GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing chain tensioner issue

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So does he mean the tensioner screws holding it to the block are backing out and the piston is wearing into the timing cover plug? No doubt something ain't right, trying to understand exactly what might have caused this.

I see 5 threads in the photo, which looks to be in spec of six or fewer threads.
She said the spring tang was "mangled" so not really sure - I'll end up getting it back so will be curious to see what is broken that caused it...like you said, almost like it is not attached fully to the block? Likely working on it next week so I may swing by and have a look.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update:
Well the plot thickens on my timing chain tensioner issue....really weird situation. Just swung by the shop and talked to them, some high strangeness indeed!

Firstly - the engine is eat-off clean inside.

So the root cause? The bolts that were holding the timing chain tensioner to the block both snapped causing the tensioner to become cattywampas and the spring broke (piece of it was in the oil pan). The timing chain was not stretched/was within the specs. Can't believe I drove it for ~6 mos. this way including several days of hard mountain hooning in GA and over 40 runs down the drag strip. The loud noise on startup in April when I first thought something was wrong had to be those bolts breaking. The aluminum in my oil fiter last time was clearly from the timing chain cover b/c you see where it rubbed. The strangeness part now...1) the bolts that broke were not factory parts, they were v. lightweight aluminum/not the correct fasteners and 2) there are paint marks all over for timing it...that is not how they come from the factory according to them (Alfie Mendoza - comments?). Our guess is that since I bought this car new with about 50 miles on it (it was in the showroom when I got it and likely was driven at some point by dealer folks) that either at the factory or port something was wrong and it was re-timed and the bolts...who knows why they used those non-factory fasteners. She called the dealer I bought it from and they had no records of any repairs like this that I wasn't privy to when I bought it - that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't do this. I'm incredibly lucky to not have to have a new engine. My shop is great. Should have back on Wednesday.

20221010_114802.jpg
20221010_114954.jpg
20221010_115207.jpg
20221010_115543.jpg

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
thats pretty insane, hard to think the engine would've had any work at all at 50 miles so hard to think it wasnt something done at factory

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Mind. Blown.

Wow, lucky that it didn't blow up but unlucky that it came like this from the factory! I'd say it is a testament to the engine design that the chain tensioner can outright come loose and still live after numerous WoT pulls. For several months and thousands of miles no less, what a catch. Im sure getting the car back and enjoying it without wondering what that noise is will be great.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Mind. Blown.

Wow, lucky that it didn't blow up but unlucky that it came like this from the factory! I'd say it is a testament to the engine design that the chain tensioner can outright come loose and still live after numerous WoT pulls. For several months and thousands of miles no less, what a catch. Im sure getting the car back and enjoying it without wondering what that noise is will be great.
My mind blown too. Told them I made 40+ drag runs with it like that and their minds were blown too! Makes a lot more sense now why the chain stretch was in spec.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
That's wild. Your engine is a hero.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That's wild. Your engine is a hero.
1.8 FTW! Just luck I suppose, the way I'm thinking about it...with the bolts both broken it must not have a lot of room to move so it just stayed put and the spring took the brunt (and broke but still worked).

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Back home, nice to have it back. Also, nice new al-u-mini-um oil pan with magnetic reusable drain plug.

309020215_10158822167251723_1587377080942826099_n.jpg
311326907_10158823142701723_8683849643687147634_n.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I love our shop.....they are the epitome of what a true, indie mech shop that cares for the car and the owner. Perception Motor Werks FTW!

That said, Adam, glad you're not driving a rental while a new engine is on order.....insane it lasted through all of that.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I love our shop.....they are the epitome of what a true, indie mech shop that cares for the car and the owner. Perception Motor Werks FTW!

That said, Adam, glad you're not driving a rental while a new engine is on order.....insane it lasted through all of that.
Wha, just figured out they are only 53mins from my house, good to know!