GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TimNeedsCoffee10's Build Thread

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
2019 Update: life unexpectedly got in the way just 2 months after I bought this car. It was a wild 2 years, and all is well now - but this build never came to fruition and my MK7 GTI stayed mostly stock until I traded her in. Check in with me on my 2019 GLI Build instead: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54482

I always kept a running list of mods / planned projects at the top of my MK6 build thread (see link below), so I'm reorganizing this first post a bit to match... since the car is brand new, there won't be anything too crazy, but I guess you never know :).

Phase One (refinement):
Spring/Summer 2017
  • (done) BMS JB4 - Map 6 with default values
  • (done) IKH24 Plugs @ 0.024"
  • (done) deAutoKey Red Footwells
  • (done) BFI Red Alcantra shift knob
  • (done) Shortening the shifter stalk
  • (done) Remove the clutch bleeder block restrictor
  • (planned) 034 Billet Pendulum Mount Insert
  • (planned) Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter

Phase Two (handling):
tbd
  • VWR Springs
  • 15/20mm Wheel Spacers
  • Unibrace XBQ, UBQ

Phase Three (power):
tbd
  • RSR Clutch Kit
  • Water/Meth Injection
  • Intake
  • Downpipe
  • Stage 1 Mounts - maybe

Original Post
So on Friday I took a drive out to my dealership in my MK6, and decided to drive away in a brand new 2017 GTI SE ... That's my MK6 on the left.

My Last Build (2011 MK6 GTI)
My original build thread on the MK6 forum can be found here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57175

My MK6 was pretty aggressive, and I plan to keep my MK7 rather tame by comparison. I'm planning to do JB4 and a DeiselGeek short shifter to start her off right... but will plan carefully and move forward slowly from there. With only 37 miles on her off the lot, there's no hurry at all. I had my MK6 for 7 years, and 121,911 miles. I plan to have the MK7 for just as long.

Very excited to have a clean slate, and amazing car, to start again.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Wow on the MK6 thread, and that was the first page.
Loved the headlights on the 6. Very nice build.
Looks like we gained a new thread to follow.
Sounds like you had a good weekend.

Good luck on the controlled build.;)

I see you used the Tyrolsport deadset kit.
Thoughts on this? I purchase but backed out on install.
Mainly due to concerns the alignment would be off and they could not adjust in due to sub frame being locked in place. I could never find any positive reviews to confirm or deny this concern.

I would welcome you but you do not need that as you have been living the GTI life. But, I am glad you are now on our side. Gain for us.

One suggestion, Weathertech mats this time around and early.

Also, on cleaning chrome tips, try aluminum foil and some WD40.
Thank me later for passing in this info I learned from others.

You need to post the picture of the 6 loaded with fire pit bricks for the MK7 crowd.
An impressive load!

Last edited:

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Congrats on the new car. Jb4 is a great place to start. Talk to George at Burger Motorsports to get some low torque settings if you don't want to replace your clutch any time soon. They cant handle the added power.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Wow on the MK6 thread, and that was the first page.
Loved the headlights on the 6. Very nice build.
Looks like we gained a new thread to follow.

Hey man -- thanks! I appreciate it ... the MK6 Build was a learning experience all the way through. When I got her, I had never so much as changed my own oil before.

You need to post the picture of the 6 loaded with fire pit bricks for the MK7 crowd.
An impressive load!

Ask and ye shall receive ... loaded up with pavers:

From the side:

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Congrats on the new car. Jb4 is a great place to start. Talk to George at Burger Motorsports to get some low torque settings if you don't want to replace your clutch any time soon. They cant handle the added power.

Thanks for the tip ... I've been reading a lot, and it definitely seems like the stock clutch in these cars can't handle nearly as much as they could in the MK6... maybe it's just been so long since I've had a stock clutch I don't remember... The JB4 shipped today, so I plan to run that on Map1 for the time being just for a little extra something. Coming from a 342 WHP FrankenTurbo MK6 -- my stock MK7 feels a little underpowered

Here's the dyno chart from the very end of my MK6 build

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Thanks for the tip ... I've been reading a lot, and it definitely seems like the stock clutch in these cars can't handle nearly as much as they could in the MK6... maybe it's just been so long since I've had a stock clutch I don't remember... The JB4 shipped today, so I plan to run that on Map1 for the time being just for a little extra something. Coming from a 342 WHP FrankenTurbo MK6 -- my stock MK7 feels a little underpowered

Here's the dyno chart from the very end of my MK6 build

Very nice. That must have been a fun car. I give it a year before you are is38 with bolt ons on the mk7 lol. Although you can some crazy power out of the stock turbo. Probably pretty close to what you had if you push it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Very nice. That must have been a fun car. I give it a year before you are is38 with bolt ons on the mk7 lol. Although you can some crazy power out of the stock turbo. Probably pretty close to what you had if you push it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Hah ... believe me, I've already started pricing it all out ...

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
I see you used the Tyrolsport deadset kit.
Thoughts on this? I purchase but backed out on install.
Mainly due to concerns the alignment would be off and they could not adjust in due to sub frame being locked in place. I could never find any positive reviews to confirm or deny this concern.

I never had a bad experience with them ... I installed them on my MK6 to resolve the subframe clunk which is common on that platform; and they did exactly that.

I had several alignments with them installed, and have never had any comments from my mechanic about them. The dead set kit does exactly what the factory should have done in the first place -- lock that subframe in place. The only reason to move it during an alignment would be if it shifted out of place at all -- which the deadset kit effectively prevents.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
JB4 will be here tomorrow - very excited to see how it performs. I ran APR on my MK6 K04, and then a Cobb Pro-Tune (by Freektune) when I swapped the K04 for a Frankenturbo F23T.

The idea of a removable Piggy Back is pretty exciting, and it seems like it's capable of very similar gains.

Also up this week, I'll be installing my BFI weighted shift knob, and cutting down the shift stalk. It's no substitute for a short shifter - but I gotta remember to pace myself... Maybe I'll order the diesel geek tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
I put about 800 miles on the JB4 this weekend, running map 6 with the out-of-the-box values. The car feels really good, but has a slight hesitation accelerating past 3k in 4th. I suspect the plug gap needs to be tightened up a bit.

Guess I'll be picking up some IKH24s and probably starting at 0.024" - I was running 0.021 on my MK6, but I'm nowhere near those levels yet :).

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Creeping up on 2000 miles already! Will cross that mark on my way to work in the morning.

I installed red footwells and Denso IKH24's this weekend.

The tighter plug gap is very noticeable crossing 3500-4000 RPMs... she was hesitating a little in that range, but it's nice and smooth now.

I'll be pulling the restrictive from the clutch bleeder this week too - trying to decide if the ECS block adds any extra value before I bother.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Updated the build plan (at the top of the OP) with power and handling sections ... won't be starting much of that work until at least next summer, though. Have to budget and plan appropriately. I'll probably budget for the clutch before anything else, and then do springs/spacers after that before getting into much else.

I'm also getting ready to do an early oil change. I've got about 2,050 miles on her, and want to flush out the break in. Before everyone comments to tell me it's a waste of money - I know that already. It's for two primary reasons: (1) satisfaction of having done so, and (2) an excuse to spend time under the car getting to know her a little ;).