GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To Borla or Not to Borla

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
New to the forum but have been lurking for a while.

What are you looking to develop? I have a 7.5R in south Charlotte.

A proper TBE, since with the OEM design there isn’t sufficient room for a large enough resonator due to the driveshaft and location of the DP to CBE connection.

I currently only build Gti & GLI exhaust parts since that’s what I own. I do offer a FMIC for the Gti & R.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I got a replacement Borla with a build date of 8/11. According to Chris, they updated the Y pipe going into the mufflers.

I can confirm there is a visible difference in the Y pipe as well as a slight difference in the shape of the tips.

Original Y-Pipe. Measured 1.5MM at the base on the Y
View attachment 223365

New, measured 0.2MM, couldnt get the feeler all the way to the base of the Y
View attachment 223366

New tips, more pronounced angle vs the old system.
View attachment 223367

Old tips. These have a smoother taped to the weld.
View attachment 223368

Installed last night and took a long drive today. No whistle!!!

Seems like some very subtle changes made a difference in whatever airflow issue was causing the whistle.

Did Chris send you the entire system including the midpipe? Or just the muffler?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Complete new system.

I didn't notice any visual difference in the midpipe. He said it was the Y going into the mufflers that was redesigned.

Just chatted with Chris. They are going to send me a complete new system as well. Glad to see they are taking ownership and making this right. I'd love to tell everyone in the different groups / forums that the issue is fixed, especially on my YouTube channel.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Just chatted with Chris. They are going to send me a complete new system as well. Glad to see they are taking ownership and making this right. I'd love to tell everyone in the different groups / forums that the issue is fixed, especially on my YouTube channel.

Yeah, I give Borla credit, they've been upfront that there was an issue and worked to make it right.

I've got more seat time, and have been making a point to do wot pulls--still no whistle. Super happy :cool:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
@aloha_from_bradley did you ever get a revised replacement?

1631804892762.png

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Soooo...

Whistle is gone.

Caveat - Fitment isn't as good this time around. For the second time in a row, Borla has shipped me a system with an exhaust tip that's flat on one side. Extremely disappointing. Also, midpipe is fractions of an inch from the rear sway bar. So close, in fact, that I can literally move the exhaust system with my pinky finger and it clunks into the sway bar. I tried manipulating fitment every way humanly possible. The driver's side tips also protrude further than the passenger side. Pro by half inch or so.

I'm more than likely going to take the car to a professional muffler shop to make the changes necessary & change out the tips. Might do ovals like the RS3 or Milltek exhaust setups.

Don't shoot me @bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Soooo...

Whistle is gone.

Caveat - Fitment isn't as good this time around. For the second time in a row, Borla has shipped me a system with an exhaust tip that's flat on one side. Extremely disappointing. Also, midpipe is fractions of an inch from the rear sway bar. So close, in fact, that I can literally move the exhaust system with my pinky finger and it clunks into the sway bar. I tried manipulating fitment every way humanly possible. The driver's side tips also protrude further than the passenger side. Pro by half inch or so.

I'm more than likely going to take the car to a professional muffler shop to make the changes necessary & change out the tips. Might do ovals like the RS3 or Milltek exhaust setups.

Don't shoot me @bentin

Well, at least the whistle is gone :)

Maybe I got lucky, or I'm not as observant as I didn't encounter any fitment issues. Is it possible your hangers are getting stretched out?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Well, at least the whistle is gone :)

Maybe I got lucky, or I'm not as observant as I didn't encounter any fitment issues. Is it possible your hangers are getting stretched out?

Quite the opposite. The rubber hanger bushings are too tight, pulling the midpipe upward against the rear sway bar. I don't hear any noises coming from rear when driving the car, so I'm sure it's fine. The tips sticking out a bit more on one side drives my OCD crazy though.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
So WTF do I do with a defective cat back? Is it worth the time to go to a scrap yard vs stuffing it into my trash can?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
So WTF do I do with a defective cat back? Is it worth the time to go to a scrap yard vs stuffing it into my trash can?

Lol. Seriously. I feel the same way about the stock exhaust sitting on the side of my house. You'd prob have to wait until a bulk trash day pick up for your area.

PITA if you ask me.