GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Total GTI deAutoKey LED Conversion Thread

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I agree the red led in the red lense does make for a more vivid red light compared to the clear halogen in the red lense. I also think it looks better. However I think the video represents perfectly the way they look in real life. The running lights are brighter with the led's but the brake lights aren't. I wish that wasn't the case as otherwise I think theyre great. I know the factory bulb is rated at 465 lumens so it would be nice to know what the led puts out. The website says "close to 500" but that's way more than what I've seen listed for any other 27 chip led.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I agree the red led in the red lense does make for a more vivid red light compared to the clear halogen in the red lense. I also think it looks better. However I think the video represents perfectly the way they look in real life. The running lights are brighter with the led's but the brake lights aren't. I wish that wasn't the case as otherwise I think theyre great. I know the factory bulb is rated at 465 lumens so it would be nice to know what the led puts out. The website says "close to 500" but that's way more than what I've seen listed for any other 27 chip led.

All chip diodes vary that are being used - each diode is close to 25 lumens, with variations it comes to 500 lumens.

Our 7440 is 30 chips.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
You're right there are 30 chips and if each one is "around 25 lumens" then that come out to close to 750 not 500. That would be more like 16 lumens per chip. I'm sure people out here are tired of reading it but I don't see it. I met my wife to do our taxes the other day after work and she followed me home. When we got here she, who doesn't care about cars at all and doesn't usually notice these things, said "you're right brake light is a lot brighter than you're left". My buddy swung by to show me the new E30 BMW he just bought and he said the same. I'll just wait a yr or so and as led technology keeps making leaps maybe I'll check out the tail bulbs then.
I was also wondering if the country where these are made is available. Like I said before everything else I received met and sometimes exceeded my expectations but I'm not a fanboy I call it like I see it.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Hoffdad and I got together last night to compare taillights (nice meeting you, BTW). I am at work now (and with end-of-the-month may be here till midnight), but I will post pictures later when I get home (hopefully Hoffdad will as well). Basically, the LED taillights are brighter than the incandescents, but the incandescent brake lights seemed slightly brighter then the LEDs, which is something I did not notice when I changed out the incandescent bulbs on just one side of my car initially. My opinion was that the LED appeared brighter than the incandescents. Side by side the incandescents as brake lights do appear brighter though. I think the LEDS are "redder" (if that makes sense), but as brake lights the incandescents hold a slight edge. As taillights, the LEDs are brighter.

I do wonder though if increasing the bulb voltage via VAG-COM would be beneficial to the LEDs.

----EDIT----

Here are the pictures I had, Hoffdad's Silver B7 with the incandescent bulbs and my blue B7 with the LEDs. Unfortunately the brake light pic I took did not come out , but I do have a video. The first 2 pics are just running lights. The video of the taillights and flashers is the 3rd one.

http://s785.photobucket.com/user/197...94219.mp4.html
This is a post I pulled from vwvortex from almost 2 yrs ago. He noticed the same exact thing I did -with the led's the running lights are brighter than incandescent and the brake lights are dimmer. That to me is an issue because the difference between the 2 is less making the brake lights less noticeable.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
We have no issue with you expressing what you see, that is fine so please don't get us wrong. We are trying to also say what we seen and found.

We had 1200 lumen LEDs not look as bright as the ones we offer now due to the beam angle of the LED.

The video you linked, the tails when brake is activated spreads more light from the LED even though the housing itself does look brighter in the regular bulb housing - that is most likely due to the ORANGE color vs deeper red so the white incandescent bulb/red housing is creating that start burst in the housing itself but it is NOT spreading light further than the LED as seen in the video - when you look at the ground/cars bumper/garage.

And as we said before this slight brightness you are seeing with the regular brake won't outweigh the benefits of the LEDs which offer:
1. a brighter tail light
2. quicker light up time
3. further light spread
4. deeper darker red color

In photo you can also see the regular bulb is creating more of an orange light vs deeper red from the LED.

The passat B7 LEDs, you are referring to our LEDs, our 194 wedge are less bright vs our 1156 red in the kit so there is more contrast when you use your brake. We'd need more info on bulb types as he could have got the wrong one if you are saying the brake/tail in the passat b7 is not noticeable.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the response and the screenshot. I guess I got my back up a bit because I was told you guys had never heard of this issue before but maybe you meant not with this specific car or these leds because that thread seemed to be full of people who saw what i saw.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the response and the screenshot. I guess I got my back up a bit because I was told you guys had never heard of this issue before but maybe you meant not with this specific car or these leds because that thread seemed to be full of people who saw what i saw.

We honestly never heard of the issue before in the mk7 tail/brake kit until seeing the youtube video, but we know from what we have seen in person the spread of light was always more when the brake LEDs were activated meaning it hit more area of other cars it was next to which many liked.

For the passat b7, that is different, the 194/1156 are 2 different bulbs - tails/brakes - we found if you use a VERY bright 194 Tails the brake / tail didn't have a good contrast, we quickly changed it and used less intense tails with brighter brakes, our passat b7 kits configured this way have always been a popular seller with great feedback.

Many who buy 1156/194 from other companies or piece them together sometimes run into that issue - and why our kits are tested and people know they can trust our kits and buy with confidence knowing that our kit won't have that issue.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
difference in brightness:
No problem!

Here is a comparison of the LED vs halogen tail light bulb. You can see the LED is a "deeper" red with 100% even coverage within the housing. The halogen has a slight white hue to it as it is a plain white light bulb and you can see the "hot spots" and parts with less coverage. Another benefit is the "instant on" full brightness of the LED bulbs versus halogen when using the turn/brake signals as well..

buy a set now:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-complete-brake-osram-led-kit-bright-error-free-plug-play

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
UPDATE TO THIS DIY:
No resistors are required for OUR H7 CORNERING LEDs -- totally plug and play with no issues or cutting into the dust cap:

Product Listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-cornering-leds-h7-error-free-bright

Price was also lowered and they are flying off the shelf - no waiting - ships same day priority mail with tracking - get it by the end of the week with no worries - fully tested to work: