GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Topping off coolant

davidg

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Noob question. I just topped off my GTI with this Peak Anti-freeze + Coolant.
OET-Euro-Violet-50-50.png

I've only ever topped off once before in 30k miles. Everyone says to use G13 but this stuff says its rated for VWs 2006 and up. Am I gonna be ok or did I fuck up?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
although I can't find anything specific on if it's G12+ or G13 compatible...it seems like the same thing as Zerex G40...which is compatible. I think you'll be fine.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
You are in texas...you can add a couple cups of just distilled water with zero issues...

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Seems the current crop of Peak coolants follow the older G12 and newer G13 specs. The "pink" is older G12 carboxylate
OAT while the "purple" is the newer glycerol based G13. The main reason BASF changed between the 2 is for environmental safety and cost. Both are organic acid technology (OAT) long life coolants and "can" be mixed, but not recommended if possible (NOT at all like the old G11 and G12 incompatibility). G13s have better corrosion protection and heat dissipation capabilities over the G12s, but are essentially the same, except G13 has added back in a small amount of silicates (Si-OAT) for the more robust corrosion protection.

You can use distilled water for small amounts of top-up, but a lot can dilute the corrosion protection add pack. More manufacturers are offering these vehicle specific formulas over the more expensive OE stuff, especially in the no-mix, ready to use packaging. Even VW/Audi is offering a pre-mixed, RTU G13 for ease of use. Expensive though.

So, did you F something up? No.

Last edited:

Le Merde

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Noob question. I just topped off my GTI with this Peak Anti-freeze + Coolant.
View attachment 184249
I've only ever topped off once before in 30k miles. Everyone says to use G13 but this stuff says its rated for VWs 2006 and up. Am I gonna be ok or did I fuck up?
lol I just bought the same coolant from auto zone and was gonna ask if it was compatible too

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Check your manual.... Not sure why you would use a fluid without ensuring compatibility first. And as others have said, just top off with distilled water

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I ran distilled water and Water Wetter for years in Texas. Coolant? Don't need no stinking coolant.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Ran RL WaterWetter/distilled in all my bikes. Drained for winter, always ran 10-15• cooler.