GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Definitely appealing. 70% power to the rear is certainly better than Haldex’s 50% max. Should be a good bit lighter than the Mk8 R too.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Always good to see more options, especially here in the states where CUV & SUV have taken most of the market share.

Hopefully if Toyota comes out swinging it’ll push VW into turning up the factory tune and putting real performance tires on GTI, GLI & R.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Always good to see more options, especially here in the states where CUV & SUV have taken most of the market share.

Hopefully if Toyota comes out swinging it’ll push VW into turning up the factory tune and putting real performance tires on GTI, GLI & R.
The Mk8 R is putting down about 340hp on dynos and comes on (crappy) summers, just like the AB GTI.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The Mk8 R is putting down about 340hp on dynos and comes on (crappy) summers, just like the AB GTI.

Volkswagen has been leaving the last bit up to enthusiasts for my entire life.

If they spent the extra $150 on their end to save $1,500-2k on the enthusiasts side they’d be way ahead in our eyes, but that $150 per car on a million cars adds up so they won’t.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Reading the editorial made me laugh a little...

More than 260 hp and rally pedigree. Look out, Golf R!​

The R advertised at 315 is pushing more than that at the wheels...

But what if Gazoo Racing decided to target Volkswagen's all-wheel drive Golf R instead? The Golf R packs 315 hp and 280 lb-ft in six-speed manual form, and 315 hp and 295 lb-ft with the seven-speed DSG dual-clutch. In theory the three-cylinder G16E-GTS can easily match those numbers. Indeed tuners in Japan are already getting 375 hp out of the engine, and they've found the GR Yaris' six-speed manual is robust enough to cope with that sort of grunt. A GR Corolla with 315 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque would likely deliver a 0-60 mph time of under 5.0 seconds, and a potential top speed of 150 mph.
So a tuned GR 3 cyl pushing 375... against a stock R. How about a tuned GR vs a tuned R? This is why I don't like some of this writers.

Also, what's the deal with pushing the limits of an oversized 3 cyl? When you can get the same power from the same size 4 cyl, I understand the size constrain in the Yaris, but not in the Corolla. I hope they rethink that if they think they are doing to target the R. A turbo charged M20A, or the T24 would be a better choice if they really want to get serious about it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

They'd have to install a better clutch at the factory and they just don't wanna do that, apparently.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Also, what's the deal with pushing the limits of an oversized 3 cyl? When you can get the same power from the same size 4 cyl, I understand the size constrain in the Yaris, but not in the Corolla. I hope they rethink that if they think they are doing to target the R. A turbo charged M20A, or the T24 would be a better choice if they really want to get serious about it.

I'll have to look up the engineering article I was reading, but it's actually easier to efficiently crank up a 3cyl turbo than it is to crank up a 4cyl turbo. It's really a multiple-of-threes thing, and that's why 6cyl twin turbos are so damn good. The multiple-of-3 engines see better turbine efficiencies and transient response with like-for-like turbos when compared to 4cyl and 8cyl.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'll have to look up the engineering article I was reading, but it's actually easier to efficiently crank up a 3cyl turbo than it is to crank up a 4cyl turbo. It's really a multiple-of-threes thing, and that's why 6cyl twin turbos are so damn good. The multiple-of-3 engines see better turbine efficiencies and transient response with like-for-like turbos when compared to 4cyl and 8cyl.
That's crazy talk. V6's are the devil.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
That's crazy talk. V6's are the devil.

Multiple-of-three cylinder engines and the related boon with turbo efficiency is actually a big reason why the current F1 engine formula is what it is. Those engines are punching over 50% thermal efficiency now -- their V8s of yester-year only ever got to 29%.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Multiple-of-three cylinder engines and the related boon with turbo efficiency is actually a big reason why the current F1 engine formula is what it is. Those engines are punching over 50% thermal efficiency now -- their V8s of yester-year only ever got to 29%.
I hate everything you just wrote. F every single part of those stupid lumps. Bring back V10's! I don't care if they spew fuel all over the ground like an SR71, they sounded like cars, not Dysons. It's F1, not a Greenpeace Parade.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I hate everything you just wrote. F every single part of those stupid lumps. Bring back V10's! I don't care if they spew fuel all over the ground like an SR71, they sounded like cars, not Dysons. It's F1, not a Greenpeace Parade.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I wanna hear and feel the V10s and V8s again and the sport just isn't the same anymore without that part of the spectacle.

But I understand why it's all happening and from an engineering standpoint it's incredibly interesting.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I wanna hear and feel the V10s and V8s again and the sport just isn't the same anymore without that part of the spectacle.

But I understand why it's all happening and from an engineering standpoint it's incredibly interesting.
Is it? Just make them electric already and let's move on. ICE is toast, and if it isn't and all it has to offer is anemic sounding, tiny V6's, good riddance.