GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Pressure Gauges - NOT the junk ones

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
What's wrong with the inexpensive accutire digital gauge?

Sure it is not calibrated by gage lab (thus doesn't require annual recalibration), but close enough for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Long Acre is the standard from what I understand. However, my skill level is not high enough where I can feel the difference between a .4 psi variance that a +/- 1% $20 gauge would give me vs the .1 psi variance a +/- .3% $100+ gauge has. So, I guess I'm not much help.

That being said, I'm curious on the benefits of a digital vs mechanical and why you're targeting a digital. I'm always worried some electronic part or battery is going to die out at the most inopportune time.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Hazet-9041-1...TF8&qid=1549220603&sr=8-1&keywords=hazet+tire

Similarly, I have a hazet digital gauge I keep in the glovebox.

HAZET is basically German Snap-On, and has been closely linked with VW for many years.

Beware that the fitting won't work with normal 1/4" NPT, since they use a British standard in the EU.

This can be fixed with one of these on the end of your hose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BVYSY2/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Forget digital...what you need is a big diameter dial..they are more accurate as the needle reads over a bigger arc so you can read the setting better...& get one with a bleed valve..

I have a 4" Newbow one...as used by the MOD, Prodrive, etc...

However a Longacre 3 1/2" Magnum Gauge looks suitable...

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I should mention, I already have an analog gauge. Problem is I can't see it very well in the dark, so this is why I am looking for a digital gauge. I check psi early morning on my daily drivers before sunrise and sometimes I need to check psi at night, so good to have digital. The one I currently use now can measure 0.1 and quite accurate, but the valve is worn out. It's like 20yrs old, so time to get a replacement.

For the cars in my garage, analog is fine.

Thanks for the responses. I'll just get the Longacre one I linked as it appears their digital ones are pretty good too.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I should mention, I already have an analog gauge. Problem is I can't see it very well in the dark, so this is why I am looking for a digital gauge. I check psi early morning on my daily drivers before sunrise and sometimes I need to check psi at night, so good to have digital. The one I currently use now can measure 0.1 and quite accurate, but the valve is worn out. It's like 20yrs old, so time to get a replacement.

Thanks for the responses. I'll just get the Longacre one I linked as it appears their digital ones are pretty good too.

Digital gauges are all pretty much the same accuracy wise.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Digital gauges are all pretty much the same accuracy wise.

Yeah, we all like to believe that, but they aren't. Thus why I did not want to get the cheap ones especially those that can only measure in 0.5psi increments. Some of them loose caliberation too especially in different temperatures. I mean if you're okay with them, go for it. It's better than not having a gauge at all.

I got the Longacre today (52-53000) and tested it out vs a couple of my analog gauges. I like it. Easy to read in the dark and consistent as I'd expect. The hose is soft too in cold temps which is welcome.

Thanks again guys. :cool:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Got one like below and have done for years. Keep in the seat drawer and it is used weekly. Accurate and cheap and no need for anything else.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

edrex

Ready to race!
Just on a side note, is the accutire the go-to for people who don’t want to spend $$$ on a pressure gauge but want one that’s basically ‘good enough’?

gti_1789

Passed Driver's Ed

What is the need/are the benefits to checking your tire pressure daily?

Also this is probably a dumb question but don’t you lose a little bit of pressure every time you check? So if you check every day you’re more likely to need more air sinner? Just curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
$10 digital off Amazon, works perfect and to the tenth. Check them about once a month. Rarely lose more than a pound or so. I can't see how this can be far enough off to make f-all of a difference. I have a higher-end SKS digital gauge ($20) I use for my bicycles and it's the same as the cheapie Amazon one. I never liked the analog ones much but have one of those too and again, they all measure it the same.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J8DLGU2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1