GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Totaled car, Rental ending, MK7's not out yet - What can I do?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
As some of you know, I totaled my car recently (see sig). My rental is going back (per insurance) and I'm stuck w/o a car.

There aren't many 4dr autobahns (dsg; not black) used around 30k for sale and if they are, they're asking too much.

MK7's are right around the corner, so I don't want to spend too much otherwise, I may as well have gotten a MK7.. but I'm kind of in a bind.

Anyone have any advice?

Options:

Used GTI Autobahn - 30-35k miles, $23k ish

New GTI Autobahn - $28k

MK7 GTI - $27-28k Base + Performance Pack
--Can I get a MK7 4dr Base + Performance pack or is it only 4dr autobahns?

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Wait for MK7. Buy a beater to get you through until it comes out

+1 Just go out and buy your self a peice of crap civic or something for like $2000 until mk7 comes out. Either that or look into renting a car for a few more months. I have no idea what that would cost never had to rent a car.

If you really need a car maybe look into something else? I feel like you are going to be kicking your self for getting an mk6 after the 7 comes out (at least I would) so you can avoid that all together by getting something else.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Wait for MK7. Buy a beater to get you through until it comes out

+1 Just go out and buy your self a peice of crap civic or something for like $2000 until mk7 comes out. Either that or look into renting a car for a few more months. I have no idea what that would cost never had to rent a car.

If you really need a car maybe look into something else? I feel like you are going to be kicking your self for getting an mk6 after the 7 comes out (at least I would) so you can avoid that all together by getting something else.

I agree... renting is out of the quesiton. It costs about $30/day or $900/month! Way too much.

I need a relatively fun beater... I don't want to go through the summer in a shtty car. Maybe a Miata?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
There are so many beaters I'd go for. Miata, WRX/STI (bugeye or even older)... The options are endless. YOLO - which old car would you be most upset to have not driven when you're old and get your license taken away from you?

Edit: gonna keep listing cars as I think of them.

Saab 9-5 T
Hyundai Tuburon (becauseV6? idk..)
Ferd contour SVT
Protege 5
Eclipse GSX
7th gen civic si

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Miata, e30, 944, all cheap and stupid fun to hoon about in through the summer.
Any experience with these cars? Which would cause me the least trouble/issues/maintenance?

you wont have to wait all summer - june-ish.

Get yourself a Civic beater for $1500 - sell it when you are done with it for $1500
According to vwvortex article (not the forum), we won't get performance package GTI's until Fall. They're slowly ramping up production. And that, sucks giant sack.

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
If you buy a Miata, you won't want to get rid of it. Something to think about...lol. So easy to mod those things, PNP ECU options, slap a turbo and some RX8 injectors.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Any experience with these cars? Which would cause me the least trouble/issues/maintenance?

According to vwvortex article (not the forum), we won't get performance package GTI's until Fall. They're slowly ramping up production. And that, sucks giant sack.

I've had all but the Miata. Both the e30 and 944 were bulletproof. The catch is finding ones that are well-maintained. I can't speak high enough of the e30 or the 944. I miss my 944 daily. Both are cars I feel any enthusiast can really enjoy.