GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To those that went from IS38 to bigger

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I never recommend the XL unless there’s plans in place for MPI/LPFP/PM4.

The standard Vortex is the HPFP weapon of choice, but I’d love to compare your XL/HPFP logs to one to see just how much differently they spool. I’m guessing it’s not all that drastic

Happy to share, DM me your email address.

I'd be interested in seeing the comparison if it gets done.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I never hear many recommend the Vortex XL on pump. I have a lot of head room with this turbo if I want to push it further. Autotech HPFP on 93 tuned by ED and she pulls well. I have disappointed many drivers of "faster cars".
I never recommend the XL unless there’s plans in place for MPI/LPFP/PM4.

The standard Vortex is the HPFP weapon of choice, but I’d love to compare your XL/HPFP logs to one to see just how much differently they spool. I’m guessing it’s not all that drastic
My understanding is that it's not that XL on pump sucks, it's just you're leaving so much on the table. Having the head room for later is nice for some, but the recommendation is typically stick with standard housing vortex if you are only going to run 93 with HPFP.

agreed, spool between the two is probably not too much different.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’d run the XL just for the cooler EGT’s regardless of fueling.
Yup...

It’s not like you are getting the full Potential of either version when on pump gas anyways, so the theory of leaving in on the table holds true for both standard and xl, but on the same fueling youll still make more power on the xl, I just don’t know if with the xl you’ll need a lpfp also for the upper rpm range.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yup...

It’s not like you are getting the full Potential of either version when on pump gas anyways, so the theory of leaving in on the table holds true for both standard and xl, but on the same fueling youll still make more power on the xl, I just don’t know if with the xl you’ll need a lpfp also for the upper rpm range.
Nah, Ed only recommended a HPFP when he tuned me on the XL. Never made mention of needing a LPFP during tuning.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
If you can't get ethanol, get a vortex with a cobb tune. Stock IS38s are known to blow up on stage 2 levels of boost. The vortex spool is amazing and they've addressed the reliability shortcomings of the is38.

Cobb is fine, and you can recoup most if not all of the AP cost when you resell it. I would try to get a 450 + PM4 or RS3 LPFP and MPI if you can swing it, but HPFP internals and a 450 on stock controller is doable for pump gas. I had a poor experience with an upgraded HPFP and wish I'd done MPI in the first place, but I'm running e85 so ymmv.

edit: saw your current tune. Definitely at least get a stratified or EQT ots map if you want a bump, but if you're going to spend the time/effort on a turbo swap, do it right imo.
What is safe boost level for the IS38? I just installed one on the TT. Right now at 25, no bolt on.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
What is safe boost level for the IS38? I just installed one on the TT. Right now at 25, no bolt on.

You installed an IS38 without bolt ons? So no DP or IC? Just running a stage one IS38 map? Might be a bit much for an IS20 stock IC as that is smaller than the Golf R, S3 IC.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
You installed an IS38 without bolt ons? So no DP or IC? Just running a stage one IS38 map? Might be a bit much for an IS20 stock IC as that is smaller than the Golf R, S3 IC.
IC coming, no DP.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
My local shop said to keep it under 29 as far as shredding them, plus you want to keep resolutions on your pressure sensor above your limit to monitor for overboost correctly. 25 sounds pretty safe to me.
Probably want to limit that level to low-mid airflow and account for the couple psi that is dropped along the way to the engine.