GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To body work or no?

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
So a while back, someone grazed me while it was street-parked in front of the apartment. Assuming they were drunk or something getting out of the parallel parked spot.

Anyways, I’ve been debating on whether or not it’s worth it to fix. It’s obviously a huge eye sore to me and something that bums me out every time I look at it. There’s also that white scratch that’s through the paint and could rust.

I found a reputable shop that does really great work who can fix it for a little under a grand, but would involve a respray and blend across the back third of the side, etc.

I know that’s all straight forward and trust their work, but my only concerns are that this would come up on a carfax report or that the paint would fade differently over time. I guess keeping the dent there would have the same diminished value as the carfax report though.

There’s also the bummer that it’s frustrating to blow a grand on something that’s not even a mod but just getting back to stock, ha.

Anyways, any thoughts? Anything I’m not considering? Thx!

404307A1-525D-43FF-8446-07F9AB7B29AA.jpegAB7EF604-B09F-4734-8445-008360FF65FF.jpegD797FE49-3E62-45FA-BB56-A5A9B0834742.jpeg

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
It won't show up on Carfax if you get it done by a local shop. Minor items like this are not reportable.

I've had minor issues worked out on a couple of my cars and none of them were noticeable after years passed so, if you trust the shop, have it done and don't worry about it.

$1k sounds a bit high to me but, if the shop does do excellent work, you will hopefully get what you pay for.

cb1111

The CARFAX isn't quite as clear-cut as kevin makes it out to be. CARFAX gets their information by paying shops and you'll want to ask if the shop reports repairs to CARFAX. If they don't, then you should be OK.

The only repairs that are generally not considered by CARFAX are bumper resprays - if they find out about the damage.

The other issue may be on trade-in. Some (most?) dealers use a paint thickness meter to check if a panel has been resprayed.

It needs to be fixed through, so there really is no alternative. Keep pictures and the bill (sounds a bit high) to show what the damage is/was

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
Got it. Thanks all.

Yeah sounds like I should definitely get it fixed then. Might shop around for some other quotes as well.

Hadn’t considered showing the photos and bill for reference too.

I also plan on keeping the car a while so not too worried about resale I guess. Just didn’t want to take an unnecessary hit on the value.