GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To MPI or to not MPI

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Hello all,

It’s about time for a carbon clean at 85k. I’ve experienced some bumpy cold starts and ever decreasing fuel economy. So I figure while the manifold is off getting the valves cleaned, why not throw on a Euro manifold and install MPI.

Here’s the catch. I don’t plan on running ethanol yet, but I like the idea of having the additional fueling headroom and a backup set of injectors so if one of the DI’s get stuck at WOT it doesn’t toast the whole motor immediately. Can I expect any power gain with MPI on just 93 pump gas? If so how much? I plan to eventually run full E85 but I’m going to need a PM4 as well and that’s not in the cards right now. Normally I would wait and do it all at once, but I want to get this carbon cleaning done and kill two birds with one stone. Is it worth it? What do you guys think?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's worth it just to eliminate future carbon cleaning but I don't think it would add any power without also adding ethanol.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Better question is are you still only at 28psi? And how much head room do you have in your current fueling to go up to 32/33 psi?
Actually the tune is only running 27psi right now. We had to turn it down for the Massachusetts winter gas. I haven’t bothered to turn it back up since I’ve been home in Virginia with much better fuel. We have had the car up to 31psi before on (Virginia) 93 but had to back off once I went back to Mass for the winter. Supposedly we were at the knock threshold for 93. So I guess additional fuel wouldn’t help…?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
In that case, depending on how far down the line you plan to go ethanol…. I would suggest water/meth, then you can stick with 93 - have the ability to have nick turn up the timing a significant amount and it will cost less than a euro manifold and aftermarket fuel rail and injectors. Also you’ll get the cleaning benefits.

I just looked at the log from when you ran some mid 9 sec 60-130 and at that psi that turbos actual gate was below 60s - that V1s got lots more potential in it.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm doing the same thing. I'm at almost 100k miles and thought it would be a good time to go MPI since I'll have the manifold off and clean valves to start with...

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just to make sure I understand it correctly: MPI is basically the same as what Toyota uses in their DI engines, correct?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
In that case, depending on how far down the line you plan to go ethanol…. I would suggest water/meth, then you can stick with 93 - have the ability to have nick turn up the timing a significant amount and it will cost less than a euro manifold and aftermarket fuel rail and injectors. Also you’ll get the cleaning benefits.

I just looked at the log from when you ran some mid 9 sec 60-130 and at that psi that turbos actual gate was below 60s - that V1s got lots more potential in it.

I’d like to run E40 with no PM4 or E85 with the PM4. I just need to try blending ethanol myself to see if it’s gonna be as bad as I think. It’s really the hassle of blending that is keeping me away from this whole thing lol
Yeah it does. I’ve been pretty pleased with the turbo so far.

I would rather stay away from water meth for now. I don’t like the idea of the well being of my motor relying on a glorified windshield washer pump.

Yeah it does. I’ve been pretty pleased with the turbo so far.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just to make sure I understand it correctly: MPI is basically the same as what Toyota uses in their DI engines, correct?
maybe... without googling it - if they add extra injectors before the intake valves then the basic mechanics of it are the same. for also does it for their DI motors too.