GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Torque Wrenches

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Where would I get it calibrated?
I have a 1/4" Harbor Freight that I lost faith in. Probably cheaper to just replace it...
sure is...calibrating isn't worth it unless it's a high-end torque wrench.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I used the highly advanced technique of hanging something of known weight at a distance of 1 foot or whatever distance it was. My big torque wrench was spot on (at least for how precise i could realistically expect my test to be). The other torque wrench was way off and changing the adjustment on it did basically nothing, so i threw it in the trash. Obviously not a real calibration, but a good sanity check nonetheless.

Pretty sure I took a picture of it....lol

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I've got 1 HF click type that goes to 200 inch lbs. Paid $10 for it on special.
A Gearwrench with a beam, that covers higher levels but overlaps the HF.
A kobalt click used for lug bolts.
And a really cheap beam type that goes to 150 ft lbs used for axle bolts.

I've compared the first two and they're close enough where they overlap.

I've used an 80 ft lb torque limiting extension on lugs and the final torquing with Kobalt is consistent, at leas There's just a little more turn left before clicking

The axle bolt beam guy...well I just take it on faith as those high levels for axle bolts require me to use a pipe for added leverage.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I send my work torque wrenches out for calibration. They aren't expensive, just CDI models but I need to make sure they are correct. It is pretty cheap to calibrate them.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I used the highly advanced technique of hanging something of known weight at a distance of 1 foot or whatever distance it was. My big torque wrench was spot on (at least for how precise i could realistically expect my test to be). The other torque wrench was way off and changing the adjustment on it did basically nothing, so i threw it in the trash. Obviously not a real calibration, but a good sanity check nonetheless.

Pretty sure I took a picture of it....lol

1620107008441.png

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
A note - torque wrenches shouldn't be used in the lowest 20% of their torque range for accurate results - calibration is generally only performed from 20-100% of full scale (generally 20, 60, and 100%). You get a pretty big drop off in accuracy below that.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Mechanic here, I have 1/4in Tekton I use daily, no issues at all. Also have a few of their impact sockets. Absolutely no complaints on any of their tools. Would only recommend an expensive digital torque wrench if you're consistently doing head jobs and various precise work. Otherwise for the DIY, weekend project guy, using it for wheels or whatever else, Tekton or cheaper is fine.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Mechanic here, I have 1/4in Tekton I use daily, no issues at all. Also have a few of their impact sockets. Absolutely no complaints on any of their tools. Would only recommend an expensive digital torque wrench if you're consistently doing head jobs and various precise work. Otherwise for the DIY, weekend project guy, using it for wheels or whatever else, Tekton or cheaper is fine.
I've had a set of their 1/2" and 3/8" impact sockets for a few years and they're great. Only complaint is the painted socket sizes wear off the side fast, had to notch the sizes in them with a dremel

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've had a set of their 1/2" and 3/8" impact sockets for a few years and they're great. Only complaint is the painted socket sizes wear off the side fast, had to notch the sizes in them with a dremel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LSJ19UQ/

I got that set (paid about half of what it's currently listed at) because it comes with a cool neon green and fake carbon storage tray. No complaints at all.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

I had the retainer ball fall out of one of their extensions. Took a pic and sent it to them. I got a new extension in the mail in a week for free. I have a lot of their tools now. I was a craftsman guy back in the day. When it came time to rebuild my tool arsenal, I chose tekton. Very happy with all of it so far.