GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pure White Weekend Warrior

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Had a great day of Autocross on Sunday. First with the new clutch kit. The clutch performed great, grips hard, and the engine/trans mounts made a big difference vs. my day at Evo earlier this summer! Had a total of six runs. (3 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon). Ran in the novice class DSP and ended up finishing 8th out of 25 on PAX (had the 3rd fastest time of the day). Times listed below along with a short video.

67.736 (short video below)
69.564+1
71.560+2

Run 2 Clip
Run 3 Clip

Unfortunately my GoPro ran out of batteries because I wasn't able to charge it the night before. Will make sure it has a fresh charge next time around.

All around it was a great day. Feel like I made some improvements (even though I got a bit too aggressive on the last run and nearly went off course). Still dialing in the car, tire pressures, etc. and learning to look up course, but having a blast and meeting some great people (thank you to Josh Brockman who let me ride in his civic - and actually won the HS class).

Looking forward to more Solo days and Track Night at Thompson on the 4th. More to come.

Last edited:

The Tax Guy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Thanks! I've never tried to manually polish or paint correct but would love to learn how (have always been a bit too nervous to jump in). Any recommendations on how to get started?

At this point I'm a bit lmited by my living arrangement. Looking forward to having my own garage and building out a bigger collection of tools and car goodies :D Living in an apartment building definitely has its drawbacks...

Haha I feel ya. I got my DA for cheap at Harbor Freight. I also live in an apartment building and just worked on my car in the garage lol

I would just get a DA and a long extension cord and try to find an outlet to plug into and go to work :D

Wheels look great btw!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Thanks, Taxman! May have to dive in and give the DA a whirl next time I'm due for a polish. In the meantime... I'm spending way too much money on other car related items.

Neuspeed 27mm RSB + Endlinks on the way :D:D Just purchased off UroTuning. Planning to do the install myself once it arrives (seems pretty basic).

It's taking some serious restraint not to pull the trigger on a downpipe and cat back (will go AWE DP and Track exhaust at some point). For now, car has plenty of power (to be honest, probably more than I am capable of driving properly for autocross).

Haha I feel ya. I got my DA for cheap at Harbor Freight. I also live in an apartment building and just worked on my car in the garage lol

I would just get a DA and a long extension cord and try to find an outlet to plug into and go to work :D

Wheels look great btw!

Last edited:

The Tax Guy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Haha yeah I know what you mean. It takes a lot of restraint not to go crazy. I haven't gotten anything in a while and am really feeling like getting something!

I do need to get myself a set of winter wheels. So back on a wheel search haha

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
One more clean shot prior to track night at Thompson this Thursday. Will be running in Novice on the OEM pads and fluid. Interested to see how the brakes hold up.

Also, the RSB looks like it will arrive later in the week so will not have it installed in time to run at the track. I guess, its just an excuse to get back out there later in the month. For comparison reasons... for science... :p

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Well guys (and girls), Track Night at Thompson was amazing. Had a great time running in Novice and learned a lot about track etiquette, flags, point-bys, etc. Ran the OEM (non-PP) breaks, pads, and fluid without ducting and they performed fine for three 20-minute sessions (at Novice speeds). All tires set to 37 PSI cold, ESC full-off, and XDS on the default setting.

Couple pictures:

Met some great people in the Novice group. Had a blast hanging with @dc5r.parts and @j.dc5 who ran modded Integras. Great people and big auto enthusiasts, check out their Insta and Youtube pages if you're interested. Trying to talk them into another session later this month.

And some footage:

Novice Session One

Novice Session Two

Just signed up for the SCDA Event at Lime Rock on the 27th. No Novice class so will be running in Intermediate 1. Will install the 27mm RSB before then and maybe the RS3 ducting. Also planning to code XDS off to try and save my pads a bit. I didn't have time to mess around with OBDEleven before Thompson, but I'm sure that won't be too difficult to figure out.

Also, quick shout-out to Anthony DelGiudice who posted some FWD laps at Thompson a couple years back in his MKV. Super helpful. Felt like I knew this course and driveline before I even took the paced laps. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
This has been a great read so far. Glad you’re having so much fun with the car. Haven’t done as much as you upgrade or driving wise yet but I get a big grin driving to and from work lol. I’m stage 1 now but that probably won’t last long. Keep the updates coming.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
This has been a great read so far. Glad you’re having so much fun with the car. Haven’t done as much as you upgrade or driving wise yet but I get a big grin driving to and from work lol. I’m stage 1 now but that probably won’t last long. Keep the updates coming.
Glad you're enjoying the thread! Thanks for the read and comments. If your car doesn't make you smile, it's time for something else [emoji6]

It's all about having fun. Amazing how much a simple stage 1 tune and set of performance tires really up the enjoyment factor!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Messed around with OBDEleven a bit over the weekend and figured out how to code XDS off.

Also scheduled the install for the 27mm RSB + Endlinks. Bringing the car by Brian's on Thursday to have have him handle the install and give things a once over before Lime Rock. May swing by the Woburn meet afterwards to meet some people and show off the car.

Mostly want to check out RubiksQu's new HREs :D

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Few more pictures from TNiA last Thursday. Already itching to get back on the track. The 27th at Lime Rock can't come soon enough :D

Thank you Clarus Studios for the awesome shots!

Looks like so much fun man! I can't wait to get my car out on the track!! just need to dial in my suspension!

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
You car looks great! I'm considering a set of hyper black rse10s for my white gti (4 door) also. Let me know what you think of your new sway bar. I just installed a 25mm Eibach rear sway on mine last weekend and it handles great and the install was pretty simple (minus stripping one of the endlink triple squares :mad:). Haven't gotten any track time yet, but those high speed lane changes and on/off ramps are much flatter! :)