GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Recommendation?

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I had the Michelins put on yesterday.Still working off the mold release, but they really transform the car’s handling. I drive a curvy stretch of two lane every day. With these tires it does not even feel stressed where the OEM tires were complaining. Turn in is much better. Car feels more connected to the road rather than gliding over it. They seem to be a bit louder, but I need to drive them more. Definitely a wider tire. Bonus is they now protect the rims. If you want to transform the handling of the car, a larger rear sway and a decent set of tires do wonders. I went with the 25mm Eibach, which is a low cost option. Also do the VCDS mod to the VAQ. It’s really in another league now.

Attachments

• FBE8358F-6E4B-4BD9-8F3A-9F00AE785649.jpeg
    FBE8358F-6E4B-4BD9-8F3A-9F00AE785649.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 136

w124_karl

Ready to race!
One of my OE Bridgestones has two screws in it, so I’m in a similar spot. it could be patched, but I kind of don’t want to, because I hate them. ?

Goodyear has a new tire called the Eagle Exhilarate that competes with the Pilot AS3+. Tire Rack rated them really well, but they’re probably too new to see much from other owners. Very well priced though - if I had to buy today I’d probably try a set.

I had the original Pilot AS3 a couple cars ago and they were really great, but not as long wearing as I’d hoped.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Yeah one of the reasons I want with the AS3+ was the supposedly better tread life.
I really wish I could remember how many miles ago I put them on (I'm sure I can figure it out) but I don't think they are going to last as long as I originally thought.
Still longer than a PSS or PS4S, but I guess we'll see.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
If you step up to the ultra high performance all seasons, I think less mileage is a given. I am expecting 30K or so, depends a lot on how aggressive I drive. If you want mileage you need to step down to the Touring type tire and live with less ultimate grip.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
For sure. I jut thought the AS3+ would be the happy medium.
I know treadwear ratings need to be taken with a grain of salt, but the Michelin was definitely one of the higher numbers.
I drive a lot (in traffic, in straight lines) so I can't really justify spending more on a tire that will wear out quicker.
I'm totally happy with the AS3+ though, for the record.
There is a good chance I will get another set if I don't FIND a way to justify buying some summers hah.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Michelin PS4S, and never look back. Best performance tire currently available, yet not so soft that they'll wear quickly - you should get 30-40k out of a set. Living in Mesa, you don't need an all-season tire, so all of those options are out the window. Why compromise when your climate says you don't have to?

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
All the UHP all seasons seem to be 500 treadwear rated. If I did not live in curvy road nirvana, I would not waste the $$. Meanwhile I have my OEMs sitting, on Clint and the local FB marketplace. Used tires are a hard sell.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Michelin PS4S, and never look back. Best performance tire currently available, yet not so soft that they'll wear quickly - you should get 30-40k out of a set. Living in Mesa, you don't need an all-season tire, so all of those options are out the window. Why compromise when your climate says you don't have to?

You really think so?
Because at this point that's what I'm expecting out of the AS3+ lol.
I am hard on my tires when I have the chance, but those chances are few and far between.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Well, *I* would expect that kind of mileage - I have no idea how some of you cats might abuse your tires, so I suppose all bets are off. But point is - for what they are - longevity is excellent. Just a few years ago a tire this grippy wouldn't be nearly as durable.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Well, *I* would expect that kind of mileage - I have no idea how some of you cats might abuse your tires, so I suppose all bets are off. But point is - for what they are - longevity is excellent. Just a few years ago a tire this grippy wouldn't be nearly as durable.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm EASY on tires.
But I'm sure I'm not as hard as some.
I dunno, maybe next time around I'll try some out just to see for my self...what the worst that could happen? lol

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I had the Michelins put on yesterday.Still working off the mold release, but they really transform the car’s handling. I drive a curvy stretch of two lane every day. With these tires it does not even feel stressed where the OEM tires were complaining. Turn in is much better. Car feels more connected to the road rather than gliding over it. They seem to be a bit louder, but I need to drive them more. Definitely a wider tire. Bonus is they now protect the rims. If you want to transform the handling of the car, a larger rear sway and a decent set of tires do wonders. I went with the 25mm Eibach, which is a low cost option. Also do the VCDS mod to the VAQ. It’s really in another league now.

Nice. I don't think there is another tire manufacturer who has that rim protection down as well as Michelin.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
Update on the AS3s. They make too much noise for my liking. They roar at almost any speed, like 4x4 aggressive tires. Not something I can live with. Love the handling. Went to the TireRack reviews and other VW owners have complained about the same thing. They were not that way on my MX5, so maybe something specific to the VW that does not play well with these tires.

Fortunately they have a satisfaction guarantee so I can exchange them for another BFG or Michelin tire. BFG has a HP all season, but I see noise complaints on that one too. I may try it if I can do another tire swap if I don’t like them. Or I may just go with the PIlot SS 4S tire and deal with swapping back the OEM tires for our brief cold season. Or look for another rim set for winter use.

Highly recommend the AS3s, if you can stand the noise.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Quiet and Performance tire, should not be in the same sentence.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
Quiet and Performance tire, should not be in the same sentence.
Look at the PS4 reviews, they are noted as being quiet. Continental ESC are also quiet. Have driven quite a few HP that are quiet, some others, not. Those never survived 10K on my vehicles. If they were all out 200 treadwear tires, I could forgive the roar, but they are not that. I am not going to live with it for the next 30K or so.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
scheduled to put on some PS4S on Tuesday, will report back with how they are after a week of use. Coming from Pirelli PZERO AS+