GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Rack chart comparisons?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
According to user ratings on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports tests, the Continental PureContact LS is one of the most comfortable and quietest tires available. If you use Tire Rack charts to compare them to the DWS06 though, the DWS06 are actually rated slightly higher in those regards and of course handle better. Does this mean that Tire Rack charts are not accurate when comparing tires of two different types to one another? The PureContact LS are GT tires while the DWS06 are UHP. I am trying to decide between these two sets to go on my stock wheels and ditch the AS3+ tires I am using now due to the ride harshness on crappy Wisc. roads. To make things even more confusing they rate the AS3+ as having the same ride comfort as the DWS06 which everyone knows is not true at least in our stock tire size.
LS.jpg
DWS06.jpg

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Difference in user rating between these two tires are minimal.

I am a happy customer using DWS06 on multiple vehicles like many others in the forum and this has been echoed in multiple threads in the past as well.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
It's hard to compare tires from "user" reviews. They are very subjective. One person says they are great the next says they suck lol

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
It's hard to compare tires from "user" reviews. They are very subjective. One person says they are great the next says they suck lol

True but the charts are what makes me wonder. They seems inconsistent like how I mentioned the AS3+ ranks the same as the DWS6 for ride comfort.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
You could subscribe to Consumer Report and check how they do ratings. I believe they have some objective measures but its been a couple years since I've looked, and that was winters so YMMV.

Online user reviews vary because peoples opinions vary, and there will be a grouping at Tire Rack that comes from their user base that differs from Discount Tires average of that user group.

You are in the right place- IMHO asking the most race and track savvy VW enthusiasts here about their tires, and
To be thorough you could check out vwvortex for more or FB Volkswagon Alltrack Group, for more.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
According to user ratings on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports tests, the Continental PureContact LS is one of the most comfortable and quietest tires available. If you use Tire Rack charts to compare them to the DWS06 though, the DWS06 are actually rated slightly higher in those regards and of course handle better. Does this mean that Tire Rack charts are not accurate when comparing tires of two different types to one another? The PureContact LS are GT tires while the DWS06 are UHP. I am trying to decide between these two sets to go on my stock wheels and ditch the AS3+ tires I am using now due to the ride harshness on crappy Wisc. roads. To make things even more confusing they rate the AS3+ as having the same ride comfort as the DWS06 which everyone knows is not true at least in our stock tire size.View attachment 176584View attachment 176585
Apples to oranges since they are tested at 2 distinct different times, as well as likely different tire sizes, and potentially different cars used (which has different suspension tuning)

The metrics are what the testers think at that time of time of testing, it's not a overall composite score that you can compare one test to another.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I had contacted TireRack in the past when I was comparing PS4's to Cup 2's and they said you can only use their comparison charts for tires within the same category. I was told TireRack ratings are weighted to the performance group the tire belongs in.

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I’ve had two sets of DWS before and liked them. They were on a 5 cylinder jetta though so they weren’t dealing with as much power. They’re on the shortlist to replace the stock tires on my GTI.

bitflogger

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack
I've purchased tires that had a lot of crowd sourced reviews on Tire Rack and valued those ratings more than some of the professional tests and reviews. That's the experience from thousands of owners and very often over time.

Noticing the WI roads and Primacy in first post.... My wife's vehicle doesn't have many tire choices. That is one of them. We're in WI. Her Primacy tires are a nice and comfy low profile tire not terrible in winter but really good overall for the rest of the year.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
My wife runs the Continental PureContact LS on her Passat TDI, we bought them for all the improvements over the previous gen Conti..forget the name. Not sure about cornering grip but they are quiet, comfortable, but firm (not as firm as my Michelin 4s) and get great gas mileage, We are hoping they last 70k miles. Hope that helps.