GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Total GTI deAutoKey LED Conversion Thread

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys! Received most of my goodies from deautokey and have already begun swapping out all non-LED lights with their compatible replacements. Today I will be reviewing and providing a quick DIY for the Glovebox, Vanity Mirrors, Hatch, and License Plate!

License Plate:

1) Pop out the license plate bulb holder with a flat head screw driver

2) Put a little bit of electrical tape around the end of the plastic holder that the deautokey LED is attached to (provides a tighter fit)

3) After removing the old bulb, push the new LED in (you will see groves that guide the bulb in) and twist...it will be a tight fit with the electrical tape but push and turn with force!

4) Attach the deautokey wire into the socket that the stock bulb was seated in

5) Tuck the wires and the small heatsink up into the hole (there is plenty of room to fit the extra wiring) and push the holder back into place. Voila!

Before:

After:

MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cleaner and brighter light output!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hatch:
***deautokey sent me 3 LED's (low, medium high) and a completely 'plug and play' housing with the LED's already installed and heat shield attached***

1) Pop out the light holder (located on the passenger side of the hatch) with a flat head screw driver

2) Replace the bulb with the deautokey LED (make sure LED's are pointed towards the opening!)

3) Put the holder back into the opening

Before:

After, Stage 1 (low):

After, Stage 2 (medium):

After, Stage 3 (high):

"Plug and play" Housing:

Again, MUCH cleaner and brighter light output, even with just Stage 1 (low). Stage 3 (high) is perfectly bright if you don't want to install their LED light strip. And to the best of my observations, the Stage 3 (high) is as bright/slightly brighter than the "plug and play" Housing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glovebox:

1) Same step, pry the housing out (located on passenger side of glovebox) with a flat head screwdriver

2) For this bulb, you need to pry off the heat shield.....just slip a flat head under one side and push up

3) Replace the bulb with the LED, put the heat shield back on, and push back into the opening

Before:

After:

The trend of cleaner and brighter continues!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanity Mirrors:

1) Can you guess this step? Yup, pop out the housings!

2) The prongs for the LED replacement are a little shorter than the stock bulb, so push the metal holder clips of the housing inwards slightly (enough so that when you push the LED in it requires a little force/pressure) and voila!

3) Put the housings back into the holes

Before, Both Vanity's:

After, Both Vanity's:

Wifey will be able to do her makeup any time of the day now!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HIGHLY recommend these cheap and easy LED replacements! Not only are they cleaner, brighter, and more efficient...but they make the interior match (no yellow bulb lights anymore!) And there are absolutely no bulb errors to code out/no extra steps required!

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Tail Lights/Reverse Lights Install (all steps apply to both sides of the car):

1) Near the back portion inside the hatch on either side are little cutouts in the fabric, pull back and you will see a large plastic screw with a spring, unscrew it

2) After unscrewing, pull the tail light section in an outward direction (don't be a afraid to use a little force, as long as you pull OUTWARDS you will not break anything). After the tail light section is out, this is what you will be looking at

3) The bulb holder is the portion above with the wire harness connected...it is held to the tail light assembly with two small pull tabs (hard to take a picture of). Pull both tabs out and the bulb holder pulls out from the tail light assembly. Replace the bulb with the new LED
***The actual bulb holder is held onto the main assembly by two tabs. If you look at the bulb holder, there are two slits (one on each side) and on either side of each slit there are two tabs. You have to use a small flat head to pry up one entire side (the bulb will now be on a slight angle) and then without letting the tabs you just pried up from re-engaging, pry up the other side***

4) This is the assembly with the bulb holder (now holding the LED) back in place. Perfect fit!

5) Replace the assembly by first pushing it straight back into place (you'll see two small tabs that push into holes on the outside portion of the assembly) and then screw the plastic screw/spring back in (finger strength tighten as much as possible, don't use pliers as the screw is plastic so you could strip it). VOILA!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One section down, one to go!

1) With the hatch open, look to either outside portion and find the small slot. Pry outwards from the slot to pull the cover off (little force is required, finger strength is more than enough)

2) For reverse light, just twist the black knob (upper left in the picture above) counter clockwise and you will be rewarded with the reverse light bulb and holder in one. Replace bulb with LED

3) To get to the second tail light, you need to remove the full assembly pictured in step 1. It has 4 tabs that need to be pushed out to free the assembly, like so

4) You'll be rewarded with access to the bulb, which can be taken out and replaced with the LED

5) Line the tabs back up and push the assembly into place. Screw the reverse holder back into place (clockwise) and replace the plastic hatch cover. VOILA!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***NOTES***
Before I go into comparison pictures, a few notes:

1) deautokey sent me two seperate sets of LED replacement lights for the tail lights (4 of each, 8 in total). I tested both (called Stage 1 and Stage 2) side by side so carefully read the labels to each picture below to make sure what is being compared to what. In the end I opted to use the Stage 1 LED's for the tail lights as they had *slightly* better output/look to them. Here is a quick picture of the Stage 1 and Stage 2 LED's next to each other (Stage 1 on left, Stage 2 on right):

2) deautokey also sent me two different iterations of the Reverse LED's. Both use the same LED assembly, but one version has no resistor and one does (so it has extra wires to hide, just like the License Plate LED's I reviewed above). Fortunately the non-resistor Reverse LED's they sent caused ZERO light out errors and worked plug and play fully. And while being longer overall than the stock bulb+holder, they fit like a charm. In all the pictures below, I am using the non-resistor Reverse LED's that were sent to me.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage 1 (driver side) vs. Stock, Tail Lights

Reverse LED (driver side) vs. Stock

Reverse LED (driver side) vs. Stock

Stage 1 (driver side) vs. Stage 2 (passenger side)

Full Stage 1 + Reverse LED Setup

Full Stage 1

Full Stage 1 (Brakes)

Full Stage 1 + Reverse LED Setup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Impressions:

Love the look. Brighter and overall cleaner. Also, the red these LED's put out is a more *natural* red, deeper. Again, CLEANER. Install is very quick and error free. Well worth the price. And I absolutely LOVE the look of the Reverse LED's. As you can tell, they have a bright white look, compared to the yellowish *bulb* tint of the stock bulbs. VERY VERY CLEAN. And throws out much better light, helping to illuminate more when backing up. And the LED's work for the brake signals and turn signals perfectly fine, no issues. Fast reaction/full illumination quicker than the stock bulbs, too.

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Cornering Lights:

1) Unscrew the front headlight cover and find the Cornering Light (the one with the silver wires plugged right into it). Pull straight out to remove the bulb (will take some effort)

2) Here is what the deautokey wiring harness and LED look like

3) The LED will fit but you will need to drill a small hole in the headlight cover to run the wires through
*** The H7 LED's deautokey ships out come with a small fan that attaches to the end of the LED assembly but the fan will not fit unless you drive without the headlight cover on. The fan is not needed, however, since the Cornering Lights are rarely ever on and are never on for extended periods of time***

4) Tape up the connection that is INSIDE the headlight assembly to prevent any possible shorts, push the LED into the stock bulb location, and put the headlight cover back on

5) At this point I used heavy duty Gorilla tape to cover the hole I made in the headlight cover to keep it as sealed off from direct elements (i.e. water) as possible. This is my temporary fix since I will be taking the cover back off for the Turn Signal install sometime later. My long term fix will most likely be a high-temperature resistant liquid foam to cover the hole completely and airtight

Here are pictures of how I managed the wire harness and resistor heatsink on the passenger side and the driver side.

Two MAJOR heads-up:
1) The gold heatsink gets VERY hot. Keep that in mind when securing it in the engine bay (i.e. - don't secure it to something that could possibly melt)
2) The driver side has VERY little room to work and can get a little frustrating trying to do so much in a little space. For extra room, you can briefly remove the Windshield Washer Fluid container and move it out of the way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before pictures:

After Pictures:

Cornering Off:

Cornering On:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the REAL DEAL. If there was LED replacement I have done so far that made the most difference it is these. Visibility to your side when turning is greatly improved and in clearer definition. As you can tell from the before/after pictures, the stock cornering bulbs have a very narrow pattern whereas these have a more broad yet brighter output to the sides. Can definitely see any objects that are in your peripheral field of view when turning.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the great review, all of the above items can be found here:
http://deautokey.com/category/mkvii-gti-leds

We will soon have: bright 800 lumen front turn signals
One of a kind footwells in red, blue, and a brighter white than your stock ones.

Keep a look out and subscribe to this thread for more info.

One product not shown is the trunk LED strip if you are looking for the brightest option for your car:

aulis

How can I order from deAutoLED.com to Finland. When trying to order from your webpage, it notifies "Sorry, product X doesn’t ship to Finland". I'm trying to order these two items:

- MKVII Volkswagen GTI Glove box LED - Bright - Crisp White - Error Free and
- MKVII VW GTI Entire Trunk Housing Bright / Error Free / Plug and Play

I contacted you through your web shop and you replied to my e-mail asking my address for shipping quote. I replied to you couple of times but haven't heard from you since then. Has my e-mails gone to spam folder?

I'm eagerly trying to order from you because the quality of your products. :)

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
How can I order from deAutoLED.com to Finland. When trying to order from your webpage, it notifies "Sorry, product X doesn’t ship to Finland". I'm trying to order these two items:

- MKVII Volkswagen GTI Glove box LED - Bright - Crisp White - Error Free and
- MKVII VW GTI Entire Trunk Housing Bright / Error Free / Plug and Play

I contacted you through your web shop and you replied to my e-mail asking my address for shipping quote. I replied to you couple of times but haven't heard from you since then. Has my e-mails gone to spam folder?

I'm eagerly trying to order from you because the quality of your products. :)

Sorry, you simply email deAutoKey@gmail.com with your address and product you'd like to purchase, they will quickly get you a shipping quote.

Thank you

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

moveingfaster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 R32
Just got my LED tail light bulbs today. Can't wait to install them. Question do they run as the parking lights and break too? I see they only have the two leads on them.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Just got my LED tail light bulbs today. Can't wait to install them. Question do they run as the parking lights and break too? I see they only have the two leads on them.

Yes, they are tails/brake LEDs:

To Purchase the complete set:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-complete-brake-osram-led-kit-bright-error-free-plug-play

These have been our most popular seller for a few reasons:
1. Almost everyone loves the style of the OEM housings vs the LED Tails
2. Our LEDs are as bright as the LED Tails
3. We tested our LEDs to be brightest available while causing NO ERRORS so they are 100% Plug & Play
4. You will save $700+ buying our LEDs
5. Easier to install vs a brand new taillight housing
6. Your tails as seen in the photo above will look like LED tails because our LED bulbs fill in more of the MK7 housing with red light

before and after photos lined up:

Has anyone tried installing their LED headlights into your low-beam housing?

No one has tried, it takes a lot of work to make your halogen into a HID, we have H7RC that work for the Passat/MK6 GTI, it will be very similar to this set up, but you most likely will need VCDs/Wiring:
http://deautokey.com/passat-b7-hid-diy