GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To Borla or Not to Borla

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
So what you're saying is "not to Borla"
I think what he is saying is that in Germany, and the only way to get what he wants is to either buy the multi-thousand $$ system that have the TÜV exemptions or cheat the system by modifying his OEM exhaust to fit his needs. Not every nation have the same relaxed (although not all states do here) rules that we have. Think of California rules². They also get an alignment and entire visual check upon inspection.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I just stepped outside and recorded this (yes I'm still in my Pajamas WFH lifestyle)
Installed it few months ago and could not be happier. No whistle (except from the intake) but as others have mentioned I suppose it's possible I just got a good one? 🤷‍♂️

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I just stepped outside and recorded this (yes I'm still in my Pajamas WFH lifestyle)
Installed it few months ago and could not be happier. No whistle (except from the intake) but as others have mentioned I suppose it's possible I just got a good one? 🤷‍♂️

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a 2017 though. The whistle only seems to be on the 2018+ (MK7.5)

I wonder what about the redesign is "off"

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
That's a 2017 though. The whistle only seems to be on the 2018+ (MK7.5)

I wonder what about the redesign is "off"

Yeah, not to mention you will never hear it when just revving the engine.

@CarlsFirstVW

Get the car up to speed and do some WOT pulls. Listen from about 4.5k to redline and see if you hear the sound.

It's sometimes a lower pitch howl and other times an actual high pitched whistle.

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Yeah, no to mention you will never hear it when just revving the engine.

Get the car up to speed and do some WOT pulls. Listen from about 4.5k to redline and see if you hear the sound.

It's sometimes a lower pitch howl and other times an actual high pitches whistle.

I only ever have the lower pitch howl. Just redline 1st gear and it's very distinct once you get to 4.5-5K.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
For what its worth, here is my take on exhaust systems particularly on the MQB platform
ever since getting my MK7 R, the first mod I wanted to do was a Cat-back system.

I have looked at dozens of press release videos from different brands while getting impressed by the likes of Bull-X , Levella, Remus to name a few I never justified paying the ridiculous price tag ($2000+) for these systems especially knowing what is the cost of manufacturing these in huge quantities

The prices are somewhat justifiable for a few of the brands like Remus,SuperSprint, Akra because the amount of R&D, History and time it takes them to put out an almost perfect exhaust.

while other brands like Fi, Armytrix have the worst sounding exhaust in the market on this Platform and having been called out several times on the forums that these systems are not developed properly and in some instances will rob your power. ($ 3800 for a turbo-back :eek:)

with that being said I decided to go a different route after seeing the Underground Exhaust system's approach in Germany, in a nutshell, they modified the OE exhaust to achieve different sound levels, so here is what I have done with mine, I call it the FSE (Fruit Salad Exhaust) :cool:

Gutted Rear section
Gutted Resonator
AWE Valve controller
CTS Downpipe (Catted)
CF Exhaust Tips

Before
572ce55b6165ba1f9abd4299a0ee678f.jpg

During
942ef96f9d487a4ffb4957599eec00e9.jpg

After
81db80997cb51f1460cf035eaf3b6b9d.jpg

Before
19dfbb55c2e4e7f75dcf7022f0bb9fa3.jpg

After
1d78011d7180595d34fa029089e0526b.jpg

All closed up
e4a4f112d053b8529335b4c6f16e6920.jpg

Video
https://streamable.com/rhhkv
(DP not installed in this video)

I'll take better quality once the weather gets better with different drive modes.

That sounds really good. Almost reminds me of the VR6...almost.

Most of the exhausts I've head for these engines sound raspy and has the sputtering/spitting sound. Your exhaust does not have those traits. I heard the Borla on a GTI...and its pretty loud. I would think with the addition of a downpipe...it would be pretty obnoxious. If I can get something similar to your R...I'd get one for my GTI.

bellamor

Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen Golf
Did he end up installing a Borla exhaust system? I read a lot of good stuff about this product but I don't have any experience with it.

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
I think what he is saying is that in Germany, and the only way to get what he wants is to either buy the multi-thousand $$ system that have the TÜV exemptions or cheat the system by modifying his OEM exhaust to fit his needs. Not every nation have the same relaxed (although not all states do here) rules that we have. Think of California rules². They also get an alignment and entire visual check upon inspection.
I'm not in Germany, although we have rules when it comes to engine noises, but people do them anyways and hope for the best when it comes to yearly inspection either put the stock one back or just go there hoping the inspector is in a good mood 😂

When I was stating the prices, I was referring to the systems sold in the US 👍

The cheapest valve system i found was the magnaflow @ 1.4 K excluding shipping (I live overseas)

My current setup total $320 excluding the downpipe.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I'm not in Germany, although we have rules when it comes to engine noises, but people do them anyways and hope for the best when it comes to yearly inspection either put the stock one back or just go there hoping the inspector is in a good mood 😂

When I was stating the prices, I was referring to the systems sold in the US 👍

The cheapest valve system i found was the magnaflow @ 1.4 K excluding shipping (I live overseas)

My current setup total $320 excluding the downpipe.

Dude. I'm gonna be honest. What you've managed to do with your exhaust is pure magic. The burbles you get from the system you fabricated are so good, more than most will get from a US based system with an aftermarket DP. I'm thoroughly impressed. For what you paid, It's nearly impossible to get the same sound from systems around 2k. Just goes to show what you can accomplish with a little know how.

I'm still rocking the Borla, but not by choice. I'm more than likely swapping the system out for the Milltek valved non-resonated system sooner than later. It's the most balanced system and sounds the best with a DP in my opinion.

Shitty part is I'll be spending a lot more than $320 on it :)

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
Car(s)
MK VII 7R
The burbles you get from the system you fabricated are so good, more than most will get from a US based system with an aftermarket DP.

I have the CTS DP installed, sound didn't change that much, I would say more bass/ruble around 20%. I was concern that it will be a lot more louder but it turned out great.

I'm still on stock ECU, so the Burbles you hear is basically stock amplified, not sure how it would sound like when I go revo stage 2 with overrun.