GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tint/Ceramic

Wing R

Hey guys ... So I dont know whether I should do Ceramic protection at Royal 3m Car Or i shoudnt... And I have no clue where to Tint my car .. saying that Royal car offered to tint my car for 1200 dhs .. Ceramic protection costs around 3500 so the total is 4700.. I heard from some of my friends that V - Kool is good thoughts??

GTi..FTW!

Ready to race!
Well, what do you want the tint for? For privacy or to keep the car cool. As silly as it sounds, no amount of tint will prevent the car from baking if it's left in the open for 30 mins... in August.

I have vkool and i'm pretty satisfied with it.

Wing R

Well I did some research and people suggested that i should get ceramic protection... but I dunno whether i should go with 3M or V kool.. my friends argue over which is better So i thought i should ask here

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Vkool.

Better quality, better price, better warranty.

I've had both so I can attest to it.

All cars in my house have Vkool (6)

3M, doesn't look as good, is overpriced for the Heat Rejection it offers and It had the 3m logos all over your glass once they put the film lol.

An existing thread just a few posts down, and I put some pics in that one if it helps......

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11380

P.S. Tint is NOT about keeping your car cool when its parked. Its about keeping the car cool when its on.

Park it outside in August and no tint will stop heat. But sit down and start the car and the cabin cools down much faster and remains cool with no heat coming through the window (vkool)....With 3m I still felt some heat on my arms. No such issue with vkool.

Just thought i'd put that in in case :p

For Ceramic Protection check out Prestige Detailing - They use Gtechniq, which is the top dog for ceramic coatings.

I do my own cars. But if paying a company, go for something worth it and known.

Last edited:

Wing R

Vkool.

3M, doesn't look as good, is overpriced for the Heat Rejection it offers and It had the 3m logos all over your glass once they put the film lol.

An existing thread just a few posts down, and I put some pics in that one if it helps......

P.S. Tint is NOT about keeping your car cool when its parked. Its about keeping the car cool when its on.

Park it outside in August and no tint will stop heat. But sit down and start the car and the cabin cools down much faster and remains cool with no heat coming through the window (vkool)....With 3m I still felt some heat on my arms. No such issue with vkool.

For Ceramic Protection check out Prestige Detailing - They use Gtechniq, which is the top dog for ceramic coatings.

Thanks man .. Now im definitely going for V-kool .. but what about Royal car for ceramic protection are they good ?? and how much does prestige detailing charge for only exterior ceramic protection.. Thanks again

Moez

Passed Driver's Ed
Vkool.

Many thanks Mukul for the detailed info, I just received my clubsport few weeks ago and planning to do the tinting and ceramic coating as well,
for Vkool; which place to go to install it??
and regarding the Gtechniq how is Prestige detailing compared to AMCC Auto Mystique?
I visited AMCC last Saturday and was quite impressed with their work but the quote i got was quite expensive, any ideas how much Prestige are quoting? Many thanks in advance.

Wing R

also what do you think about SunTek tints? how are they compared to V-Kool?

Im not experienced when it comes to tint .. But its a fact that the difference between a tint and another tint is not that far of a difference.. but V-kool and 3M are the top in dubai ... and since i took the time asking soo many people most said vkool is better and also has lower prices ( no clue about suntek but v kool is definitely better )

Wing R

Ok I have a really common question ... Should i go for manual car wash or the auto machine car wash.. ( I usually go for auto machine on my other car ).

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
AMCC is good but ridiculously overpriced.

Prestige has the prices on their website. As with any "good" ceramic coating you are looking at at least 3-4k. Before any application of ceramic coating the paint has to be polished properly and all swirls and scratches have to be removed.

If you plan on washing on your car outside, then manual for sure. Auto is useless. You need agitation of dirt to get it off the paint. Dirt and road grime bonds to the paint. Auto just sprays water and then it comes off, the guys then wipe the paint, what they are doing at this point is wiping the sand and dirt with a wet cloth and sand is essentially sio2, aka glass. :)

Also, just my $0.02 ceramic coating is used to make cleaning the car easier and reducing scratches (not eliminating). But washing it outside will just bring the scratches right back. Theres washing the car and then theres the correct way of washing the car. Based on that alone I would say avoid ceramic and do a little research on applying sealants. It costs a fraction, you can do it yourself and get similar benefits as a coating, just that it wont last as long.

If you dont plan on maintaining your own car the right way, do not go for ceramic. One wash at a gas station and the scratches will come back. Trust me on this, that 3-4k is not worth spending. This is because their wash medium is cotton cloths, cotton is hard. Secondly, they wash hundred of cars a day with petroleum based soaps, to save cost. Just imagine the amount of dirt in their wash medium.

p.s. If you have not seen on the forum, I polish/detail cars as a hobby lol. Just mine and family though.

For Vkool, they have a center in al quoz near ace hardware which is their main branch. They also do installation in Auto pro mankhool, MCC and Festival city. I have used all 3 along with their main branch. Vkool is only istalled by their own people. Not like 3m which is available almost everywhere you look.

Last edited:

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Thanks man .. Now im definitely going for V-kool .. but what about Royal car for ceramic protection are they good ?? and how much does prestige detailing charge for only exterior ceramic protection.. Thanks again

Who knows what brand they use. Gtechniq is known all over the world as some of the best ceramic coating technology.

As far as you know, Royal car might just be using a teflon coating, which is essentially a sealant and charging you for a coating. BIG Difference.

Moez

Passed Driver's Ed
AMCC is good but ridiculously overpriced.

Prestige has the prices on their website. As with any "good" ceramic coating you are looking at at least 3-4k. Before any application of ceramic coating the paint has to be polished properly and all swirls and scratches have to be removed.

If you plan on washing on your car outside, then manual for sure. Auto is useless. You need agitation of dirt to get it off the paint. Dirt and road grime bonds to the paint. Auto just sprays water and then it comes off, the guys then wipe the paint, what they are doing at this point is wiping the sand and dirt with a wet cloth and sand is essentially sio2, aka glass. :)

Also, just my $0.02 ceramic coating is used to make cleaning the car easier and reducing scratches (not eliminating). But washing it outside will just bring the scratches right back. Theres washing the car and then theres the correct way of washing the car. Based on that alone I would say avoid ceramic and do a little research on applying sealants. It costs a fraction, you can do it yourself and get similar benefits as a coating, just that it wont last as long.

If you dont plan on maintaining your own car the right way, do not go for ceramic. One wash at a gas station and the scratches will come back. Trust me on this, that 3-4k is not worth spending. This is because their wash medium is cotton cloths, cotton is hard. Secondly, they wash hundred of cars a day with petroleum based soaps, to save cost. Just imagine the amount of dirt in their wash medium.

p.s. If you have not seen on the forum, I polish/detail cars as a hobby lol. Just mine and family though.

For Vkool, they have a center in al quoz near ace hardware which is their main branch. They also do installation in Auto pro mankhool, MCC and Festival city. I have used all 3 along with their main branch. Vkool is only istalled by their own people. Not like 3m which is available almost everywhere you look.

Many thanks Mukul for the detailed information , much appreciated

I've seen all your posts regarding maintaing the car and was quite impressed, in fact based on that i want to wash the car myself but unfortunately i live in a building with no access to water in the basement
so what i was thinking of is to do the ceramic coating and get the car washed weekly manually at the petrol station by using pressure washer in which they first rinse then soap foam the car then rinse again and not to allow them to put any cloth on the car
so since it has a ceramic coat, water should just repel of the car and based on my discussion with the AMCC guys they say that during the lifecycle of the coat (around 7 years) you don't need to touch the paint with a cloth at all, hence manual washing without cloth tocuh the paint should do the trick, what do you think about this solution?
also do you know any other recommended places using Gtechniq? AMCC are the only official ones avilable on Gtechniq website.

Moez

Passed Driver's Ed
for tinting i just came from VKool in Al Quoz area and they quoted the following for the GTI:-

- Royal Package - 95% heat rejection - 3600 aed (double film)
- Super premium - 80% heat rejection - 3150 aed (7 layers)
- Premium - 70% heat rejection - 2600 aed
- Stature - 65% heat rejection - 1750 aed (3 layers)
- Signature - 50% heat rejection - 1050 aed
- Front Clear Tint - 70% heat rejection - 900 aed

any recommendation which one to choose based on cost vs benefit??

also on vkool international website i couldn't find the packages of super premium, premium, and diamond so their packages are not structured same as international, is that something to worry about? or in other words is their packages structure here some sort of a rip off??

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
for tinting i just came from VKool in Al Quoz area and they quoted the following for the GTI:-

- Royal Package - 95% heat rejection - 3600 aed (double film)
- Super premium - 80% heat rejection - 3150 aed (7 layers)
- Premium - 70% heat rejection - 2600 aed
- Stature - 65% heat rejection - 1750 aed (3 layers)
- Signature - 50% heat rejection - 1050 aed
- Front Clear Tint - 70% heat rejection - 900 aed

any recommendation which one to choose based on cost vs benefit??

also on vkool international website i couldn't find the packages of super premium, premium, and diamond so their packages are not structured same as international, is that something to worry about? or in other words is their packages structure here some sort of a rip off??

I had signature/royal mix on my Gti. Signature k28 30% dar on all windows, then on top of it, my rear windows had H20 40%. Both of these are Signature series. Royal is two films of premium. I just put two films of Signature lol.

This was more for looks than heat rejection. But the double film helped.

On my current car I have Stature. X25(30%) in front and X05(60%) in the back. I like the staggered look and this time went for Stature.

I could not get the staggered look using Signature by using A darker shade on teh rear windows as the color isnt the same. Hence the 30% all around to first get the outer film to look the same all around, followed by a darker on top of it, to increase darkness, but not affect the look :)

Not a rip off. Premium and Super premium exist with different wordings. You need to know the code for the particular tint. Example - My dad had premium VK40. So once you know which films they use, you can read about it on the website.

Packages are definitely different, but thats just marketing 101.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
so what i was thinking of is to do the ceramic coating and get the car washed weekly manually at the petrol station by using pressure washer in which they first rinse then soap foam the car then rinse again and not to allow them to put any cloth on the car
so since it has a ceramic coat, water should just repel of the car and based on my discussion with the AMCC guys they say that during the lifecycle of the coat (around 7 years) you don't need to touch the paint with a cloth at all, hence manual washing without cloth tocuh the paint should do the trick, what do you think about this solution?
also do you know any other recommended places using Gtechniq? AMCC are the only official ones avilable on Gtechniq website.

Prestige detailing uses gtechniq. To be on a Gtechniq website you need to be a certified installer for "ONE" of their products, which is Crystal Serum. Once this coating is applied, the only way to get it off is using sandpaper. This requires training by gtechniq and costs a ton.

Prestige offer Crystal Serum Light, which is 90% the same as Crystal Serum but easier to work with and does not need to be sanded off. They also offer C1. All are good.

Crystal serum works best with a top layer of a product called "exo". Basically a two part system.

As for not applying a cloth on the car, thats a marketing gimmick. The only way to wash a car is by applying some form of agitation. I do this weekly and my car is ceramic coated. I pressure rinse, foam, pressure rinse and do a 2 bucket wash (safest method, read about it). Before the two bucket I can still see a ton of dirt still stuck to my car. Water and foam removes the loose dirt, agitation with a wash mitt and soap removes the stuck on dirt.

Don't fall for this nonsense of Only water is enough. Ceramic coating makes cleaning easier, but doesn't eliminate it. yes it repels water, but even a wax repels water. Keep your car outside for a week - then do the method they say, pressure rinse, foam, pressure rinse, air dry. Once fully dry look at the cars paint in sunlight - it will be miles away from clean :p

Hope that helps.

P.S. if you live in an apartment - look up rinseless washing. I do this in summers when its hot. Look up rinseless wash garry dean method. It might look daunting and scary - but based on my research and 3 years of use, I find it even safer than a traditional wash with water,soap and pressure(2 bucket) etc. I have yet to find a single scratch on my paint. Do it properly and nothing happens to the paint. My friends in California can only do rinseless washes as its not allowed to use running water in California to wash a car.

A leaving note: 90% of scratches are swirls are caused due to improper washing techniques.

All the best.