exciting cars and with Ford exiting the game it's a great time.

Now Honda just needs to get it together and make a Fit Si/Type R.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Good, I'm glad to see more options coming to the US. Maybe Mazda will bring back the Speed 3 to compete
Speed3 was an amazing car Mazda offered. 272 6 speed from the factory with in dash gps.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
...Whats that 3 cyl turbo going to be like? I imagine it'll howl like a banshee...

Here's a 3 cyl that it won't sound like: Koenigsegg’s 2.0-Liter No-Camshaft Engine Makes 600 Horsepower
koenigsegg 3 cyl.jpg

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Ford now uses a 3 pot tubolated engine in the Fiesta ST. Although Ford only wants to sell trucks, SUVs & Mushtangs now.

The Yaris GR is called a rally homologation special, but in reality it isn't. Just clever marketing by Toyoda. Not much in common with the rally Yaris other than the number of wheels. Long gone are the days of building 200 street cars to homologate them for rallying. Those were the days.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
The Yaris GR is called a rally homologation special, but in reality it isn't. Just clever marketing by Toyoda. Not much in common with the rally Yaris other than the number of wheels. Long gone are the days of building 200 street cars to homologate them for rallying. Those were the days.
Always wanted to convert my 6th gen Celica into a legit Celica GT-Four WRC edition. But alas, broke college kid wallet controlled that situation.
That thing came with disconnected anti-lag from the factory. "We won't connect it ourselves because we don't wanna warranty it.... but you can do it though."

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I'm so excited for this car. Wonder if Toyota will put in an automatic or DCT as well to try and capture a greater range of drivers or people who just want to daily a hot hatch in a big city. The Veloster N has a 8DCT available now and it's gonna help immensely with sales I think.

I like it. The more important question is how much extra hp can this motor handle with a tune and bolt ons

I'd imagine a stage 1 or stage 2 tune wouldn't get much more than 330HP. Japanese engines aren't as overbuilt as VAG engines, and it is a 3 cylinder after all.