GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To Borla or Not to Borla

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I got a replacement Borla with a build date of 8/11. According to Chris, they updated the Y pipe going into the mufflers.

I can confirm there is a visible difference in the Y pipe as well as a slight difference in the shape of the tips.

Original Y-Pipe. Measured 1.5MM at the base on the Y
EC6572BF-1564-4E61-8215-56EB60E567C8.jpeg

New, measured 0.2MM, couldnt get the feeler all the way to the base of the Y
3DA10920-BB9C-4DF7-A59C-2225A015420A.jpeg

New tips, more pronounced angle vs the old system.
78630AF8-FC4A-4FEB-ADEE-8181A7125000.jpeg

Old tips. These have a smoother taped to the weld.
F705CDB4-4769-4ED0-88B3-CC78503BB4FF.jpeg

Installed last night and took a long drive today. No whistle!!!

Seems like some very subtle changes made a difference in whatever airflow issue was causing the whistle.

dir.mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I got a replacement Borla with a build date of 8/11. According to Chris, they updated the Y pipe going into the mufflers.

I can confirm there is a visible difference in the Y pipe as well as a slight difference in the shape of the tips.

Seems like some very subtle changes made a difference in whatever airflow issue was causing the whistle.
Awesome! Glad to hear there's finally a legitimate solution. Got any sound clips of the new whistle-less setup? I'm curious how it compares to mine (Mk7) which has a very mild whistle...

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I'm also very curious myself. The replacement system Borla sent me was worse than my first one. My first one also has a mild whistle, which is the one I currently have on the car. I might give them another go around.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I'm also very curious myself. The replacement system Borla sent me was worse than my first one. My first one also has a mild whistle, which is the one I currently have on the car. I might give them another go around.
Do you still have the boxes? What was your build dates?

My first was January 21 IIRC, the replacement was 8/11.

I called borla in April—the exhaust was supposed to be an anniversary gift lol—and they were out of stock, with the next batch scheduled “end of July”

Summit racing had one in stock, so I went with that, which was obviously an earlier build. The timeframe at least seems legit for some type of revision, and as noted, there are definitely some visual changes.

I’m happy so far. Also happy I didn’t need to go through refunds and return shipping and spending another couple hours laying on my back on concrete in almost 90* weather underneath the car swapping exhausts. I’m getting too old for that shi*

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

I called borla in April—the exhaust was supposed to be an anniversary gift lol—and they were out of stock, with the next batch scheduled “end of July”

Summit racing had one in stock, so I went with that, which was obviously an earlier build. The timeframe at least seems legit for some type of revision, and as noted, there are definitely some visual changes.

I’m happy so far. Also happy I didn’t need to go through refunds and return shipping and spending another couple hours laying on my back on concrete in almost 90* weather underneath the car swapping exhausts. I’m getting too old for that shi*

The mercury hit about 107 in my neck of the woods today, so I hear you.

The only box I have is the one sent to me to box up and return my current system. I'm still going back and forth in my mind on my next move.

The replacement was sent to me sometime in July if I remember correctly. Fitment also wasn't as good as the original. I might call Chris tomorrow to go over options.

dir.mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

Build date on my box was 9/15/20, so not a newer revision. It sounds so good, and the whistle isn't really that noticeable, so I'll probably hold off unless it gets worse. I need to film a few clips outside the car so I can hear what it actually sounds like.

The mercury hit about 107 in my neck of the woods today, so I hear you.

The only box I have is the one sent to me to box up and return my current system. I'm still going back and forth in my mind on my next move.

The replacement was sent to me sometime in July if I remember correctly. Fitment also wasn't as good as the original. I might call Chris tomorrow to go over options.

What was wrong with the fitment? Curious because my passenger side exhaust tips stick slightly further out than on the driver side.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I really wish someone local had a R I could use for development.

There’s not many Rs in the Charlotte, NC area and several of them have already flaked out so it’ll probably never happen, but for a group of enthusiasts with really no good exhaust options I’m honestly blown away that nobody’s stepped up to the plate.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie

Good to hear, Charlotte:R. Welcome to the whistle-less Borla users group. Good to hear they figured out the issue.. enjoy your lively car!

GTI Jake - If I was close by I would definitely stop by your shop. I'm thousands of miles away. Hope the storms haven't been too bad out there. I bet you're super happy you got the drainage fixed at your new place. Which reminds me, I too recently upped the sump-pump capacity and added a release valve above ground for those times when it rains like monsoon where the outlet pipe (perforated) gets overwhelmed.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good to hear, Charlotte:R. Welcome to the whistle-less Borla users group. Good to hear they figured out the issue.. enjoy your lively car!

GTI Jake - If I was close by I would definitely stop by your shop. I'm thousands of miles away. Hope the storms haven't been too bad out there. I bet you're super happy you got the drainage fixed at your new place. Which reminds me, I too recently upped the sump-pump capacity and added a release valve above ground for those times when it rains like monsoon where the outlet pipe (perforated) gets overwhelmed.

Thanks, I’ve actually had people shop logistics for shipping Rs here from all over the lower 48. Really outside of those issues my ideal situation would be to build a prototype, return the car to said local and have them drive it for a week or two, then drop it back off for me to build the weld fixtures. That’s how all of my parts have been developed to date, that way the prototype is real world tested before being the basis for all future parts.

The peace of mind gained from the drainage mods is outstanding! I’m sure you feel the same way with the new sump pump, but even with all the rain we’ve had lately and the weather I’m sure we’re about to get I’ve confident it’s all up to par now which is a big relief. If you haven’t yet I’d look into a battery back up for your pump, we did that at my grandma’s old house and dodged several bullets since power outages and heavy rains/storms tend to go hand in hand.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I really wish someone local had a R I could use for development.

There’s not many Rs in the Charlotte, NC area and several of them have already flaked out so it’ll probably never happen, but for a group of enthusiasts with really no good exhaust options I’m honestly blown away that nobody’s stepped up to the plate.

I'm local, but not really planning (key word lol) any more mods, so I probably wouldn't be much help. If the replacement Borla didn't work out, I was going to reach out to you since the other options are kind of meh.

If it would help, I've got a spare Borla taking up space in my garage 🤣

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
GTI Jake - sounds awesome.

Good to hear about the drainage because the climate is changing and my guess is that it’s going to get worse over the next decade.

Thanks, I do have a battery back up sump pump and also our whole house is backed up by a Kohler generator. I also own a Honda portable generator as well, just in case.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Jake, you could search in your area for totaled R's in salvage yards. I don't think you will be lucky to get the downpipe as those cats command a hefty price, but the cat-back could be sourced to make a jig from.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Jake, you could search in your area for totaled R's in salvage yards. I don't think you will be lucky to get the downpipe as those cats command a hefty price, but the cat-back could be sourced to make a jig from.

If that would help, he can have my whistling Borla, otherwise I'll probably just take it to the scrap yard and get a few bucks.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Build date on my box was 9/15/20, so not a newer revision. It sounds so good, and the whistle isn't really that noticeable, so I'll probably hold off unless it gets worse. I need to film a few clips outside the car so I can hear what it actually sounds like.

What was wrong with the fitment? Curious because my passenger side exhaust tips stick slightly further out than on the driver side.

Same issue on my second system. Tips weren't as flush, stuck out more on one side. The tips were also lower on one side, but I can't remember which.