GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Recommendation?

treyus30

Car(s)
2015 Golf R DSG
Hi all, created this account to hopefully get some help choosing my next tires.

I bought my 2015 R pre-owned with Federal 595s (edit: RS-RR) on it a couple years ago, which are going to need replacing soon. I love them, best tires I've ever owned, and I'd totally get them again....if it weren't for the noise. (It only marginally bothers me tbh, but its the first thing that passengers notice).

So I've been struggling to figure out what will give similar or better performance with less noise, reasonable price point, and does ok in Arizona winters (never below freezing temps, so summer tire probably ok, though I'd prefer an all-season or snow-capable in case I ever want to take a trip up north). This is my daily driver, so I can sacrifice a little performance for longevity/treadwear, but ideally keep the performance at least at the Federal level.

I've seen recommendations mainly for Pilot Super Sports, Potenza RE-71Rs, but how much better are they than the Federals I have, and more importantly, how much quieter are they? In other words, are they worth the price hike?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hi all, created this account to hopefully get some help choosing my next tires.

I bought my 2015 R pre-owned with Federal 595s on it a couple years ago, which are going to need replacing soon. I love them, best tires I've ever owned, and I'd totally get them again....if it weren't for the noise. (It only marginally bothers me tbh, but its the first thing that passengers notice).

So I've been struggling to figure out what will give similar or better performance with less noise, reasonable price point, and does ok in Arizona winters (never below freezing temps, so summer tire probably ok, though I'd prefer an all-season or snow-capable in case I ever want to take a trip up north). This is my daily driver, so I can sacrifice a little performance for longevity/treadwear, but ideally keep the performance at least at the Federal level.

I've seen recommendations mainly for Pilot Super Sports, Potenza RE-71Rs, but how much better are they than the Federals I have, and more importantly, how much quieter are they? In other words, are they worth the price hike?

Thanks in advance
595 with which suffix? Multiple tires are under the "595" family

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
RS-RR
The tread pattern has weird resonances at highway speeds (60-80mph), specifically.

Thanks, those look promising for sure!
RS-RR are some of the noisiest tires I've ever heard. The new RS-Pro are being marketed as an updated RS-RR with less tread noise. I don't have experience with them, but I have a friend with the RS-Pro, and he loves them.

treyus30

Car(s)
2015 Golf R DSG
RS-RR are some of the noisiest tires I've been heard. The new RS-Pro are being marketed as an updated RS-RR with less tread noise. I don't have experience with them, but I have a friend with the RS-Pro, and he loves them.
Hmm, interesting. That would explain why I haven't noticed them on any of the main tire sites.. Thanks, I'll add them to the mental comparison.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Michelin PS AS3+ would likely please your passengers and doesn’t fall too short of summer performance.

This.
This is also what I have, but some have said that they can be noisy, which is something you specifically mentioned in your first post.
I don't notice that though. Perhaps on occasion, but it really just depends on the road
Another option is the Continental DWS06. It is right up there with the AS3+ in terms of performance.

treyus30

Car(s)
2015 Golf R DSG
This.
This is also what I have, but some have said that they can be noisy, which is something you specifically mentioned in your first post.
I don't notice that though. Perhaps on occasion, but it really just depends on the road
Another option is the Continental DWS06. It is right up there with the AS3+ in terms of performance.
Cool man, glad to get some consensus. I had found those Continentals, but I almost never see the brand recommended, so I wasn't sure. Thanks

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Oh Conti's are up there in performance, they are a good tire.
I have always been happy with them however I have never had the DWS06 I mentioned.
Another great performance summer tire is the Firestone Indy 500, those are some good tires at a great price point.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
The fact you used re-71 in the same sentence as daily is comical.
I run these on my summer setup. I wouldn’t call my commute daily but I love them. Definitely in the loud category, but I have the traction I desire most of the time. I have stretched this set to nearly 8k lol.

Attachments

• 1F598D43-207C-4BC5-BE02-E02CFE402187.jpeg
    1F598D43-207C-4BC5-BE02-E02CFE402187.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 99

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
The Continental DWS06 shows it is .7 inches narrower than the Michelin AS3+. 7.4 vs 8.1 inches in the stock 225/40 size. Conti is 3# lighter, which is a plus for ride, but I bet they are floppier in the sidewalls. I have the Conti ECS on my Miata now and can hardly wait to wear them out, if they even stay on that long, way too much sidewall flex.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=241

Last edited:

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
So far I have had on my car the OEM Bridgestone RE97AS which I absolutely hated and couldn't wait to wear them out. I got 41k miles out of these.

Then I put on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and really like this tire, like others have said it is surprisingly good for an all season tire and wore really well. I got 39k miles out of mine. Highly recommended.

Currently have 20k miles on and I think I have about 10k left on them is the Firestone Indy 500's. These are super cheap and good summer tire. They will never be as good as the PS4S, PSS and other very expensive summer tires but if all you want is a good daily summer tire and dont track your car these are a really nice option.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
If occasionally venturing in to snow I’d stay with performance oriented all seasons/ M+S tires. I wouldn’t consider summer/performance tires to be an option.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I just bit the bullet and got the Michelins. 1600 miles on the Bridgestones were enough. They weren’t horrible tires, but the grip in dry was not what I was looking for, they were great in the wet. Now to sell them off....

If this was my only vehicle, I would probably have two sets of rims/tires.