GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tirerack says Motegi MR131's won't fit

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
I got a reply from Motegi about this and they also said the MR131 wheels will fit with the PP size (340mm rotor) brakes - although they recommend low profile weights (which I think are the norm anyhow).
(Typing out all the details in case someone searches this later).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I got a reply from Motegi about this and they also said the MR131 wheels will fit with the PP size (340mm rotor) brakes - although they recommend low profile weights (which I think are the norm anyhow).
(Typing out all the details in case someone searches this later).

But only for the 17x8 correct?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I wish they would have had that size when I got mine.
You mean in stock at the supplier/Discount Tire? I’ve had mine since May ‘18 and shopped them for a few weeks before buying so they definitely existed for a while.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You mean in stock at the supplier/Discount Tire? I’ve had mine since May ‘18 and shopped them for a few weeks before buying so they definitely existed for a while.

I got them through Discount Tires and for all I know the 17x8 was just out of stock. Discount Tires only told me that Motegi didn't have that size. It was a package deal that included new tires.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
I found another person who runs these wheels and says they fit, in a thread on another forum here.

He also said the only issue was needing to statically balance the wheels in order to put the wheel weights in a good spot.

I sent an email to CARiD to see if they would be willing to balance them statically and they said that's how they balance all their wheel/tire packages.

I'm waiting to hear back about the included hardware kit (I might buy aluminum hubcentric rings if they are plastic), and then I'll pull the trigger on this order.

I also sent them this bad diagram, asking them to put the weights approximately as shown. (This was a guess based on the info from that other thread I linked.)

approximate weight placement.PNG

I figure if they get it wrong, I can just put my own weights on, since I will know where they need to be based on the locations of the existing weights. But, doesn't hurt to ask.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
I am able to confirm, the wheels fit.

I had to wait to put them on the car, due to another issue which required me to bring it in to the dealership. (I found shipping pucks in the suspension.)

The car is now lowered on Neuspeed sport springs, and I'm running the aforementioned Motegi MR131 17x8 ET40 w/ 235/45R17 setup with no issues. No spacers needed (the front wheels actually poke a tiny bit, so there's no room anyhow).

CARiD ended up putting the balancing weights in a different spot than I indicated, but they clear the brakes so it's all good.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
20201108_121138.jpg

This is how it turned out. Now, if I could only get this white scuzz to come off the tires. :confused:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am able to confirm, the wheels fit.

I had to wait to put them on the car, due to another issue which required me to bring it in to the dealership. (I found shipping pucks in the suspension.)

The car is now lowered on Neuspeed sport springs, and I'm running the aforementioned Motegi MR131 17x8 ET40 w/ 235/45R17 setup with no issues. No spacers needed (the front wheels actually poke a tiny bit, so there's no room anyhow).

CARiD ended up putting the balancing weights in a different spot than I indicated, but they clear the brakes so it's all good.

Wait until you need new brake pads. That exact wheel fit my 18 SE just like yours until I needed new brake pads. Then I had to get spacers.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
If he's got the 17x8, ET 40, there should be quite a bit more room, as the outside edge of the wheel is 18mm further out than the 17x7 ET 45. if the spoke/lip design is the same on the two wheels, that should be a lot of extra clearance.

Cognomen

Car(s)
'18 GTI SE DSG
Wait until you need new brake pads. That exact wheel fit my 18 SE just like yours until I needed new brake pads. Then I had to get spacers.

As discussed earlier in the thread, we do not have the same exact wheels. You have the 17x7 wheel rather than 17x8, which have a different geometry.

The calipers are alarmingly close to the wheel in my setup, but I have a host of folks who run the 17x8 wheel saying they had no issues.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
As discussed earlier in the thread, we do not have the same exact wheels. You have the 17x7 wheel rather than 17x8, which have a different geometry.

The calipers are alarmingly close to the wheel in my setup, but I have a host of folks who run the 17x8 wheel saying they had no issues.

You are correct.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
You’re losing it, Jim. Step away from the covid thread 😂