GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To you canadians bitching about our "low" US car prices...

WAP

Go Kart Champion
You think the Nazis had a shot at winning?

If Hitler wasn't a total maniac he might have been able to negotiate some sort of peace after taking Poland and the Low Countries, but of course he was a nutjob and couldn't stop, so no, he had no chance of winning in the long run against the might of the rest of the world.

The south did in the Civil War.

Lincoln had no military experience

Ol' Abe was actually a captain in the Illinois militia in the 1830's.

The South didn't want to take over, they just wanted to be left alone... different story.

Sometimes I wish they had won their independence. North America would be a very different place today.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
If Hitler wasn't a total maniac he might have been able to negotiate some sort of peace after taking Poland and the Low Countries, but of course he was a nutjob and couldn't stop, so no, he had no chance of winning in the long run against the might of the rest of the world.

:word:

That was my implication - that beating a maniac who never had a chance in hell of winning was NOT some great victory, it was in fact an inevitable victory.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion

Ol' Abe was actually a captain in the Illinois militia in the 1830's.

Sometimes I wish they had won their independence. North America would be a very different place today.

I was wrong........Lincoln had 70 days military experience. Probably more than Dubya

"Abraham Lincoln served as a volunteer in the Illinois Militia from April 21, 1832 – July 10, 1832 during the Black Hawk War. Lincoln never saw combat during his tour but was elected captain of his first company. He was also present in the aftermath of two of the war's battles, where he helped to bury the militia dead. He was mustered in and out of service during the war, going from captain to private and finishing his service in an independent spy company commanded by Captain Jacob Early."

WAP

Go Kart Champion
:word:

That was my implication - that beating a maniac who never had a chance in hell of winning was NOT some great victory, it was in fact an inevitable victory.

I see your point but at that time I don't think the world thought or believed victory was a foregone conclusion. But you could perhaps argue that Churchill was a "better" leader because his country's victory was much less foregone, at least in the early days, than the US's.

I was wrong........Lincoln had 70 days military experience. Probably more than Dubya

"Abraham Lincoln served as a volunteer in the Illinois Militia from April 21, 1832 – July 10, 1832 during the Black Hawk War. Lincoln never saw combat during his tour but was elected captain of his first company. He was also present in the aftermath of two of the war's battles, where he helped to bury the militia dead. He was mustered in and out of service during the war, going from captain to private and finishing his service in an independent spy company commanded by Captain Jacob Early."

No doubt. :laugh:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
If the deficit has come down at all it's only because of the sequester, which has basically ended. Congress fails to do their job and they're still on recess 6 months of the year. The debt ceiling continues to climb but the media doesn't talk about it because Obama said we're not going to negotiate paying the bills Congress already authorized.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I see your point but at that time I don't think the world thought or believed victory was a foregone conclusion. But you could perhaps argue that Churchill was a "better" leader because his country's victory was much less foregone, at least in the early days, than the US's.

Could be, I wasn't there :lol:

Churchill definitely had better speeches and a much smaller country.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
O Canadaaaaaa

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Could be, I wasn't there :lol:

Churchill definitely had better speeches and a much smaller country.

LOL I wasn't either. I do have several immediate family members who were there, though, and believe me, it was a scary, insecure time.

Churchill was an amazing speaker, probably the better, but FDR's fireside chats and "the only thing we have to fear" speech were pretty damn good, too.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
And, FDR's leadership during and through the Great Depression puts him up at the top of the list of the greatest presidents, imo.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
With their beady eyes and flapping heads...

ravendarat

Ready to race!
Yes. Exactly like Iraq. 500,000 to 1,000,000 dead as doornail Iraqis versus 4,500 dead bad mother fuckers. Want to calculate that ratio?

The aftermath would be easier in Canada than it is in Iraq. Everyone in Canada wants to be American anyway.

I can't possibly tell you how wrong that is. I don't know a single canadian personally that has any desire to be American, and when people from the states say things like that, or call us the 51st state or other such non sense it really does piss most of us off. I don't mind your country, it can be a nice place to visit and you guys can love living there, its your home and being proud of it is a good thing but Ill be more than happy to continue living in my country and continue proudly being Canadian until the day I die.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Youre all up in our bubble. You got all that space Canada, stop close talking the US