GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tirerack says Motegi MR131's won't fit

GTI_Mitchell

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S w/ PP
Well damn, wish I'd found this thread earlier... just tried to slap some MR131 17x7 on my PP car today and found they don't clear the calipers. Now I have to decide whether to try to track down some 17x8 or put spacers on these. I'm also trying to fit fat tires (225/55) on here, any thoughts on which would be better? It seems like getting the 17x8 would be better, because the more I push the wheel out, the harder it will be for a fat sidewall to clear the fenders. Damnit.
tempImageSibrp9.png
tempImage4dTTXC.png

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well damn, wish I'd found this thread earlier... just tried to slap some MR131 17x7 on my PP car today and found they don't clear the calipers. Now I have to decide whether to try to track down some 17x8 or put spacers on these. I'm also trying to fit fat tires (225/55) on here, any thoughts on which would be better? It seems like getting the 17x8 would be better, because the more I push the wheel out, the harder it will be for a fat sidewall to clear the fenders. Damnit.
View attachment 209595View attachment 209596
That's the exact wheel I got and used 10mm spacers in the front and 15mm in the back. With 235-45 tires they sit flush with the fenders.

GTI_Mitchell

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S w/ PP
That's the exact wheel I got and used 10mm spacers in the front and 15mm in the back. With 235-45 tires they sit flush with the fenders.
What spacers did you get? I know there's a million spacer threads but for that reason I'm hesitant to take the dive with them, I don't want to end up dealing with vibration problems. I've heard 42DD spacers are good? And I know I want to go with hub centric spacers.
Monster truck problems.
Hahaha yeah pretty much. I'm either building a sick rally car or a monstrosity, not sure which yet.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What spacers did you get? I know there's a million spacer threads but for that reason I'm hesitant to take the dive with them, I don't want to end up dealing with vibration problems. I've heard 42DD spacers are good? And I know I want to go with hub centric spacers.

Hahaha yeah pretty much. I'm either building a sick rally car or a monstrosity, not sure which yet.
Discount Tires ordered the wheels and they came with hub centric plastic spacers which have been fine for 120,000 miles.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti

I’ve run hubcentric spacers from urotuning for a while now and they are great. As far as monstrosity, I had 2 lifted Subaru imprezas roughly 13 years ago on big all terrain tires and they were a ton of fun and people thought I was nuts. and a few years later Subaru came out with the crosstrek... go figure

GTI_Mitchell

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S w/ PP
I’ve run hubcentric spacers from urotuning for a while now and they are great. As far as monstrosity, I had 2 lifted Subaru imprezas roughly 13 years ago on big all terrain tires and they were a ton of fun and people thought I was nuts. and a few years later Subaru came out with the crosstrek... go figure
Good to hear haha. I got the Alltrack suspension (almost) fully installed this weekend, I'm getting excited. With these tires this thing is going to rip on dirt roads!