GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing belt interval

Bill92

Car(s)
VW Golf
Hi guys,

@golfdave Quick question. On a Golf Mk7 1.4 tsi, the timing belt must be changed at a specific time? My car has 75k miles but is 9 year-old. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
I believe golfdave has said VW changed it from 'lifetime' to a fixed km/mileage interval or 5 years. In the VW USA maintenance schedule it just says to inspect the ribbed belt every 40k miles (or 4 years, presumably) so it might just be a wait until it looks worn kind of situation. I'm probably just going to have mine changed at 5 years for piece of mind. I find it very annoying to inspect, I always have trouble removing the cover, which might just be a me problem

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The 1.8 has a timing chain, same as the 2.0.

Bill92

Car(s)
VW Golf
I see.. To be honest that was my thinking. After 5 years to change it. On the other hand, my garage mechanic told that 100k is OK to change and no need sooner, no matter how many years have passed. That's why I'm a little confused 🤷‍♂️

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
I see.. To be honest that was my thinking. After 5 years to change it. On the other hand, my garage mechanic told that 100k is OK to change and no need sooner, no matter how many years have passed. That's why I'm a little confused 🤷‍♂️
If you’re having no issues, I’d say 100k is a good deal

Bill92

Car(s)
VW Golf
If you’re having no issues, I’d say 100k is a good deal
Thanks! Already did the service for piece of mind. So what I saw was that the original belt( since 2013 with 75k miles on clock) was quite stiff. I didn't see any visual damage such as cracks,so yes, maybe had some more miles of life. The installation is quite tricky, as I was observing from distance. But all OK now!

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I was told 75k by a VW performance shop, but I wanted a leak fixed so I did it at 62k. Nearly 3x what I paid for a Tacoma timing belt replacement, but that’s VW for you.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Thanks! Already did the service for piece of mind. So what I saw was that the original belt( since 2013 with 75k miles on clock) was quite stiff. I didn't see any visual damage such as cracks,so yes, maybe had some more miles of life. The installation is quite tricky, as I was observing from distance. But all OK now!
Yeah, as long as everything looks good, I'd say you're safe up to 100K give or take.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
For some reason I didn't get a notification on this thread??..

VAG UK changed it to 5yrs.........VAG (Germany) originally stated for the life of the engine unless in a hot dusty country....(which the UK isn't)....

I change mine every 5yrs....doesn't cost much compared to a new engine....

Last edited:

Bill92

Car(s)
VW Golf
VW Greece states 180000km change interval now, when this generation golf came out was 150000km. Changed it for peace of mind,end of story 🤷‍♂️