GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing chain tensioner issue

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Sounds like I'm getting some chain slap on start up once in a while, goes away quickly but it's there. Anyone have experience with this on the gen 3 1.8 or 2.0? What I'm really looking for are the channels to look at and specs for the chain to check for stretch - I'm guessing it's just the tensioner and the chain is fine. 78K miles, tuned/driven hard since new so this isn't a shocker.

Screenshot_20220509-155359_OBDeleven.jpg

Last edited:

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Don’t know about what channels to check but I did have to get my chain replaced around 55k miles on my 2015

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update - got some folks on the FB group to post up their values - the same/close so not seeing that the chains are out of wack. Just seems like the tensioner may be shot/on the fritz.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I was recently pricing out different shops for a timing chain replacement, and one of the shops had suggested that I can get the chain tension checked to see if it’s still within tolerance, so that’s probably an option that you could explore if you wanted to verify. Unsure if they inspect the chain and the chain tensioner. The shops had recommended I get the chain replaced at 75k miles.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I was recently pricing out different shops for a timing chain replacement, and one of the shops had suggested that I can get the chain tension checked to see if it’s still within tolerance, so that’s probably an option that you could explore if you wanted to verify. Unsure if they inspect the chain and the chain tensioner. The shops had recommended I get the chain replaced at 75k miles.
I believe that's what I already did - using VCDS/OBDEleven you can look at the "stretch". If I have to do the chain I'm doing the MK6 GLI cam!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
If due to complaints (for example noises) an elongated camshaft timing chain is suspected, the chain length can be checked as described as follows.

Chain Length, Checking:
- Remove front right wheel
- Remove lower part of wheel arch liner
- Remove plug from side engine cover
- Turn the vibration damper in direction of engine rotation until the chain tensioner piston is maximally driven out
- Count the visible piston threads
NOTE: The visible threads are all of the threads that are located to the right of the chain tensioner housing
- If six or fewer threads are visible: the camshaft timing chain does not need to be replaced
- If seven or more threads are visible: the camshaft timing chain must be replaced

https://www.golf7gti.com/topic.php?p=255268#real255268

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update from the shop...yeah, glad I stopped driving it a few weeks ago and just let them have it.

Quick update. TLDR: it’s a ticking time bomb.

The timing chain tensioner is all the way out and has been cutting into the timing cover plug. You will need chains, tensioners, rails and the oil pan needs to be taken down to make sure there isn’t debris in it. Ideal time to upgrade to the aluminum oil pan as well. I have parts on order and will try to get you some kind of time and price estimate in the next day or so. I will not see all the parts until mid-week at the earliest and we leave for Watkins Thursday, but will try to expedite when we return because I know you have events coming up.

In April this year I started it one morning and it made a really loud racket and I though "timing chain"?...
IMG_7982.jpg
IMG_9782.jpg
Capture.JPG
20220824_155650.jpg
I had high aluminum in my last oil analysis and bits of aluminum in my oil fiter last change...well here is the source!

Last edited:

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Roughhhh. Out of curiosity, do you know what engine code you have? Curious if it’s worse of a thing for the early gen engines compared to later

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Roughhhh. Out of curiosity, do you know what engine code you have? Curious if it’s worse of a thing for the early gen engines compared to later
Is this what you mean:
1.8L TSI CXBB EA888

tigeo

Autocross Champion
And I don't think it's worse etc. b/c I don't think this happens often - v. rare best I can tell. Every part has some failure rate.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Dang tigeo, nice catch, still trying to visualize what was rubbing up against the timing cover plug.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
The timing chain tensioner is all the way out and has been cutting into the timing cover plug. You will need chains, tensioners, rails and the oil pan needs to be taken down to make sure there isn’t debris in it. Ideal time to upgrade to the aluminum oil pan as well. I have parts on order and will try to get you some kind of time and price estimate in the next day or so. I will not see all the parts until mid-week at the earliest and we leave for Watkins Thursday, but will try to expedite when we return because I know you have events coming up.
So does he mean the tensioner screws holding it to the block are backing out and the piston is wearing into the timing cover plug? No doubt something ain't right, trying to understand exactly what might have caused this.

I see 5 threads in the photo, which looks to be in spec of six or fewer threads.