GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To Borla or Not to Borla

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Where are you? I'll throw it away for you.

Waxhaw. If you want it, let me know. Otherwise I'll have to put it in my car and find a scrap yard to net $20.

My trash will only take what is in the trash can, nothing else. You use to be able to schedule a bulky item pickup, but they cancelled that option because of covid.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Just get an AWE exhaust. Love mine. Great quality, no excuses, and it just works. Low rpm the sound is enough to know your car is different, and over 4k is just pure epic sounds. If you ever hear one in person, it has a very distinct sound.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Just get an AWE exhaust. Love mine. Great quality, no excuses, and it just works. Low rpm the sound is enough to know your car is different, and over 4k is just pure epic sounds. If you ever hear one in person, it has a very distinct sound.

Do you get any drone? That was the main reason I didn't go with AWE, I've heard that drone on the highway is pretty bad.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I have zero drone, but I am also a catted dp.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have zero drone with a Trackslag 4" catless DP and using a Vibrant resonator.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Question for those who got a replacement Borla system to fix the whistle issue: are both the whistle and the howling sound totally gone? As in, on full throttle, you just get pure exhaust tone throughout the rev range? @aloha_from_bradley @Charlotte.:R

Correct. The whistle is totally gone.

And after trying another competitors exhaust system recently, I can tell you that Borla knows what they are doing. There is absolutely ZERO drone, even with the non resonated system. I mean none. Don't hesitate to buy this system. There have also been some slight fitment issues, but Borla has been willing to work with me 100% till the issue is resolved.

Sound wise, you can't beat this system unless you go with a complete turbo back system, of which you will most likely be introducing a fair amount of drone.

Last edited:

Wize007

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8
Looking at that Type R ‘gutted’ OEM design, that is a very impressive low restriction design as the Sum of the outlets can easily exhaust the system without restriction. If you look at the volume of the chambers and the cooling ( heat dissipation through the surface area of the chamber bodies) which results in a huge reduction of exhaust pressure…I think that will easily keep up with the maximum flow of the inlet pipe size. Very impressive. A lot of people I’m sure don’t realize if you take the flow of the perforated holes it is much higher than the pipe flowing into it, additionally that upstream resonator is very low restriction and all the heat it pulls out of the raw exhaust reduces the velocity without reducing the power. I didn’t realize how much work VW put into it, I guess that’s why most aftermarket companies talk about sound but don’t really show real gains in power.

the oem system is a very clever design I doubt you would see very little pressure built up within that case

Last edited:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I had the Borla S Type in my 2015 GTI with a downpipe, and I got the whistle during WOT but I didnt think much of it. Just another data point for the thread.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I have the Borla catback on my 2020. I've never heard it but now I'm gonna have to listen for it. Even with a catted dp and vibrant midpipe, I'm not sure if I'd be able to hear it since it's so loud.

Wize007

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8
I have the Borla catback on my 2020. I've never heard it but now I'm gonna have to listen for it. Even with a catted dp and vibrant midpipe, I'm not sure if I'd be able to hear it since it's so loud.
Which system the 2 1/2 or 3? I don’t think the 3” system is notorious for the noise