GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throwing a CEL with IE catted downpipe?

tomsyco

Passed Driver's Ed
I was throwing a code with my new IE catted downpipe. I decided to try to space out the o2 sensor. I guess I got lucky with my first try, because after a reset and over 100 miles and 5 cycles I have not gotten the CEL back. I had a bank 1 catalyst efficiency below threshold. I used a Dorman 42009 and bored out the center to the bottom of the hole but did not go all the way through the end.

IMG_20190823_154744.jpg

IMG_20190823_154748.jpg

Dorman 42009.jpg

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I was throwing a code with my new IE catted downpipe. I decided to try to space out the o2 sensor. I guess I got lucky with my first try, because after a reset and over 100 miles and 5 cycles I have not gotten the CEL back. I had a bank 1 catalyst efficiency below threshold. I used a Dorman 42009 and bored out the center to the bottom of the hole but did not go all the way through the end.

View attachment 28720

View attachment 28721

View attachment 28722
Have you run a OBD readiness test with VCDS or OBDEleven? I'll be getting my IE pipe put in this weekend and will need to deal with the CEL.

armstrom

Passed Driver's Ed
Great info! Do you recall the diameter you bored the spacer out to? Did you do it by hand with a drill or on a lathe? Also, it looks like you left ~2-3mm of material at the end, is that about right?

tomsyco

Passed Driver's Ed
Readiness

Have you run a OBD readiness test with VCDS or OBDEleven? I'll be getting my IE pipe put in this weekend and will need to deal with the CEL.

Yes, everything looked good.

tomsyco

Passed Driver's Ed
I bored it out on a lathe, to the thread min diameter. I had read online though that that is about 5/8 of an inch. I'm not sure of my exact measurements. Just make it fit and dont blow through the hole thing haha. I would love to see if this works drilled through though!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I bored it out on a lathe, to the thread min diameter. I had read online though that that is about 5/8 of an inch. I'm not sure of my exact measurements. Just make it fit and dont blow through the hole thing haha. I would love to see if this works drilled through though!
How difficult is it to remove the sensor and the spacer from the top when the IE DP is installed?

tomsyco

Passed Driver's Ed
How difficult is it to remove the sensor and the spacer from the top when the IE DP is installed?

If you didn't tighten it like a gorilla it should come right out. I snugged mine lightly. Put the spacer on in the work parking lot using a knipex plier wrench.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Had no idea the plier wrench existed. Is that the 7 inch?

If you didn't tighten it like a gorilla it should come right out. I snugged mine lightly. Put the spacer on in the work parking lot using a knipex plier wrench.

MiaMk7

Passed Driver's Ed
I used the same thing. And check engine light cleared itself.
However I don’t know if it’s reading too lean. Either way I’ll be unplugging it once my tune comes in.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Similar experience, but without the modification to the spacer:
https://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant-Performance/231/11621/10002/-1

IE DP with tune, all sensors show readiness, no codes, passed emmisions. Looks like the IE DP likes straight spacers with a medium or large orifice.
Any issues with rattling noises from the vibrant spacer? I just got it today and it seems like it may rattle. I've also read about a few people complaining about rattling.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Any issues with rattling noises from the vibrant spacer? I just got it today and it seems like it may rattle. I've also read about a few people complaining about rattling.

None that I've noticed. And I do quite a bit of windows down driving.