GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thumper's 2012 Stg 3 Golf R - The Defiant

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hm personally I prefer the factory D-Style revision DV. None of the off the shelf tuners recommend anything other than the factory DV.

Not sure how that is relevant here. This is a factory replacement DV, using the factory harness in the factory location. It is merely engineered to hold boost more firmly and last longer, it's just stronger. So that would be like a tuner saying their tune won't work with upgraded connecting rods. LOL Again, this is a Stg 3 car, it's pushing 31psi which is double what the factory ever expected the car to see. While the D does not have the diaphragm that is prone to rupturing the spring and actuator inside will weaken over time especially when under such pressures. It's why so many folks run the GFB DV+ which rebuilds the internals of the D, this unit is just a step over that putting stronger internals inside a stronger case.

There is no interaction with the tune, it is sending out signals to the valve which the valve simply follows. Whether it's a factory C or a D, or this upgraded model it just takes signals from the ECU. The only way it could be an issue is if the valve is mis-reporting position back to the tune, which again is a valve issue not a tune issue.

Support got back to me and simply asked if I heard blow off noise or had a sudden loss of power. Which I did not, although I stupidly did not roll my windows down and really listen but I would expect venting 6PSI would be very noticeable. Also, no sudden loss of power, it just stopped pulling, it held the power it had once it maxed boost at 25psi.

I'm asking if they have any specific logs they need to see, but I plan on running some logs this Saturday to check boost requested and boost actual, see if it is a communication issue. Then I'll swap the Rev D back on and see if it fixes it....and if not....I guess I'm searching for a boost leak that wasn't there last Friday on my 100 mile drive home from work but WAS there Saturday right after I installed the TURBOSMART. :unsure:

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Well, new motor mounts arrived last week but no idea when I'll have time to get them put on. Still have several smaller projects on my list too. Dead sexy mounts though, like the look of them a lot more than the SPM I put on the GTI. Just beefier, and serviceable.

Need to drain and fill the transmission to see how much the slow leak is loosing. Previous owner had the trans rebuilt with upgraded forks but 5th gear makes a noise since I bought the car and has a small leak. Going to send the gear oil off for a sample test too. Supposedly the trans was fully disassembled and inspected with no issues or signs of damage to 5th noted and no idea what the noise is.

Also still need to track down the issue with the interior lights which is hopefully just a fuse but the fuse box diagrams I have found don't list interior lights. I did find a hit on Youtube, it shows a RH drive car but just flipping the fuse box over should show me the one I need.

Also still dealing with the mystery boost issue, need to go over my logs and probably start a thread separately to get ideas. Sadly I only have one log from before I did the swap and that was back in May when I was logging ignition so I don't have boost requested in it. But in my current logs with the TURBOSMART and the Rev D put back in and acting similarly now it's clearly not an issue with the TURBOSMART. In fact, it seems to show the TURBOSMART allows boost to rise faster than the Rev D, not by a ton, but it is noticeable. Still, with the car not acting like itself can't really make a full review. What's interesting is that the Boost Actual is exceeding the Boost Requested by a large margin so with that, the fact that it doesn't drop power, and there's no noticeable sound it doesn't appear to be a boost leak.

torga

Autocross Champion
Those V2s are such beautiful mounts -- I've got my eye on the 70A set.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Those V2s are such beautiful mounts -- I've got my eye on the 70A set.

I know. LOL

I just kinda wish they made the 85As black, only because I plan to do a lot of blue underhood accents and thought about having the mounts powder coated blue, but then that will look terrible with the green bushings. Heck if I was wishing for things I'd want the 85A bushings in blue, so I could powdercoat the mounts black. lol

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Went to install my new Stg2 BFI motor mounts..............

Found that the engine mount is completely wrong. What's awesome is it doesn't even look like they just sent the wrong part, I can't find anything that looks like this thing anywhere on their site. It's the engine bracket side that's all wrong, the top plate and frame mount looks right. The mount to the engine plate though has a notch in it and should have a protrusion. The mount holes should extend toward the rear of the car, but mine extend slightly towards the front.

This is what it should look like.......

This is what I was sent........LOL

It's crazy, it almost looks like a major manufacturing error not like they just packaged it wrong. Torga sniffed out a possible explanation, the MK4 VR6 mount has the same design bolt holes even though the mount is a different shape. LOL The machine literally must have switch files in the middle of the cut process or something.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Get ready for some sick vibrations at first. my stage1 mounts chilled out for about a month but idk about these stage2's.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Get ready for some sick vibrations at first. my stage1 mounts chilled out for about a month but idk about these stage2's.

Oh I know, I am expecting the car to feel like it's set to vibrate. LMAO

I would have gone Stg2 no matter what since I am fine with a little discomfort if it results in more performance, but the modular and serviceable design BFI has was a real selling point. If I don't like them for normal use I can order a set of Stg1 bushings and swap them in, then just put the Stg 2 bushings back in for track season.

If I go that route I will be buying one of these though,

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...ansverse-engine-support-bar/009595sch01a~sch/

I run a full splash shield so to change mounts and support the engine the cheap way with a floorjack and a block of wood I have to jack the car up and get under it to take the splash shield off. PITA Not an issue for a one time job, but if I'm going to be swapping bushings a couple times a year a specialty tool is called for.

ECS has already requested a replacement kit from BFI based solely on the pictures I sent and issued a return label to send this one back. They also are refunding me the difference between what I paid and what the set is currently on sale for. Now that is next level service.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Thumper

Autocross Champion
The Harbor Freight version of that is a great bargain. I bought one for my clutch instal and it worked great!!

Good on ECS! Maybe they are watching the forum or the dedicated FB page for them 😆

This one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

Jesus, for $80 I might just go grab one this weekend!! I need another tool to try to find room for in my tiny one car garage I'm slumming it in right now. LOL

I actually have a 2-ton engine hoist but it's in the back of the garage behind the summer wheels for the Toaureg, a snowblower, lawnmower, pressure washer, and spare engine for the 944. It's actually easier to drop the shield and use the jack than pulling out the TTRS, then all that crap and then putting it back. LOL

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Nice to see you back in a GTI, Thumper! Glad to see that you're still tracking after our first outing at Sonoma.

Rhod!!!!! Glad to see another familiar face still around.

Hey now, it's an R!! But still the hatchback life.

My wife still blames you for convincing me to hit the track that weekend. LOL I said I would take it out at least once to see what the GTI could do after all the work on it. Just the once. I did 12 track days that year. LMAO Now I'm building the R to be a Time Trials car. ;)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
This one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

Jesus, for $80 I might just go grab one this weekend!! I need another tool to try to find room for in my tiny one car garage I'm slumming it in right now. LOL

I actually have a 2-ton engine hoist but it's in the back of the garage behind the summer wheels for the Toaureg, a snowblower, lawnmower, pressure washer, and spare engine for the 944. It's actually easier to drop the shield and use the jack than pulling out the TTRS, then all that crap and then putting it back. LOL

Yep that't the one. I think I even used a 20% coupon. I bought some different D rings to give me some versatility but it was perfect for the clutch job. Might not offer as much adjustment as a more expensive one but worked for my purposes.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I think I've settled on a name for my build. I was thinking about Serenity because I love Firefly but just doesn't fit.

While Deep Space 9 is not the best Star Trek and not my favorite it does provide inspiration in the form of the USS Defiant. A small ship with engines and weapons systems far above what should be fitted on a craft of it's size. Sounds perfect for a 400+ HP 2-door hatchback. lol

Plus is sounds cool.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Rhod!!!!! Glad to see another familiar face still around.

Hey now, it's an R!! But still the hatchback life.

My wife still blames you for convincing me to hit the track that weekend. LOL I said I would take it out at least once to see what the GTI could do after all the work on it. Just the once. I did 12 track days that year. LMAO Now I'm building the R to be a Time Trials car. ;)

Hahaha! I said the same thing in the beginning. "Just one track day, it's a bucket list thing". Then it turned into a hobby. No regrets :).

Funny I just came back to Sonoma Raceway 2 months ago after a loooong hiatus from track days. Car is still running strong at 195k miles. I've decided to make a run through the HPDE ladder to get my competition license, hopefully that can be accomplished next year. My goal is to also start doing TT :).

A lot of things have happened since last time I seen you (bought a house in Bay Area, got married, have a 2 year old daughter now) and I stopped modding/tracking for a while. But now I'm back modding again getting ready for more track days 🏎

Hope everything is well with you. It's nice to see some OG's on this forum still running with a MK6 :cool:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Funny I just came back to Sonoma Raceway 2 months ago after a loooong hiatus from track days. Car is still running strong at 195k miles. I've decided to make a run through the HPDE ladder to get my competition license, hopefully that can be accomplished next year. My goal is to also start doing TT :).

I hit Sonoma 2 years ago on a trip back to see my family for T-day. Towed the TTRS with me, figured if I was going to be in CA might as well make it count. It was pouring rain the first day but man was it awesome to be back at Sonoma. Hit Laguna Seca the Tuesday afterwards for good measure lol I keep moving and switching regions and switching cars it's been hard to move up. Got my R as my dedicated track car now but I'm moving again (to Idaho) in a few months so we'll see how the Utah region is. Hoping to hit TT next year but may be the year after.

Man, if you moved we could think about getting an Enduro team going, buy a cheap Golf TDI and just wreck the field. LOL

A lot of things have happened since last time I seen you (bought a house in Bay Area, got married, have a 2 year old daughter now) and I stopped modding/tracking for a while. But now I'm back modding again getting ready for more track days 🏎

Congrats on the daughter, future MK6er I hope LOL

Hope everything is well with you. It's nice to see some OG's on this forum still running with a MK6 :cool:

Agreed!!!