GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tires for no-prep drag/street racing

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'm looking for a set of tires for summer time racing, other than slicks because I'll be getting those for the 1/4 mile dragstrip, that I can drive to and from the location of the races. Most of my search has been on Tire Rack so would like to hear some feedback from members that have used the tires or have some more knowledge about the tires. I have a list but if anybody knows of another tire that I missed and is a good contender, let me know. The list is in alphabetical order from lowest treadwear (tw) to highest.

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R (100 tw)
2. Toyo Proxes R888R (100 tw)
3. Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R (200 tw)
4. Falken Azenis RT615K+ (200 tw)
5. Falken Azenis RT660 (200 tw)
7. Nitto NT05 (200 tw)
8. Yokohama Advan A052 (200 tw)

Last edited:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
RE-71R
Noisy
Won’t get more than 10k out of them
Ok wet traction but not standing water
Excellent dry traction in the summer. They hook damn good.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
RE-71R
Noisy
Won’t get more than 10k out of them
Ok wet traction but not standing water
Excellent dry traction in the summer. They hook damn good.
71r’s take a good bit to heat up. But once they do. They stick very well

Would you guys say better than the R888R's and do you think a couple of burnouts could heat them up?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Would you guys say better than the R888R's and do you think a couple of burnouts could heat them up?
The toyos are good too. But I hated how they didn’t last as long. And they slung a lot of rubber chunks too. In a way they all did that but the toyos were way worse.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Re71s are also a 200tw so not quite a fair comparison. Id get the nankang ar1 since they're probably the best 100tw for the price. Ive seen consistently better times than the r888

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
My only issue with the drag radial compound on the street is when they do lose traction, they don’t recover as well as the 200tw This is where I found the Potenzas to excel. Makes much difference with FWD. The Yokos are also an Autocross focused tire so I would expect them to be very close to the Potenzas in performance on the street. I have no experience with them but lots of fellas speak well of them in the autocross threads, apparently they don’t hold up well in HPDE environments. R888R is the stickiest of the bunch but you have to burn them real good, they ride like shit, say no to wet roads and like Keehs said they fling guts often and can damage your paint if not removed timely.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My only issue with the drag radial compound on the street is when they do lose traction, they don’t recover as well as the 200tw This is where I found the Potenzas to excel. Makes much difference with FWD. The Yokos are also an Autocross focused tire so I would expect them to be very close to the Potenzas in performance on the street. I have no experience with them but lots of fellas speak well of them in the autocross threads, apparently they don’t hold up well in HPDE environments. R888R is the stickiest of the bunch but you have to burn them real good, they ride like shit, say no to wet roads and like Keehs said they fling guts often and can damage your paint if not removed timely.
It’s the heat range. They all drive like ass on the street till they get hot enough. And on the street that will rarely happen.

and if running these on the street. I’d recommend mud flaps. Cuz they’re gonna kick up tons of pebbles. The flaps will minimize some paint damage

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Rolling burnouts and hard braking before the hit.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Rolling burnouts and hard braking before the hit.
at every red light lol

You mean to tell me that's not normal?

There's an abandoned roadway that everybody goes to in my neck of the woods. It's no longer than half a mile in an open area which makes it perfect for guys to line up except the pavement is kind of old.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You mean to tell me that's not normal?

There's an abandoned roadway that everybody goes to in my neck of the woods. It's no longer than half a mile in an open area which makes it perfect for guys to line up except the pavement is kind of old.
Top gear did a thing where they used launch control for everything 😂

give this a watch it’s crazy funny.