GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire pressure for 245/40/18's?

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I've seen the charts that have been posted and have come up with 32 psi but seems extremely low and even looks like it when done. I've settled on 34 psi but noticed my MPG have noticeably dropped as well compared to stock. Those of you with the same sized tires, which PSI works best for you? Had a shop work on my car and told me my tires should be at 38 but they could just be going off the door jam sticker.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've seen the charts that have been posted and have come up with 32 psi but seems extremely low and even looks like it when done. I've settled on 34 psi but noticed my MPG have noticeably dropped as well compared to stock. Those of you with the same sized tires, which PSI works best for you? Had a shop work on my car and told me my tires should be at 38 but they could just be going off the door jam sticker.

Just set the tire pressure to what it says on the door sticker. Then adjust up or down according to how even the treadwear is. Usually the starting point is around 37-38 psi.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
What tires? What's the load rating? Don't do the old school...looks flat so I'm gonna put some air in it, thing. Proper inflation for the tire based on load is what you need. This should be simple. If the tire is designed to easily carry the load, then fill it to the PSI the load sheet says. Michelin Pilot Sport 4s here in 245/40/18 running 32 psi.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
If it's XL (extra load) rated then your psi should be 32. That's for a 1298 load rating, Golf R stock tires call for 1288 load rating so you're good for 10 lbs over the car's max load rating per tire. BTW your MPG's probably dropped because of the wider/grippier tires.