GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Multiple-of-three cylinder engines and the related boon with turbo efficiency is actually a big reason why the current F1 engine formula is what it is. Those engines are punching over 50% thermal efficiency now -- their V8s of yester-year only ever got to 29%.

Thats the first time I hear that!?? Im googling a bit to see but I cant find anything? I just don't see how that would make a difference? I know the pulses of gasses and their timing matter as they reach the turbo... but how would the multiples matter? Wouldn't it all have to do with the design of the manifold?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Thats the first time I hear that!?? Im googling a bit to see but I cant find anything? I just don't see how that would make a difference? I know the pulses of gasses and their timing matter as they reach the turbo... but how would the multiples matter? Wouldn't it all have to do with the design of the manifold?

Gaahhhh I wish I saved the article. I was searching through my browser history yesterday trying to narrow things down, but I couldn't find it. I read about this months ago.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Gaahhhh I wish I saved the article. I was searching through my browser history yesterday trying to narrow things down, but I couldn't find it. I read about this months ago.
Everything is a compromise, right? V6's might be more thermally efficient, but they're unbalanced, sound like death and just basically suck. I6's sound great, are balanced and like to rev. But they're harder to package, hate gaskets and have issues with stupidly long cranks. V8's bring it all back, they're balanced, they sound good, they can rev pretty well, etc. But make it a flat plane and you lose the balance and low end torque, but my god, the sound. Same for V10's. V12's sound great, but they tend to be huge and complex. I like the screwball things like three and five cylinders though, which is weird because a three is just half of a V6, but eww..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I had a 99 Nissan Maxima with a V6 engine that I supercharged that ran fantastic. Over 320 WHP. Car only weighed 2900 lbs.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yeah I was more under the impression it was like bentin said, it was more at finding the sweet spot of packaging, and then the thermal efficiency was more because of the number of components/friction, if a balance shaft is used, etc...

The 1.6L V6s on F1 cars don't have balance shafts actually... they just live with it and do employ some clever solutions, like having loose weights on the crankshafts or some fluid inside that moves about and cancels out the imbalances.... but its all kind of secret, there is some threads in F1technical where they speculate... but not even the V8s or V10s had balance shafts....

I think I have read in some interviews with Andy Cowell (head of Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains) who said that the V6 designed helped them reach a higher thermal efficiency because they had less components and as a result less friction....

edit: If you see videos of the old F1 cars from the early 90s with the V12/V10s and V8s (the old V8s, like the Fords in the Jordan or Benetton) they never let them idle or stay at a constant rpm... always blipping the throttle... That's so the engines don't hit the imbalance and start resonating and breaking apart

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Toyota sucked in F1 /endF1techdiscussion - they built the LF-A with the tech they had and wiped their hands clean of the billions invested in the program
What does that have to do with anything? Are people lining up to buy Renaults?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
my point exactly post 12 to 24 lol, I think you guys are over thinking how great this 3-cylinder is
Dumb motors are cool. The 2.5L 5 banger is cool only because its a dumb motor. The 2.9T V6 makes tons more power, but it's boring in comparison. The Viper was cool because it had a dumb, huge V10. The Yota is cool because in a world of four bangers, it's coming in with a missing cylinder, but still quite competitive.

I do wish they just brought the Yaris as is, I don't really want something as large as the current Corolla, it's pretty much the same size as the too large Civic.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Dumb motors are cool. The 2.5L 5 banger is cool only because its a dumb motor. The 2.9T V6 makes tons more power, but it's boring in comparison. The Viper was cool because it had a dumb, huge V10. The Yota is cool because in a world of four bangers, it's coming in with a missing cylinder, but still quite competitive.

I do wish they just brought the Yaris as is, I don't really want something as large as the current Corolla, it's pretty much the same size as the too large Civic.

It's incredibly competitive. Motive hopped up their GR Yaris to 470 at the wheels. Full agreement in not being interested in the bloated Corolla version. I want the tiny widow-maker to put a big dumb smile on my face. Love tiny cars.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's incredibly competitive. Motive hopped up their GR Yaris to 470 at the wheels. Full agreement in not being interested in the bloated Corolla version. I want the tiny widow-maker to put a big dumb smile on my face. Love tiny cars.
Same. I still hold that someone like Kia or Mazda releasing a B5 A4 or E36 3er sized rwd sedan would make a ton of money in today’s market of huge cars and stupid SUVs. I’d be first in line.