GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing belt or chain?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
EA888 3G

Unfortunately, it's chain driven, while the small Golf EA211 (1.2/1.4 TSI)
and all Diesel (EA288) do come with a toothed belt.
It's quite common whisdom, VW/Audi isn't good in making chain drives . . . .

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Chains are zero maintenance, why is it unfortunate?

It's never the chain itself that has any issues. In prior Audis and VW's, the tensioners have been the weak points. Still too early to tell if these Gen 3 engines have been remedied or not I suppose. I'm not too worried though.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I haven't heard of any timing chain problems on the MK7 yet, nor with the latest tensioner design on the previous generation TSI engine.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Chains are zero maintenance, ...
in theory, yes.

... why is it unfortunate?
In Europe, where the 122 to 180 PS 1.4 TSI engines (1st gen > EA111) have been very popular on Golfs,
Tourans, Polos and several Skoda and Seats, their chain and chain drive issues are very well known.
You could read about in all print and online motor magazines. I personally know a couple of people
having those costly probs. Many Mk.VI GTIs (1st gen EA888) and 3.2 VR6 (R32, TT 3.2 and A3 3.2) do
also suffer the same. It's not just the tensioner, the chain used itself is weak.

I very much hope VW/Audi have learned their lesson and the current 3rd gen EA888 comes with
a reliable chain drive. I'd think so, as they did swap the smaller 1.4 TSIs from the chain driven
EA111 to the now (again) toothed belt driven EA211 on the Mk.VII.

Don't underestimate a toothed belt. It requires replacement, but on a gas driven car this isn't
an issue at all, as modern toothed belts last about 200.000 km. The 1st owner probably won't
have anything to do with it. Even more, it's easy to swap and quiet. Chains need lubrication and
some shielding to dampen the noise.

Toothed belts got a bad image when the 1st pumpe-düse TDI went into market, as their erarliest
generation required a change just every 60.000 km. Also on the toothed belts of the Audi V6 2.5 TDIs
of that time the necessary change has been a pain in the ass for any mechanic. Lots of work in
a very very narrow engine bay.

However, on a non-Diesel 4-pot Golf this isn't that hard at all. I'd prefer the belt - for its simplicity.

;)

davidbag

Hi!
I have a MK7 GTI Performance (230CV (EU/Switzerland)) from May 2013! I would like to know if it is timing belt or chain!
I also don't know, on each one, when to make the exchange or revision of it!

Can some one help me?

Thank you for your help!
Best regards

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Hi!
I have a MK7 GTI Performance (230CV (EU/Switzerland)) from May 2013! I would like to know if it is timing belt or chain!
I also don't know, on each one, when to make the exchange or revision of it!

Can some one help me?

Thank you for your help!
Best regards

Chain being the obvious answer.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Considering how well known of an issue the chain was on the previous iterations of the engine, I'd like to believe the engineers over at Wolfsburg paid extra attention when designing the assembly for the EA888.

Then again, time is really the only way to tell if anything has changed.